KiteLife Forum

Desire UL

Upnet

Needed a light wind kite. Chose this one. However..it seems really squirrelly. Flew in 3-7mph. Upon launch, I can fly to the top of the window...but then it has a tendency to turn right...sometimes left... very quickly and dive down. I have tried to be subtle with my inputs....to no avail. Flights look crazy...left right..right left. Everything on the kite looks fine...maybe my newbieness is showing?? I can fly my Cherry Bomb, my Acrobatx and my wife's Prism Quantum...no problem. This one though....I don't know what to think. Is it supposed to be this touchy? Winds were inconsistent. Once, the wind died as I was at the top of the window. Was able to back her straight down to land...no problem. Using the 80' line set that came with it. Also tried a 50' set. But that made it worse. The bridle looks fine. Nothing seems to be out of whack. Any thoughts? :)

I've only got a few minutes flying one, and while the kite is appreciated by many, it's not my cup of tea.

Wouldn't know where to start... Should fly in a deer fart though. ;)

exactly! and it should fly equally as well in 7-10 deer farts! My first guess is that the bridle is tucked under the t-fitting or something as obvious as caught at the tail piece. It really shouldnt be acting like that. Maybe the nose tipped back too far? hmmm.

Before messing with the outer legs of the bridle, I'd do a thorough evaluation on the primary settings.

Otherwise you'd be modifying the kite to make it fly right, which shouldn't be necessary.

Once it flies right, then you might very well find some value in modifying. ;)

Upnet, could I suggest you post a clear photo of the kite fully set up on the field, with all bridle lines pulled straight?

One photo from the front, and one from the side.

That should help us evaluate the problem. ;)

Will do. It has three lines on each side. I double checked to make sure the bridle was not hung up on the lower spreader or the upper spreader. When I hold the kite by the pigtails...belly up nose away... tail towards me...there seems to be equal tension on all the lines. Kite appears to hang fairly flat. Will double check and take pix. The kite seems very sensitive..in that it seems to want dive. Either left or right so I am having to crank in opposite inputs all the time. I am new..but do not have this problem on my other kites. I appreciate the help. Maybe the pix will help. Will try to post them sometime tonight.

Thanks All.

Upnet, could I suggest you post a clear photo of the kite fully set up on the field, with all bridle lines pulled straight?

One photo from the front, and one from the side.

That should help us evaluate the problem. ;)

PIX If these aren't good enough I will try some outdoor shots. Curious about the right side loop from the center leading edge line. Looks different from the left side center leading edge line.

post-4131-1239671537_thumb.jpg

post-4131-1239671556_thumb.jpg

post-4131-1239671577_thumb.jpg

post-4131-1239671608_thumb.jpg

post-4131-1239671918_thumb.jpg

It looks like a pretty responsive kite, so Im sure the inputs have to be much more subtle than a STD.

Also try measuring your lines and making sure they are equal lengths from the tow point. If the left upper leg is set farther towards the nose than the right, that will definitely cause control issues. A tailors measuring tape from the dollar store works great. I keep one in my bag. ;)

Could you post a pic of your bridle lines drawn in taught towards the spine and the lower spreaders (Im interested to see the length and the angle of the upper and outer legs)?

~Jon

• 2 weeks later...
That little bit of slack is normal... at least it is on all of mine. Try pulling the nose forward just a bit. so it doesn't hang perfectly flat like you mentioned. It is a sensitive kite, but this *should* help.

Carl is correct, adjust the main line so that the nose leans forward. Slide the adjustment ink mark down about 1/2" below the tow point toward the center-T.

By your pictures, it looks as though you have the newer versions of the Desire UL.

(Explanation below).

Carl may or may not know this, but last year New Tech Kites changed the factory location for some of there kites, and now the same factory that makes Flying Wings Kites, also makes some of the NTK Stunt kites, including making the Desire UL,. I have 4 of the new versions and they are different than the old versions. For example, there is more camber/curve in the leading edge, and the bridle line adjustment ink mark seems to be incorrectly marked too low on the main line., the center-T is different, and they are using a taiwan made carbon frame instead of Avia.

When our Team TKO first tried to fly the new versions, last year while at an event in Bogota, Colombia, we experienced the same problems with too much overstear and they wouldn't fly in as light of wind as our older Desire UL's.

The only thing you can do to make them fly better is adjust the bridle adjustment ink mark, so that it pulls the nose/top of the kite forward more, this will help eliminate some overstear and also help it fly better in lighter wind.

Carl is correct, adjust the main line so that the nose leans forward. Slide the adjustment ink mark down about 1/2" below the tow point toward the center-T.

