merrik

HQ Maestro

9 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone had flown or reviewed this kite in the past.

I believe it is the successor to the Phoenix.

I was looking at this kite as it is within my price range (£100 max) and seems to be fairly well stocked.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Create Custom T-Shirts
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone had flown or reviewed this kite in the past.

I believe it is the successor to the Phoenix.

I was looking at this kite as it is within my price range (£100 max) and seems to be fairly well stocked.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

There is so many better kties out there , if you wanna spend that much money.

Ah well...

maybe the lack of reviews for HQ kites speaks louder than words.

Having done some hunting i think my new aquisition will be a Prism E3... so will have to wait a month or so.

There is so many better kties out there , if you wanna spend that much money.

Ever flown the kite?

Hey There

SO you want a FULL review on the Maestro do ya. Well first rather than the garbage words of the few lets say Ive been flying 25yrs and I have been a COMP pilot!~! I'll leave it at that. I have a STUDENT, whos Very first true stunt kite was a Maestro.

Facts are 1) its is a Larger kite. 2) It has Moderate pull with the Batton / stand off sail 3 ) It will do most all OLD school tricks with EASE!~! Even for the beginer. 4 ) It is Very Cheap and easy to repair if you should Break it. ( My student has several times.) 5 ) Its learning curve is fairly simple and yet the Kite TALKs back to you a LOT which is a Great teaching AID. 6 ) It loves to be flown with more Punch and pull turns. 7 ) The lines that come with that kite are a 45.00 line set and are very worth the cost. and are comperable to the laser pro gold lines (IMO). 8 ) The sail is sewn well and is CLEAN in the AIR will NO FLUTTER.

Now how it flies, It comes with a Trim set up on the top spreader junction. It is a O K system however as a Kite buiilder it should be better. The frame is a GOOD frame that can hold up to a fair amount of abouse. As a whole this kist can really fly and teach you more than most kites and yet will come up a bit short in its STOCK configurations in other ways!~! It is a Intermediate kite and it does a GREAT JOB in doing what it was designed to do. With the right set of hands at the end of the strings It will out do kites in its class.

This kite truns well and with a few simple adjustments it can turn so tight the wing tips will actually lope Backwards on the inside wing. GREAT for getting into Tight Higher performing Comets etc. That demand Fast reacting skills.

The kite is a BIT weak in its lower spreaders. It comes with 220's if memory serves me right. IF you break them I would suggest you up that to 240's lower spreaders. The Sail is impecable and is done quite well. The bridal is a doubled up'ed tri angle One on top of the other. The yo yo catchers are in the right spot but come off easiliy. Get a Wire tie on them ASAP!~!~!

The Tail weight is a Great option to use once you get the basics down pat!~! Learn to do your Stalls. Side slides. Ground work. Relaunches. Basic ROUND CIRCLES and perfect figure eights. This kite will Axel and Double axel all day long once you learn the proper Technique. It will yoyo and Ya susan with easy. Cascades will rise or fall depending on YOU!~!~!~! YOU need to be able to GET YOUR DANCE ON While flying this kite. It is BIG and you need to manage the wind over this kite in much over 8 to 10 MPH. However the set up trim system handles up too about 15mph fairly well

Now making this Kite a HOT ass Kite is EASY thing to do. Once my student got thru all the basics and beating hime self up with the learning process. I asked him if he wanted me to make this kite Really fly well.

By moving the lower preader connector down 1/2 inch and that is ALL you need. and then by simply taking that Bridal right there and Wrapping it around the Leading edge TWICE!~!~! ( THIS IS CHEATING ) It is around Once in the stock position. Rather than RE tying all the knots in the bridal! This kite really gets turn responsive and starts to slide and turn all over the place. Yes this does set off the triangles. However it is NOT ENOUGH to make that big of a difference. Now for the TRIM system as a Kite buiilder I would say Rebuild it and make it a 1/2 inch longer! and the Knots only 3/8 of a inch a part rather than the 1/2 they are now. This gives you a MUCH wider and finite control of your stall charicteristics of your kite. HOWEVER LEARN TO FLY YOUR KITE FIRST!~!~! Then CONTACT ME and Ill Help you through this!~!

