KiteLife Forum

Bored on a rainy day, so....

JoneZ

I've gotten pretty fed up with the lack of space in my current single bag vs. the amount of gear Im bringing out into the field. that, and 2 kite bags are getting to be a pain for me. And I can see it getting worse as My collection increases.

I've been looking into buying a kite bag, but balking at the prices for the most part. I found an HQ bag for cheap, but the colour is horrible imo, and Im thinking that it might be jinky, since the cost was so low.

SO,,,,, I decided to give making my own kite bag a shot.

Its going to be a quadra-fold bag, secured by velcro (top, middle, bottom), and one wrap-strap in the middle. 4 slots for kites, and 2 pouches on the exterior. The exterior will be Duck material, and the interior slots will be ripstop. This one won't be waterproofed, but if all goes well, the next one will be.

Hope it all goes well. I spent about $45 in supplies, so Im already ahead of the game cost-wise, as opposed to buying a bag..

I'll post pics when Im done.

;)

~Jon

Jon ~

After reading Ben's comments, questions, and kiters suggestions for kite bags... I decided to do the same as you.

Was looking for an inexpensive, sturdy, light weight, bag that would safely hold 4-5 Revs, a couple pair of handles, lines, stakes, and misc. stuff (MP3, head phones, etc.)...

Just finishing up... So far so good...

I'll also post pics...

I just bought a gear bag which was originally meant to hold baseball bats that I'm going to modify into a kite bag for my Revs. They have them at Dick's Sporting Goods for $20. and they seem plenty sturdy. I'm not a fan of the roll out bags.

Btw, I think I have the HQ bag that you mentioned and it is verrrry nice (simple in design, black and purple tube?). It's just too long for my needs, so I use it to store my SLKs.

Btw, I think I have the HQ bag that you mentioned and it is verrrry nice (simple in design, black and purple tube?). It's just too long for my needs, so I use it to store my SLKs.

HQ sells the bag in both a 55" and a 71" length. I bought the 55" length for my SLKs ... then built a ROK that was too long for that bag ... now have a 71" bag on order. They both sell for about $25 from Midwest Kite. It's a very well made bag. Since many of us fly bright gaudy colored kites, what's with shying away from a purple and black bag. BTW, I found embroidery thread in the same shade of purple and personalized mine.

Can't say yet what can be done with the 71" bag, but it would be a simple task to shorten the 55" bag to accommodate revs. The only downside is that pocket storage is internal to the bag proper ... thus, it reduces the internal kite space slightly.

Cheers,

Tom

Well. Im finished, and I think it turned out great. ;) The next one I make will be flawless. There obviously was a bit of a learning curve on this one, but Im still really happy with the outcome.

Here's the pics. :)

First one is of the inside 4 kite pockets.

Second is the backside (the shoulder strap isnt installed yet.)

Third is one of the pockets (closes with velcro)

imgp0717a.th.jpg--imgp0720a.th.jpg--imgp0721a.th.jpg

Tom: What's funny is that I actually did shorten that bag! Wasn't too much trouble, but I did that ~before~ I got into Revs so it's still too long for my collection! :? I don't have a problem with the colors. The BBall bag is just right in size and the space that's allowed for the helmet works great for storing handles, linesets, etc. The whole crux of my own problem is that I need a bag that's not bigger than me (I'm not too tall) or it's awkward to haul around! LOL!

Spz0: Nice work on your bag! Straight to the point. *thumbs up*

FWIW: I don't have any problem buying kite bags from kite makers/dealers/vendors. I ~Do~ want to support these places, it's just that I'm on a very limited budget these days and can't really afford to be spending that kind of money on those bags. :/ Sometimes you need a simple bag to throw in your trunk, sometimes you need a bag for festival and travel use...

<pulls out pen and paper> Now taking Orders! ;)

Maybe a couple more under my belt, and I'll actually think of making some for others. Got to work on my straight line stitching first. lol Wouldn't have thought it that hard to keep a straight line on a sewing machine, but that proved to be more challenging than I initially thought. Lines are straight for the most part, just a couple curves here n there. Glad this wasn't a kite -- would have been a Frankenstein.

Now, if I can only get my hands and feet un-sewn from this damn bag I'll be in good shape.

~Jon

sweet bag man .. im due for a new one

After finishing my ;) SNOW SHOVELING... I finally finished the bag... and if I may so, myself, it turned out pretty nice and meets my needs.

It's made of canvas duck material and measures 38" long x 10" wide. There are two top inside pockets. The first of which is the length (38") of the case, and holds up to 5 Revs along with their original individual cases. The other inside top pocket is 20" deep and holds stakes, extra lines, my MP3 (which is in a removable case which also Velcro's on) and the pocket could also accommodate a bottle of wine. The outside bottom pocket is 18" deep, and easily holds up to three pair of handles wrapped with lines and winders. All the pockets are secured with Velcro. I also added a shoulder strap. Made for under $20, and now everything I need is in one light weight, easy to transport, bag.

post-3749-1238357519_thumb.jpg < Showing three pockets and contents

post-3749-1238357573_thumb.jpg < From top showing two top inside pockets and contents

post-3749-1238357554_thumb.jpg < Everything Velcro secured

post-3749-1238357540_thumb.jpg < Back with shoulder strap and ID tag

Now if it would STOP snowing and warm up a bit, I could get out there and fly... thinking it over... I'll leave the wine behind... for later!

Thats a nice bag m8. I digs. :)

After finishing my ;) SNOW SHOVELING... I finally finished the bag... and if I may so, myself, it turned out pretty nice and meets my needs.

It's made of canvas duck material and measures 38" long x 10" wide. There are two top inside pockets. The first of which is the length (38") of the case, and holds up to 5 Revs along with their original individual cases. The other inside top pocket is 20" deep and holds stakes, extra lines, my MP3 (which is in a removable case which also Velcro's on) and the pocket could also accommodate a bottle of wine. The outside bottom pocket is 18" deep, and easily holds up to three pair of handles wrapped with lines and winders. All the pockets are secured with Velcro. I also added a shoulder strap. Made for under $20, and now everything I need is in one light weight, easy to transport, bag.

post-3749-1238357519_thumb.jpg < Showing three pockets and contents

post-3749-1238357573_thumb.jpg < From top showing two top inside pockets and contents

post-3749-1238357554_thumb.jpg < Everything Velcro secured

post-3749-1238357540_thumb.jpg < Back with shoulder strap and ID tag

Now if it would STOP snowing and warm up a bit, I could get out there and fly... thinking it over... I'll leave the wine behind... for later!

Both bags look good. Designed to meet your needs.

Hope they work well in field tests.

I used to slide my bag under the rear seat of my Land Rover, it is too fat now. So a Jynx bag would be great for that. I would think there is still room in there for a few spare rods too.

Really nice Jynx,

Can I place an order for one??

Wish I could sew

Thanks Mike! ...Bet you're looking for a multi-stack bag... hey? (Good Luck!) You need a trailer NOT a bag!

Waiting to get additional ideas from some of the more experienced fliers... So far it has everything I could think of and meets my needs...

They aren't expensive, to make, but are very time consuming.

In the future (after finalizing a "near-as possible" design) I may have some ideas (locally) on how they could be made-up!

Time will tell!

Yea, nice looking bags.

I know what it's like trying to sew long straight lines. Not easy.

These are some sleds I made to give away, and some seams have a little curve. ( bought the RS from T. @ the kiteshoppe)

I was thinking myself with going with a hard sided golf club bag with small bipod legs to keep the opening up off the ground.

Keeps the the inside stuff dry, and hopefuly the sand and debris from blowing in.

post-2334-1238728312_thumb.jpg

In the picture looking down into the bag????.........Are those mushroom caps????!!!!! :):kid_loved::)

Bratnik ~ You don't give up, do you????????

:) The stakes were copied directly from the photo...

post-3749-1238728423_thumb.jpg

I think of You every time I use 'em... And get REALLY PISSED! ;) ........ :P .........!

In the picture looking down into the bag????.........Are those mushroom caps????!!!!! :):kid_loved::)

Bratnik ~ You don't give up, do you????????

:) The stakes were copied directly from the photo...

post-3749-1238728423_thumb.jpg

I think of You every time I use 'em... And get REALLY PISSED! ;) ........ :P .........!

Arrrrgh...........what a good looking pirate!!!!!!!

You gonna make it east for OC or Wildwood???? Sure do miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!