KiteLife Forum

An introduction

nosedive

Hi everyone ...

Jeff, total newbie!

I got my first taste of 2 line kites last July on a Premier Jewel, and what a blast!

Recently, my wife surprised me for my birthday with a Premier Trick and Track and had my maiden voyage yesterday with (in beginners terms) MUCH success :innocent:

I'm looking forward to browsing the Kitelife forums to learn as much as I can! I think I'm hooked!

Welcome jeff, here's a link that helped me out a lot when i was very first getting started, try to get these down and you'll be well on your way.

http://www.hiflykites.co.za/free-kite-guid...e-maneuvers.htm

Hey thanks! Now...are those diagrams as if you're looking at your kite from the 'flying' position?

Welcome jeff, here's a link that helped me out a lot when i was very first getting started, try to get these down and you'll be well on your way.

Hey thanks! Now...are those diagrams as if you're looking at your kite from the 'flying' position?

yup, you got it, from the flying position. once you get that down the first trick i learned was the axle.

here's a link to a tutorial on the axle.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/ho...ite-trick-1730/

also, through the help of Spz0 I learned that the easiest way to pull off your first axle (although kite dependent as to whether they like/dislike to axle) is to fly to the edge of the window where your kite starts to stall and practice it there first.

good luck!

yup, you got it, from the flying position. once you get that down the first trick i learned was the axle.

here's a link to a tutorial on the axle.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/ho...ite-trick-1730/

also, through the help of Spz0 I learned that the easiest way to pull off your first axle (although kite dependent as to whether they like/dislike to axle) is to fly to the edge of the window where your kite starts to stall and practice it there first.

good luck!

WOW! Thanks Shanobi!

Hey, stupid beginner question :blushing: In the "axle" ...will my lines cross when the kite rotates, or am I over thinking this? ;)

yeah, they will cross, but that's no big deal at all. just do a quick turn at your leisure when your done (the kite will fly just fine with a few wraps in it. Just make sure you give enough slack to let the kite spin and clear the wing tip. Wing tip snags are the bane of my existence. It took me a bit of practice to be able to tell which way to spin to untangle my line.

Welcome to the Group m8. ;) Glad to have another onboard. :)

In regards to the axle, yes your lines will cross, as with most tricks you do -- and some are even easier with the lines crossed a couple times (like yoyo's from my experience).

Don't listen to Shanobi with his talk about lines, that guy.... Last time we were out, he spent 5 minutes flying his kite around in circles trying to unwind his lines -- turns out he was spinning the wrong way, and another 10 mins of pinwheels ensued. :blushing:

Welcome to the Group m8. :( Glad to have another onboard. :D

In regards to the axle, yes your lines will cross, as with most tricks you do -- and some are even easier with the lines crossed a couple times (like yoyo's from my experience).

Don't listen to Shanobi with his talk about lines, that guy.... Last time we were out, he spent 5 minutes flying his kite around in circles trying to unwind his lines -- turns out he was spinning the wrong way, and another 10 mins of pinwheels ensued. :(

LOL!! :D You guys are nuts!! That is some funny stuff!! OK, ok,...so I don't feel so ...."entwined" now!! GET IT?! :D

Anyhow...thanks!

Looks like good winds today! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just an update .....

It just keeps getting more fun!!

My brother in law (yes, the one who started this mess) is in from California, and for his birthday, my wife and I and his parents suprised him with a Skyburner Freestylist Ultralight (that he's been wanting)!! :w00t:

Well,...now this has REALLY done it for me! Now I can CLEARLY see how you can EASILY need/want/need/want 2 kites! One regular, and one ultra-light! It's never going to end is it?! :)

Anyhow ... 49 and a nice breeze today .....yeah,..I THINK I KNOW WHAT I'LL BE DOING AFTER WORK! :)

Ok, just an update .....