I am now flying this kite and doing things most people wont do. Examples. a Full 540 or 720 spin 15 to 20 ft off the ground into a DEAD stall and then Side Slide the KITE to the ground. Touching the wing tip with a Balneced moment and then a snap relaunch 180 off the other way. This is a Very Controlled move and is NOT easy to do from that kind of hiegth.

GIVE THIS kite some SERIOUS THOUGHT!~! I will get SLOW PRO on here and see if I can get him to do his own write up about his kite Before and then Afterwards for you!~!

Fast EDDY

1 person likes this

I have just started flying with my HQ maestro and I'm looking for some advice on the balancing weight on the spine of the kite.

I'm new to stunt kite free styling but have flown Quadro-line revolutions quite a lot.

The two tricks I'm looking to start off with are the ½ axel and the fade. For the fade I know that a weight is needed to hold the kite in that delicate position but I'm not sure what's best to start off with. I have two brass ferrules, which slide onto the bottom of the spine, these weigh 5 grams each. I also have the short weight that fits on the end of the spine rod and forms a 'T' when fitted that weighs 14 grams. So, as a beginner and as you become a more experienced pilot what are the recommended weights for balancing the kite?

I have just started flying with my HQ maestro and I'm looking for some advice on the balancing weight on the spine of the kite.

I'm new to stunt kite free styling but have flown Quadro-line revolutions quite a lot.

The two tricks I'm looking to start off with are the ½ axel and the fade. For the fade I know that a weight is needed to hold the kite in that delicate position but I'm not sure what's best to start off with. I have two brass ferrules, which slide onto the bottom of the spine, these weigh 5 grams each. I also have the short weight that fits on the end of the spine rod and forms a 'T' when fitted that weighs 14 grams. So, as a beginner and as you become a more experienced pilot what are the recommended weights for balancing the kite?

Hi Jules,

It's just trial and error, find what works the best for you. I like less weight in my kites than most people. The weight isn't really what holds a fade, it's the pilot that holds a fade. Smooth wind helps.

I have an HQ Maestro, bought it because I liked the way it looked, and keep it to use as a guest kite, in case someone is interested in flying when I'm out in the field. I never changed the kite from the way it comes from the factory, so I guess I'm not much help.

~Rob.

Hi Jules,

It's just trial and error, find what works the best for you. I like less weight in my kites than most people. The weight isn't really what holds a fade, it's the pilot that holds a fade. Smooth wind helps.

I have an HQ Maestro, bought it because I liked the way it looked, and keep it to use as a guest kite, in case someone is interested in flying when I'm out in the field. I never changed the kite from the way it comes from the factory, so I guess I'm not much help.

~Rob.

Hi Rob!

You know what it's like when you're new to these things: any help is welcome. I'm not in a club and have to fend for myself apart from forums so, I'm grateful for your comments. Have you found the Maestro unsatisfactory in it's performance? I'm considering a Prism E3 at the moment, I'm sure that's a lot more coveted for it's performance but I'm probably not really ready for that. I did manage to knock out some half axels the other day but it was in strong wind and so wasn't really ideal. I'll be flying tomorrow in lighter wind, if the forecast is correct.

I'll give getting into a fade a try too.

Julian

Have you seen Randy Greenway's trick tutorials?

http://sportkiteflyer.spaces.live.com/

Scroll down, along the right side you'll see video downloads, and a little further down are iPod versions.

When I added tricks to my bag in 2005, Randy's videos were very instrumental in my learning process...

They will be again as I try to learn the Crazy Copter, Taz Machine and Multi-Slot before next year. :)