By your pictures, it looks as though you have the newer versions of the Desire UL.

(Explanation below).

Carl may or may not know this, but last year New Tech Kites changed the factory location for some of there kites, and now the same factory that makes Flying Wings Kites, also makes some of the NTK Stunt kites, including making the Desire UL,. I have 4 of the new versions and they are different than the old versions. For example, there is more camber/curve in the leading edge, and the bridle line adjustment ink mark seems to be incorrectly marked too low on the main line., the center-T is different, and they are using a taiwan made carbon frame instead of Avia.

When our Team TKO first tried to fly the new versions, last year while at an event in Bogota, Colombia, we experienced the same problems with too much overstear and they wouldn't fly in as light of wind as our older Desire UL's.

The only thing you can do to make them fly better is adjust the bridle adjustment ink mark, so that it pulls the nose/top of the kite forward more, this will help eliminate some overstear and also help it fly better in lighter wind.

Thanks T. So that's what over steer is. Actually flew the kite yesterday in 6-8mph. Used my first three fingers in the handles instead of wrists. Had more control. However, the knot on the right side pigtail came loose and I suffered from an extreme case of line limp! Re tied the knot and let the wife fly for a little while. Darn if the knot didn't slip again, and in the ensuing crash, one of the stand offs broke. ;) Need parts. Will attempt to adjust the bridle. Gonna have to learn to do it sooner or later.

Hi, sorry you are experiencing problems. Sounds like unequal line or bridle length to me. Double check them.

If you are one of those fliers that immediately tries to slack line a kite no matter what it is, you will not like the desire Ul. It is not that kind of kite. It is and marketed by NTK as, a beginner to intermediate UL.. If you dont want to spend a lot of money on a UL, but you want to fly in almost no wind, then the Desire UL is for you.

If you want to run around and try to slack line fly a UL, you should consider something else. This kite allows the newer flier to fly in very low winds at an affordable price and it is appreciated by the many. More experienced fliers probably wont like it but the newer ones love it!

. Although I dont have anything to do with NTK anymore, I will be happy to help you with it, just shoot me an email.

Dodd

Hi, sorry you are experiencing problems. Sounds like unequal line or bridle length to me. Double check them.

If you are one of those fliers that immediately tries to slack line a kite no matter what it is, you will not like the desire Ul. It is not that kind of kite. It is and marketed by NTK as, a beginner to intermediate UL.. If you dont want to spend a lot of money on a UL, but you want to fly in almost no wind, then the Desire UL is for you.

If you want to run around and try to slack line fly a UL, you should consider something else. This kite allows the newer flier to fly in very low winds at an affordable price and it is appreciated by the many. More experienced fliers probably wont like it but the newer ones love it!

. Although I dont have anything to do with NTK anymore, I will be happy to help you with it, just shoot me an email.

Dodd

Thanks Dodd. I am a beginner..going on month three. I did realize that its not a slack line trickster. Bought it just for the reason you stated. A low wind kite to fly. Will be checking out the bridle. Been working some long hours, so I have yet to re check. Thanks to all the folks here who have made suggestions. Truly a wonderful brain trust for me to tap into. I will keep you all posted.

Chris :wub:

Although I dont have anything to do with NTK anymore, I will be happy to help you with it, just shoot me an email.

Dodd

The left side line that is connected above the upper spreader fitting was 1/4" longer. Adjusted it to match the right side. Will hopefully fly this weekend. See if that was the problem.

Picked apart the bridle knot...and found that it seems to be a single line that runs from the T connector to the upper spreader...attached by a larks head that sits above the knot connected to the lower spreader line...and below that sliding line that runs to the middle of the LE. Seems to me that the only way to adjust the nose back would be to shorten the two lines that run to the upper spreaders. At this point I am tired, since I have been working on this thing for three hours! Those knots are teeny weeny! :wub:

You shouldnt have to pick the bridle apart, too late now.... Maybe you should get a hold of NTK for either a new bridle, or at least the correct lengths, sorry, I dont have that info anymore.

As for the kite turning on its own, I would say that it is one of the following:

Unequal Bridle Length

Unequal Line Length

Cracked leading edge or or cracked lower spreader that causes the frame to bend.

Best winds

Dodd

You shouldnt have to pick the bridle apart, too late now....

Best winds

Dodd

WHAT !!! :w00t: I retied it. I mean....all it was was a Larks head. Just the one side...nope both sides! OMG!! Will the kite not fly???? :confused!: :confused!: :confused!: