KiteLife Forum

Indoor Help

RescueRev

Hi Revers,

I just started flying my Indoor at the athletic club. The room is 40'X40' with 20' ceilings. Today was my first go at it and I am sure there are no flies left in that room . I can do a 360 in forward flight about every time I try and a 360 in reverse flight about 30% of the time. My first question is what is the proper hand positions for these moves. I sometimes wind up with a hand over my head. Is this normal? Also when doing a 360 in forward flight and the kite starts to drift close to the floor I have the top wing pulled in. Do I need to let the top wing out before I pop the kit? I failed most of the time recovering the kite at this point. I figure this is a good point to start my learning curve. I am looking forward to getting good at flying the indoor Rev with a little help from the forum.

RescueRev

As for a reverse 360, I tend to lead the kite around with my hands about 1-2 ft apart. The tricky thing about reverse indoors is that the kite will overcontroll quite easily. If you notice any air getting behind the sail, let off the break on that side a bit.

For forward 360's, Keep your hands from 2"- 2ft apart and lead that kite around. When I say lead the kite, make sure you are telling the kite where to go. If you move your hands just a little ahead of the kite it tends to work well, just be careful not to get too ahead of it.

As for a reverse 360, I tend to lead the kite around with my hands about 1-2 ft apart. The tricky thing about reverse indoors is that the kite will overcontroll quite easily. If you notice any air getting behind the sail, let off the break on that side a bit.

For forward 360's, Keep your hands from 2"- 2ft apart and lead that kite around. When I say lead the kite, make sure you are telling the kite where to go. If you move your hands just a little ahead of the kite it tends to work well, just be careful not to get too ahead of it.

Hi Watty,

I will try your advice tomorrow. JB said to try flying with as much break as possible. I was using as little break as possible. It worked much better the JB way. I could feel the kite much better with more brakes and it flew much slower. I was also having problems changing directions before I added more breaks. Penny advised me to taking a step or two backwards when starting a bicycle turn to go the other way around the room. This worked out very well now that I had more brakes and could feel the kite better. The down side was I over corrected the bicycle turn just about every time. At this point I think I just need to slow down and take more time to do the bicycle turn. I believed I put to much momentum on the kite and I couldn't think fast enough to apply a little break to the top wing. Oh well practice should fix that. Thanks for the help.

RescueRev

John, you've hit the next weird part of the indoor Rev... It doesn't bicycle the same way outdoor Revs do.

When bicycling my Indoor Rev, my hands need to stay within about 4"-6" of each other (keeping your wrists fairly close), otherwise I don't get a clean rotation.

Hi John,

You are absolutely wright. Today when doing a half bicycle turn to go the other way went pretty good. Every time I got into a little trouble I noticed my hands were far apart. At this point I brought my hands back together and recovered almost every time. Also it was always my top hand that got out of position and I lost the feel of the kite. When I pulled my top hand back down to just above my waist next to my right hand the sail filled and I could feel the kite again. It also pulled the top wing t words me which allowed me to fly the kite around the room if I wanted to.

Also the other day Dean and I went flying out doors in a large field. I had flown my indoor kite three time prior to this. Guess what when we got to the field there was little to no wind. We flew anyway and I had far better success then ever before. I learned to slow down relax and only use small and slow movements on the handles and keep the kite moving no matter what.It worked pretty good and when I was flying the kite I kept it up about 60% to 70% of the time and only made about four walks of shame in about 1.5 hours. Things are looking up:)

RescueRev

Hi Watty,

I will try your advice tomorrow. JB said to try flying with as much break as possible. I was using as little break as possible. It worked much better the JB way. I could feel the kite much better with more brakes and it flew much slower. I was also having problems changing directions before I added more breaks. Penny advised me to taking a step or two backwards when starting a bicycle turn to go the other way around the room. This worked out very well now that I had more brakes and could feel the kite better. The down side was I over corrected the bicycle turn just about every time. At this point I think I just need to slow down and take more time to do the bicycle turn. I believed I put to much momentum on the kite and I couldn't think fast enough to apply a little break to the top wing. Oh well practice should fix that. Thanks for the help.