My brother in law (yes, the one who started this mess) is in from California, and for his birthday, my wife and I and his parents suprised him with a Skyburner Freestylist Ultralight (that he's been wanting)!! :w00t:

Well,...now this has REALLY done it for me! Now I can CLEARLY see how you can EASILY need/want/need/want 2 kites! One regular, and one ultra-light! It's never going to end is it?! :)

Anyhow ... 49 and a nice breeze today .....yeah,..I THINK I KNOW WHAT I'LL BE DOING AFTER WORK! :)

hey, jeff:

2 is such a modest number.

if you don't want to quit when the wind is picking up, nor want to put some holes in your Std /regular as you say,

you may look into the vented soon enough.

it's not a bad thing, this love for flying.

to deal with the issue of having more kites then you can fly at one time, just get your family and friends started, then they will soon be more understanding and supportive.....

ps: please don't ask me how many kites we have in our house.

Ok, just an update .....

My brother in law (yes, the one who started this mess) is in from California, and for his birthday, my wife and I and his parents suprised him with a Skyburner Freestylist Ultralight (that he's been wanting)!! :D

Well,...now this has REALLY done it for me! Now I can CLEARLY see how you can EASILY need/want/need/want 2 kites! One regular, and one ultra-light! It's never going to end is it?! B)

hey, jeff:

if you don't want to quit when the wind is picking up, nor want to put some holes in your Std /regular as you say,

to deal with the issue of having more kites then you can fly at one time, just get your family and friends started, then they will soon be more understanding and supportive.....

Litsong,...

That's funny stuff! You know ....yesterday, in the later afternoon, the wind picked up, and my brother in law and I saw a reason for a VENTED also!!! OH NO!!!! :):w00t: Anyhow ...but seriously, ....vented situations are rare for me,...my BIL lives in California and got an Ultralight because that's what HE primarily sees ....an UL and a standard will suit me just fine for a while!

Man is this ...just ..............F_U_N!!! :D

Ok, just an update .....

My brother in law (yes, the one who started this mess) is in from California, and for his birthday, my wife and I and his parents suprised him with a Skyburner Freestylist Ultralight (that he's been wanting)!! :D

Well,...now this has REALLY done it for me! Now I can CLEARLY see how you can EASILY need/want/need/want 2 kites! One regular, and one ultra-light! It's never going to end is it?! B)

hey, jeff:

Litsong,...

That's funny stuff! You know ....yesterday, in the later afternoon, the wind picked up, and my brother in law and I saw a reason for a VENTED also!!! OH NO!!!! :):w00t: Anyhow ...but seriously, ....vented situations are rare for me,...my BIL lives in California and got an Ultralight because that's what HE primarily sees ....an UL and a standard will suit me just fine for a while!

Man is this ...just ..............F_U_N!!! :D

I won't bore you with my Tsunami theory, but we are seeing more winds even in the AM's this year then the past 4 or 5.

BB Penny ~ who needs a new vented, too.

I won't bore you with my Tsunami theory, but we are seeing more winds even in the AM's this year then the past 4 or 5.

BB Penny ~ who needs a new vented, too. Penny,

More AM winds where? I'm 2 years into this kite thing, and in Chehalis-Centralia, the winds are rarely usable.

Recently purchased land on Long Beach Peninsula - is your Tsunami theory predicting a disaster?

Oh my, Oh my - bore us. :)

BB Penny ~ who needs a new vented, too. Penny,

More AM winds where? I'm 2 years into this kite thing, and in Chehalis-Centralia, the winds are rarely usable.

Recently purchased land on Long Beach Peninsula - is your Tsunami theory predicting a disaster?

Oh my, Oh my - bore us. :)

Hi Howard,

My Tsunami theory. 

OK, Remember the big earthquake – Was it 2004? 9.1. W. coast of Sumatra. Killing close to 228,000? Not the most destructive, but it caused a tsunami.. a large tsunami. The earthquake caused an under water mud slide. The mud slide pushed the water ahead of it, which raised up in not a wave, but many waves, traveling 100’s of miles, rearing up 30 feet and creating walls of water that swooped over land. Water lay over the land in large amounts saturating the ground, and evaporating into the atmosphere. More water then usual going into the atmosphere.

