KiteLife Forum

What lines fdo you fly with?

JoneZ

Just wondering what length of lines all you trick flyers out there fly with. I've been testing a couple lengths (100ft - 65ft.), and thought I'd start a post for no good reason. :innocent:

100ft. lines are great for me, but I was thinking of strapping my 65ft lines on for faster inputs. Im thinking just having the kite closer could help in my precision tricking (ie. making small correction inputs in things like flic flacs).

~Jon

Never less than 120' of 30#,50#,90# unless flying space is restricted. More repetitions of gravity dictated tricks & bigger window for figures.

wow. 30# lines? Im assuming thats on a UL or SUL?

I've been trying to figure out what kind of pull (in Lbs.) my Widow has, but can't find anything on it. That would be pretty helpful in finding the right lineset. Allowing me to maximize my light wind flying experience.

btw. I flew in 3Mph winds no problem last week. I had to remove my top spreader, but she flew great. :innocent:

~Jon

Hi Jon,

I can really relate to the long line fans. Lots of folks, especially comp guys or those influenced by that really like long lines. I'm pretty much the opposite. I like really short lines. Favorites are 50' but I often use 40' as well. With my Widow (love that kite!) I tend to go a bit longer, especially because that kite does so well in higher winds. So I keep a 60' and something upwards of 75' or 100'. I think its really about what you like to do. No right or wrong, just different advantages to both.

Enjoy that Widow!

Dave

Right on. I strapped my 65" lineset yesterday, and flew in low winds (barely). I agree with bigwheels about gravity based tricks being hard with shorter lines. I think it would be less of an issue if I had a UL or SUL, but an STD like my Widow -- you give a pull, you're 4 feet closer to the ground.

I was still able to wrap some yoyos, and actually pulled off a yo-fade. :innocent:

On a lateral note::: I hear all this jive about spectra vs. dacron vs. dyneema. I know dacron has more elasticity than spectra, but I havent heard boo about Dyneema lines.

Are they comparable/better than spectra? Or is it just another instance of user preference?

Cheers!!

~Jon ;)

i use 100ft for general practice, 50ft if i'm getting the feel of a trick and when there is low wind and/or low space

with 50 you get to see everything up close & the kite get a bit more-ah- festive? ;) gotta stay on your toes with 50 :blushing:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I feel most comfortable with 85', but that's probably just because my first stunt kite, the Quantum, came with an 85' line set and I have more experience at that distance then any other.

But once in a while I like flying at 200' just for the fun of sooo much sky!! :blink:

The shorter line sets I use with my Prism 3D. If I get too long with her the line drag effects how she flies too much.

Keep It Up!

Duane