RescueRev

Hi Watty,

I put a reply to JB's post that should cover how today went. Also you were wright on about leading the kite it worked great. Thank you for the help. I won't be flying the indoor tomorrow. My friend Ron is coming down from Portland and we are going to Newport to fly on the beach so I won't fly the indoor again until Monday. I will give everyone an update next week. Thanks again for the advice.

RescueRev

Hi Watty,

I put a reply to JB's post that should cover how today went. Also you were wright on about leading the kite it worked great. Thank you for the help. I won't be flying the indoor tomorrow. My friend Ron is coming down from Portland and we are going to Newport to fly on the beach so I won't fly the indoor again until Monday. I will give everyone an update next week. Thanks again for the advice.

RescueRev

Always glad to help. ;D

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Watty,

RescueRev

Always glad to help. ;D

Hi Watty,

I could use your help again with my indoor Rev. When I am flying the kite vertical (leading edge at 12 & 6) in forward flight I have been trying to do a 360 and continue in the same direction I was going in. I am using 10' lines that came with the kite. They appear to be 50# test or less. I can complete the 360 ok but can't control the kit after that. Am I trying the impossible or what do I need to do? The kite falls out of the air when the 360 is completed. I can go from forward flight to reverse flight about 90% of the time now without either wing fluttering. I can reverse directions very smoothly and do pretty good on the up and overs. I have also learned that I can walk so slow that you would think the kite has no chance of flying but it still flies. This is a very cool kite.

RescueRev

John, you've hit the next weird part of the indoor Rev... It doesn't bicycle the same way outdoor Revs do.

When bicycling my Indoor Rev, my hands need to stay within about 4"-6" of each other (keeping your wrists fairly close), otherwise I don't get a clean rotation.

Hi John,

I could use your help again with my indoor Rev. When I am flying the kite vertical (leading edge at 12 & 6) in forward flight I have been trying to do a 360 and continue in the same direction I was going in. I am using 10' lines that came with the kite. They appear to be 50# test or less. I can complete the 360 ok but can't control the kit after that. Am I trying the impossible or what do I need to do? The kite falls out of the air when the 360 is completed. I can go from forward flight to reverse flight about 90% of the time now without either wing fluttering. I can reverse directions very smoothly and do pretty good on the up and overs. I have also learned that I can walk so slow that you would think the kite has no chance of flying but it still flies. This is a very cool kite.

RescueRev

Hi RescueRev,

I'm not quite sure what i is you are having trouble with, but I have a couple of guesses...

1) When flying the kite streight up or down, you do a 360degree spin then continue in the same direction.

If this is right, then what may help is to slowly move backwards while doing the spin, and keep equal tension on all four lines. Make the spin using more wrist movements rather than arm movements.

2) When flying around in a 360, you do a 360 degree spin, then continue your original 360.

If this is right, what may help is to stop the kite completely before doing the spin. Keep the kite in a side hover for a moment until you have equal tension on all lines, then perform the spin as described in the previous guess, and continue on your merry way.

If none of these are what you need help with, then I think I need a bit more explaining to catch on... :innocent:

Hi RescueRev,

I'm not quite sure what i is you are having trouble with, but I have a couple of guesses...

1) When flying the kite streight up or down, you do a 360degree spin then continue in the same direction.

If this is right, then what may help is to slowly move backwards while doing the spin, and keep equal tension on all four lines. Make the spin using more wrist movements rather than arm movements.

2) When flying around in a 360, you do a 360 degree spin, then continue your original 360.

If this is right, what may help is to stop the kite completely before doing the spin. Keep the kite in a side hover for a moment until you have equal tension on all lines, then perform the spin as described in the previous guess, and continue on your merry way.

If none of these are what you need help with, then I think I need a bit more explaining to catch on... :innocent:

Hi Watty,

#2 best describes what I am trying to do. I was wondering if my lines are too short and if it would work better with a 90# line set. I have been told that the 90# lines when wrapped side one each other better then a 50# line set. I don't know if this is true or not. By your response it looks to me that a 360 spin is possible as discribed in the #2 response above. I tried today for about 30 minutes and could not control the kite after the 360 spin. I will try again tomorrow and pay close attention to keeping equal line tension on all four lines. What do you think about changing to a 90# line set?

