KiteLife Forum

Wind Indicator?

nosedive

Hi everyone,...

Does anyone use a wind indicator when flying ? No, not a wind gauge (that tells you the wind speed) but an "indicator" so you can see if the wind direction changes?

Thoughts?

Thanks......

How about a pole with a light ribbon attached to the top...?

The Milwaukee Lakefront, Gifts of Wings Kite Shop, at Veterans Park flying field, has a huge windsock that indicates both direction and speed (as you know... it inflates as the wind speed increases, and it changes direction with the wind).

Nice visual for us.

Yeah. When we were starting, we (I and wife) asked Andy at Ocean Shores Kites for something like a wind-sock. He said he had none, but he disappeared into the backroom and came back shortly with a fiberglass spar and a multi-ribbon streamer attached to one end with a swivel, the other end sharpened, that he built on the spot. Charged us almost nothing!

Now, with a little more experience, I find I do not NEED it as a wind indicator. I just equalize the wind on the back of my two ears, and I'm facing very close to down wind. I splurged on a wind-speed meter so I could calibrate my own estimates.

However, when I take my bag-o-kites to the beach, and plop it down at the dunes edge or driftwood edge, I plant the wind indicator by the bag so that:

1. I can keep an eye on my stuff more easily,

2. I feel it tells passers-by that the bag is not abandoned.

3. It is still useful for indicating the direction and approx speed of the wind. If the wind direction shifts. I often don't notice it while flying.

If you wish to duplicate this indicator, I can pull it out and more carefully describe it. It works very well for direction and approx. wind speed, and it looks cool IMO.

Hi everyone,...

Does anyone use a wind indicator when flying ? No, not a wind gauge (that tells you the wind speed) but an "indicator" so you can see if the wind direction changes?

Thoughts?

Thanks......

Here's the windsock/s at Veterans Park (Milwaukee)...post-3749-1238823202_thumb.jpg... When Piggy flys horizontal, get out the vented!

Yeah. When we were starting, we (I and wife) asked Andy at Ocean Shores Kites for something like a wind-sock. He said he had none, but he disappeared into the backroom and came back shortly with a fiberglass spar and a multi-ribbon streamer attached to one end with a swivel, the other end sharpened, that he built on the spot. Charged us almost nothing!

Now, with a little more experience, I find I do not NEED it as a wind indicator. I just equalize the wind on the back of my two ears, and I'm facing very close to down wind. I splurged on a wind-speed meter so I could calibrate my own estimates.

However, when I take my bag-o-kites to the beach, and plop it down at the dunes edge or driftwood edge, I plant the wind indicator by the bag so that:

1. I can keep an eye on my stuff more easily,

2. I feel it tells passers-by that the bag is not abandoned.

3. It is still useful for indicating the direction and approx speed of the wind. If the wind direction shifts. I often don't notice it while flying.

If you wish to duplicate this indicator, I can pull it out and more carefully describe it. It works very well for direction and approx. wind speed, and it looks cool IMO.

I like this idea for all of your reasons Howard.

We all often abandon kit on the beach or field, using this to "stake your claim" to your belongings is great.

Where we fly the wind is very shifty. We have a small windsock...but I have been thinking of getting something bigger and more colorful. We are the only ones that seem to fly there. So I thought getting something that say's...Hey..those kite people are flying! And of course...because we are Newbies and are still developing the feel of the wind. We sometimes forget that "wind" part cause we are concentrating on the flying part.

Sometimes even in shifty wind conditions, I don't know that the more experenced flyers can adjust fast enough. As a 1-2 year newbe, I have had kites literally tumble out off the sky when the wind shifts 180 degrees.

Ken

I use the fuzz on my ears... No external indicators. :)

So now I have tis mental image of fuzz protruding out from your ears to test the wind, then nipping back into the warm of your "ear-ole" so that it is not de-sensatised by too much exposure to the wind.

This is obviously special fuzz for Rev Jedi.

So now I have tis mental image of fuzz protruding out from your ears to test the wind, then nipping back into the warm of your "ear-ole" so that it is not de-sensatised by too much exposure to the wind.

Actually, hair growing out of your ears happens naturally as you get older. God has a funny sense of humor ... damn hair stops growing on top of your head and starts sprouting in other places.

Growing old is not for the weak of heart!

Cheers,

Tom

I'll usually check to see if an area has flags flying first. If they don't, I have 2 options: I have 2 obnoxiously colored baby streamers that I'll put onto my kite stake. Also I have long hair, so if the wind isn't in my face I know it's shifting.

Actually, hair growing out of your ears happens naturally as you get older. God has a funny sense of humor ... damn hair stops growing on top of your head and starts sprouting in other places.

Growing old is not for the weak of heart!

Cheers,

Tom

I SO understand where you are coming from here Tom.

When I was younger I used to see folks with hair out their ears, and bushy straggly eyebrows and used to think eyuchhh. Why on earth do they let that happen.

Now of course I am the right side of 50 and it is happening to me.

Oh well, all the better to tell where the wind is, and its speed.

Maybe I could get Jynx to make me a colorful Banner? He did all right on his kite bag. I would ask SpzO...but he is about to take the plunge...and is preoccupied with his upcoming nuptual. :)

Also I have long hair, so if the wind isn't in my face I know it's shifting.

Funny that as when the wind blows, I always have a face full of hair :)

with one exception: whilst dog staking!

D'oh! You're right! I should have clarified that the wind has to be in my face when I'm setting up! :)

somewhat off topic, but my friend sent me this link.

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDetails....ductCode=AR-816

Wind meter w/Beaufort scale and temp gauge.

pretty cheap for what it offers.

True ...but for pure wind INDICATION for direction....something showing the direction-change would be great, especially for a beginner. I've noticed too, that if you go out after dinner,...later evening ....it gets fairly inconsistent .....

Hah! I use to live in Windsor Ontario m8. I definitely know that afternoon wind you're talking about.

Just too bad I hadn't discovered sport kiting while I was there. Theres some great wind off Lake St. Clair in the aft. :)

~Jon

somewhat off topic, but my friend sent me this link.

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDetails....ductCode=AR-816

Wind meter w/Beaufort scale and temp gauge.

pretty cheap for what it offers.

True ...but for pure wind INDICATION for direction....something showing the direction-change would be great, especially for a beginner. I've noticed too, that if you go out after dinner,...later evening ....it gets fairly inconsistent .....