The air in front of it did not just disappear. It was forced in long waves, around trees that stood their ground, sending it in many directions for 100’s of miles. Look into the clouds.. Can you imagine this?

When the grandkids were little, we would sit across the room from a light windsock on the other side of the room and blow as hard as we could. Of course, nothing happened. Nevertheless, we would wait about 5 minutes and it would slowly turn. Our little bit of breath-wind traveled that far over time.

Since the earth is like a glass terrarium. Our atmosphere is affected by everything we do, so, I think the tsunami affects our weather.

In the Pacific N.W. lower altitudes, we usually get very little snow. Because the clouds keep us warm around here- above freezing. When it’s sunny our temperatures go down, because the heat escaped up. But without the clouds, we don’t have the moisture for the snow. Now, with more wind from the forced air ahead of the waves, more water from the evaporated water left on land, I think there will be more wind and more rain in the atmosphere. More wind lowers the wind chill creating more snow.

When I first started flying, there was little wind for a few years. Normal days of wind, higher wind, but less wind over all.

About 1997 -99 we had gales of wind more often. A Rev II was my favorite kite in the bag. It was La Nina from the ocean temperatures. She brought more wind, colder temperatures and wetter weather. It’s what she does.. but as a kiteflier, we noticed more wind before they started exclaiming that “La Nina is coming”. Then the winds died down, and became lighter over all. Ultra light kites were a necessity and became more popular.

Howard, we do have what we call a “dead zone” in the early morning, and twilight where the wind stops for a while. For the last 10 years events have brought me in to fly those no wind mornings, and light wind days, but we seem to be having more wind building everywhere I go, so I think the Tsunami will affect our weather. Someone said it couldn’t affect the trade winds, etc. but others say yes.. and a few sites say that we could be writing new script into our weather history. It’s been 5 years. We’ve had more snow and rain. We had a 100 yr. rain storm. How has your weather been?

I’m a beach bum and only live a few hours away from the beach. Our wind is typically cleaner than what you get in land around mountains and valleys.

I’d like to find time to look at earthquakes, Tsunami’s and the weather following them.

But I don’t.. I just think about it and imagine. There’s some fascinating info out there.

La Nina, and El Nino faq’s:

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/elnino/faq.html

Earthquake page:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/

How do earthquakes, El Nino’s and tsunami affect us? It’s fun to look into it, especially since it affects us. Now I wish I’d gone to college.  I’ll just have to fly my kite and experience it.

BB Penny ~who thinks we are still in for a little more wind. You asked. 

• 4 months later...

Hi Penny,

I saved this thread to study it later. Finally got back to it! Make of that what you will.

Cool theory. The physics details would be very complicated, so not likely a good approach to justify the theory. Observed correlations could lend support, but not prove the theory. But that just means your mind is running ahead of the known universe.

Keep questioning.

Glad to finally meet you at WSIKF. :)

Hi everyone ...

Jeff, total newbie!

I got my first taste of 2 line kites last July on a Premier Jewel, and what a blast!

Recently, my wife surprised me for my birthday with a Premier Trick and Track and had my maiden voyage yesterday with (in beginners terms) MUCH success :D

I'm looking forward to browsing the Kitelife forums to learn as much as I can! I think I'm hooked!

Hi Jeff, (sorry, I seem to be a latecomer on welcoming you.)

Welcome to the forum. I've been flying for about a year and a half to two years and you have tapped into a forum that will give you all the knowledge you ever wanted to know...and some that maybe you didn't want to know!! :) I'm not a real great trickster yet, but from what I've learned here I know most of the time what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it!! :)

----------------

And in my opinion you all can play with your theories...but I live in Florida and we deal with realities...we can fly our kites from our livingrooms when the roof blows off...(best to use a vented one then though)!! :)

Keep It Up!

Duane