RescueRev

Hi RescueRev,

Hi Watty,

#2 best describes what I am trying to do. I was wondering if my lines are too short and if it would work better with a 90# line set. I have been told that the 90# lines when wrapped side one each other better then a 50# line set. I don't know if this is true or not. By your response it looks to me that a 360 spin is possible as discribed in the #2 response above. I tried today for about 30 minutes and could not control the kite after the 360 spin. I will try again tomorrow and pay close attention to keeping equal line tension on all four lines. What do you think about changing to a 90# line set?

RescueRev

I've actually never used a 90 lb set indoors... ;) At the time when I got my indoor line sets, I just went with whatever sounded more fitting for indoors, and I bought some bulk 50lb Shanti Speed, and made all the indoor line sets I have today.

After the spin, when does the kite do? Does it sort of lose it's power and sort of float out of the sky? This may happen if you try to make the spin to go too quick. As with going backwards, some air will get behind the sail and cause all of your control to go away. This is why keeping tension on all lines is helpful. When starting out, do a nice slow and controlled spin, then eventually you can build up more and more speed while keeping tension on the lines. When doing a fast spin, you may have to sort of jog backwards to keep your tension on the lines.

Hi RescueRev,

Hi Watty,

RescueRev

I've actually never used a 90 lb set indoors... ;) At the time when I got my indoor line sets, I just went with whatever sounded more fitting for indoors, and I bought some bulk 50lb Shanti Speed, and made all the indoor line sets I have today.

After the spin, when does the kite do? Does it sort of lose it's power and sort of float out of the sky? This may happen if you try to make the spin to go too quick. As with going backwards, some air will get behind the sail and cause all of your control to go away. This is why keeping tension on all lines is helpful. When starting out, do a nice slow and controlled spin, then eventually you can build up more and more speed while keeping tension on the lines. When doing a fast spin, you may have to sort of jog backwards to keep your tension on the lines.

Hi Watty,

Thank you for you inputs, I will try what you are suggesting tomorrow. If I try 90# lines I will let you know how that works out.

RescueRev

Hi RescueRev,

If none of these are what you need help with, then I think I need a bit more explaining to catch on... ;)

Hi Watty,

RescueRev

I've actually never used a 90 lb set indoors... :blushing: At the time when I got my indoor line sets, I just went with whatever sounded more fitting for indoors, and I bought some bulk 50lb Shanti Speed, and made all the indoor line sets I have today.

Hi Watty,

Thank you for you inputs, I will try what you are suggesting tomorrow. If I try 90# lines I will let you know how that works out.

RescueRev

Hi Watty,

I did what you suggested and It worked out OK. I learned you haft to have pressure on all four lines like you said to do a 360 and keep flying in the direction you were going. I have managed to do two 360's and keep flying. I also noticed that once you have done a 360 and have that twist in all four lines the inputs to the kite need to be much smaller and that is where I made many errors also. Thanks again for your help.

RescueRev

Hi RescueRev,

If none of these are what you need help with, then I think I need a bit more explaining to catch on... ;)

Hi Watty,

RescueRev

I've actually never used a 90 lb set indoors... :blushing: At the time when I got my indoor line sets, I just went with whatever sounded more fitting for indoors, and I bought some bulk 50lb Shanti Speed, and made all the indoor line sets I have today.

Hi Watty,

RescueRev

Hi Watty,

I did what you suggested and It worked out OK. I learned you haft to have pressure on all four lines like you said to do a 360 and keep flying in the direction you were going. I have managed to do two 360's and keep flying. I also noticed that once you have done a 360 and have that twist in all four lines the inputs to the kite need to be much smaller and that is where I made many errors also. Thanks again for your help.

RescueRev

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Remember whenever you change direction the kite it is at it's heaviest, so a step back, or pulling more with your arms will keep it up. Soon you'll learn to preact for those turns.. as well as a step away to give it the necessary lift. If you pull with your arms, if you don't remember to put them forward again, you will run out of pull.

Since I also say you steer with the bottom of your handles try swinging the bottom of your handles more when you want to turn it out of a spin, or other move. Not like windshield wipers, but like a swing.. left to right and get the up in on the bottom of those handles.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the weight matters so much on the wraps, but the length sure does. Good luck! BB Penny ~who's glad to be home.