KiteLife Forum

Rev EXP?

JoneZ

I know,, "Just get the 1.5 or a B series" right?

Well, I need to understand the differences between these different versions of Revs.

So, is there a relatively short answer to this question?

Difference between EXP and the 1.5? Rev I vs. II. What does SLE mean?

From my surface understanding, Im thinking that the EXP is made of less $$ materials (nylon vs. icarex).

But the rest Im pretty much clueless on.

Can someone school this rookie?

~Jon

I know,, "Just get the 1.5 or a B series" right?

Well, I need to understand the differences between these different versions of Revs.

So, is there a relatively short answer to this question?

Difference between EXP and the 1.5? Rev I vs. II. What does SLE mean?

From my surface understanding, Im thinking that the EXP is made of less $$ materials (nylon vs. icarex).

But the rest Im pretty much clueless on.

Can someone school this rookie?

~Jon

Short answer:

The Rev I is the larger of the three and is a slower flying kite. The Rev II is the smallest of the three and is a very quick, less precise flying kite. The Rev 1.5 (std or B-series) seems to be the best balance between speed and precision. That's the kite "size" that most teams fly with.

SLE refers to one of two things: 1) The 7/16" leading edge that many folks claim is too stiff and heavy to be effective in less than gale force wind conditions 2) The non-B-series Rev 1.5 kite ... this is the kite that iQuad has used in the past and 180-GO! still uses as their team kite. The SLE kite comes standard with the SLE leading edge, but many kite shops will switch it out for a 1/4" leading edge at no cost. Again, most flyers will tell you, if you order an SLE, to order it with the 1/4" leading edge. The SUL kite is basically an SLE sized kite with a 2-wrap 1/4" frame standard, lighter weight sail material and a lighter weight bridle.

The EXP is an entry level kite. It is slightly larger than a 1.5, but close enough to have most of the same flight characteristics. If you stay in the hobby and add additional Revs, the EXP is kind of odd man out ... you fly it in the same configuration as you bought it. Many folks have started on an EXP and still have one in their kite bag. If you really think you're going to stay in the Rev end of the hobby, you might be better served to skip the EXP.

End of short answer ...

It's not as bad with Revs as with dualies, or so I'm told, but in both genres, one kite will not handle all wind conditions. You need at least a non-vented and a full-vented 1.5 Rev kite to handle the majority of wind conditions. Every kite after that that you add to your kite bag simply complements what you've already bought. That's the beauty of the 1.5 series ... frames are interchangeable: 2-wrap, 3-wrap, 4-wrap, race rods, SLE 3-wrap, SLE 4-wrap, Silver bullet, doubled leading edge, mixed-wrap frame sets, etc. Then mix and match the SUL, SLE, B-series, Pro-series and their various venting configurations. Plus, add in various line lengths from 10 feet to 120 feet and you have an infinite set of combinations to match the environment and/or your mood.

Once you have your basic kite bag filled with 1.5 revs, you can start branching out into the REV indoor, REV I, REV II, EXP to loan to others, REV I stacks, REV II stacks, progressive stacks ... oh, and surely you'll want a speed series or two ... then there's the BLAST series to investigate.

Cheers,

Tom

That was some great info.

I am also in the market for a Rev.

I left an old fashoned message on your answering machine today T.

When people like Mousie make their custom Rev's, are they just buying spar sets.

I see myself with a custom down the road.

Ken

That was some great info.

I am also in the market for a Rev.

I left an old fashoned message on your answering machine today T.

When people like Mousie make their custom Rev's, are they just buying spar sets.

I see myself with a custom down the road.

Ken

Hi Ken!

Sorry I missed your call! It was SOOOOOO nice out today, Finally!, that I spent the day outside making line sets and playing in the dirt ;)

Jon came by.....I showed him the Sale Revs......

there's red/black in standard and vented, and lime/blue in std and vented. :P

Mousie is pretty well set for spars. She has enough to switch in and out for whatever winds up. When making a new sail, she usually needs end caps, bungee and bridles :)

Another nice day in the works for tomorrow! :)

However, new Prism Single line stuff arrived....might have to go fly :kid_loved:

T

ps....no E3's yet....

