KiteLife Forum

upgrading to a lighter frame

I've read on a couple different sites (and it seems to make sense from a physics standpoint) that the reason for the Widow's oversteer could be caused by the weight in the leading edges. Skyshark P300 rods, and solid ferrules.

This seems to make sense, being as the added weight on the wingtips would cause some added inertia, thus causing the kite to not want to recover from a turn so easily.

I've already upgraded my lower spreaders to P200 and the center T ferrule to a hollow one -- shaved 6 grams off my kite. Really not much difference in oversteer -- although she flies a little more gracefully in lighter winds.

Im thinking of soon upgrading my leading edge frame to P200 as well. With replacing the 4 rods and 4 ferrules (including the 2 nock end caps), I can shed another 16 grams off the weight of the kite. And yet another 4 grams if I replace the spine and the ferrule at the base of the spine.

Thats a total weight reduction of 26 grams -- almost an ounce. With the P200, theres not much difference in strength of the rod -- although a little more flexible I suppose, so I cna only see an improvement coming out of this modification.

I thought I'd start a topic about reframing, and peoples experiences changing to lighter materials -- any flight complications, or improvements, etc...

Cheers all. B)

In a way, yeah I guess. lol

I was one of kids that was always takin apart things. From radios, to toasters, to dads skill saws. I think I was just born to take things apart and try to make them better. lol

In a way, yeah I guess. lol

I was one of kids that was always takin apart things. From radios, to toasters, to dads skill saws. I think I was just born to take things apart and try to make them better. lol

When you come over, remind me to give you my blender. ;)

Maybe you can fix it! ;)

Just replaced the nock ends and ferrules on the widow.

The old ones weighed 4 grams per side (with ferrule, nock and line)

The new ones with the hollowed ferrule (with line) are 1.5 grams.

2.5 grams weight reduction per side. This might make a slight difference, being as all that weight was in the last 3 inches of the wingtip.

btw. If you thought Theresa was jokin about the blender (like I thought), she was most certainly not. lol

Thanks for the blender T. Hopefully I can get that sucker workin again. :blink: hehe

~Jon

Just replaced the nock ends and ferrules on the widow.

The old ones weighed 4 grams per side (with ferrule, nock and line)

The new ones with the hollowed ferrule (with line) are 1.5 grams.

2.5 grams weight reduction per side. This might make a slight difference, being as all that weight was in the last 3 inches of the wingtip.

btw. If you thought Theresa was jokin about the blender (like I thought), she was most certainly not. lol

Thanks for the blender T. Hopefully I can get that sucker workin again. :blink: hehe

~Jon

;)

• 1 month later...

sorry if this is out of place, im new to this forum and kite flying in general. I was thinking of doing the same thing considering in have to get replacement rods anyway. ive had my kite for about 2 days with about 8 hrs of flight time and im loving every second of it thus far.

First day out however i seemed to have misplaced my top spreader (a very common occurance as i understand) :) . I was thinking of getting some new 4mm carbon rods (thats what the frame is specified as on the tag) I was wondering of anybody has any experience with the pultruded carbon rods. And maybe a list of pros and cons of solid carbon rods vs pultruded, recommendations...any and all other info would be great!

In the mean time ive been using wooden dowels from a craft store which are alright but very flimsy.

thanks!

o. this is what ive been looking at. http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list.shtml?cat=carbon.pultrudedcarbon

What type of kite do you have m8? If its a small size kite, you'd be good to use pretty much about anything really. I would go for the cheapest carbon rod possible. If its a medium size kite, that where the weight / stiffness ratio comes into play.

Also, You may want to stick with the type of rods that your specific kite uses. Reason being, is that the kite is balanced out weight-wise. If you use a heavier or lighter rod than whats normally used, you change the center of gravity, thus change the flight characteristics.

Hope that helps m8.

~Jon

You'd be looking at about $90 to swap out all the rods, and even still, it won't fly like a UL. I would just save up for a UL myself, or put that $90 towards a Premier Widow o.0 . :)

Just goto a local kite shop and replace the upper spreader with another 4mm Carbon rod and call it good m8.

Hi Thanh,

I'm sort of new here to, but "Welcome!"

"Now!"...someone is finally talking about something I am an "Expert" at and I have the answer that works for me!

I'm an "Expert" at losing upper spreaders! (OK so it's not any great tech. thing) But, I have returned to more then one flying field looking for that "needle in the haystack". I have lost so many upper spreaderd that I went out and bought some red tape and wrapped it around the spreader, about a 3" area, on both sides of the spine...and I haven't lost one since!!

(The tech. stuff has to come from others...I'm still learning the basics too!) heehee

Keep It Up!

Duane