Thanks T. :w00t:

I am looking forward to flying my new ( 1st ) Rev.

It was killing me today to get the kite, and have to spend the afternoon doing family stuff.

I have now joined the dark side! :)

(Watty?) I like 1% milk to go with my Oatmeal/ Chocolate chip cookies. :)

Ken

Thanks T. :D

It was killing me today to get the kite, and have to spend the afternoon doing family stuff.

I have now joined the dark side! B)

(Watty?) I like 1% milk to go with my Oatmeal/ Chocolate chip cookies. :)

Ken

Thanks Ken!

Have fun!! :):w00t:

T

Ok, It's Spring, so you'll be outside, but dont' forget an INdoor Rev. You'll want to fly year round regardless of the weather. Knowing how to fly outdoors is not that big of an advantage when you learn inside. So don't forget to look at the indoor for winter.. and those no wind days. You can fly them on long lines, or short. BB Penny

Thanks T. :w00t:

Ken

Ken,

The assumption is that you purchased a red and black standard sail ... correct?

And, your first day of flying went how?

Cheers,

Tom

Yep, it was the red and black. :)

Sad to say, no 1st day yet. :) Had too much on the Husband / Dad "to do" list yesterday.

Like Pennys suggestion, I see an indoor Rev sometime this coming fall.

Ken

Sad to say, no 1st day yet. :sign_kitelife: Had too much on the Husband / Dad "to do" list yesterday.

Ken

Ken,

Come on, give in to the virus, go fly the kite ... and then tell us all about it.

Actually, kids and kites mix very well. I got my son interested in Revs, so now he calls me to go flying. My grandson (4 1/2 years old) comes along with us most times and flys one of his SLKs ... and just generally runs around the field having a good time. All the "don't do that" and "no" and "why did you do that" comments are absent on the flying field, so he really loves it. When he gets bored with simply goofing around, we put him in the car with a DVD player and a video ...

The key phrase is "Honey, I'm going to go spend some time with the kids!" ... with that you're magically transposed from a shiftless kite bum into a caring, nurturing father.

Cheers,

Tom

Yep, it was only a matter of time, I knew that resistance was futile. ( from another program I like) :sign_kitelife:

With the son, dragging him away from the PC that I myself am so addicted to, is not so easy.

He is at the point where friends so very important.

A course that changes when I take him out for his driving lessons.

The kite flying is to calm my nerves. Just wish we had more stable wind. Oh well, it will come.

I think our Basset Hound has more interest in the kites.

After I get it out for it's maiden flight, I'll update.

Ken

Ken, will probably be out at Portland International Raceway on Sunday if you want to come out, I'll help you give it a quick tune up. ;)

If so, call me that morning to be sure I'm there.

503-890-0280

I'm planning on being there too :)

Got to try the modified Jump, and some new Prism stuff :)

Spring is here!

T

Spring is here!

T

WOOHOO!!! :):D

Indeed it is. Was just out for an early dawn flight. Winds are about 8Mph here. Soaked my kite, and the lines from dewy grass, but man... The smell of a warming day, with fresh cut, wet grass is so elating. :)

See you all out there on Sun. ;)

~Jon

Ken, will probably be out at Portland International Raceway on Sunday if you want to come out, I'll help you give it a quick tune up. ;)

If so, call me that morning to be sure I'm there.

503-890-0280

I'm planning on being there too :)

Got to try the modified Jump, and some new Prism stuff :)

Spring is here!

T

Wish I could have made it there, but Sunday is always the 1st day of my workweek. :) ( major suckage )

*can I say that?* :D

Only way for me to have Sundays off is to ask 2 weeks in advance, or call in sick.

And with this weather, my boss would have been tracking me down if I called in sick. ;)

Maybe on a nice Thursday or Friday ( Mondays I work 7am to 7pm)

Thanks for the offer. Now I think I will go find a gloomy corner to sulk in. :)

Ken