KiteLife Forum

Bridle damage - advice please....

KathyD

hello - never posted here before, but I need some advice.

I just noticed that there is some damage to the bridle on my B series rev, which I've had and been flying for less than a year. I don't think it has stretched and it seems to fly OK, but I'd appreciate advice on whether I need to replace this sooner rather than later... And is it likely to be something I've done that's caused this (so I can avoid doing it again)? I've got an Exp which I've had for a few years now, and its got no sign of any similar damage.

I'll try to attach a pic of the damage, but I'm not a great forum user so it may go wrong

RevBridle1.jpg

RevBridle2.jpg

Hard to say the cause, but it looks like wear. check to be sure nothing is rubbing on the bridle when assembled or packed up, check your equipment to be sure the are no sharp edges.

As for replacement, most kite shops have replacements for sale.

You might contact Rev for possible defect warranty replacement

Hope this helps

Presuming that you dont regularly run your Rev around abrasive surfaces or do a LOT of street flying it looks like a lot of wear for less than a Year of flying. I notice the black patch in the top picture (presumably put there to show the bridle up better) does it cover a repair in the sail which might have damaged the bridle at the same time?

Of course you might fly 8 Hours a Day, every Day of the Year :-) Do you remember hooking it up on anything that might have caused it to happen?

Looks like it is worn at least half way through, if this is the case I would probably replace it earlier rather than later.

Also checking all the gear as Mike suggests to try to see why it might have happened.

A new bridle should be easy to get. I also think it might be an idea to get in touch with Rev if you can not think of any reason why it might have happened.

hello - never posted here before, but I need some advice.

I just noticed that there is some damage to the bridle on my B series rev, which I've had and been flying for less than a year. I don't think it has stretched and it seems to fly OK, but I'd appreciate advice on whether I need to replace this sooner rather than later... And is it likely to be something I've done that's caused this (so I can avoid doing it again)? I've got an Exp which I've had for a few years now, and its got no sign of any similar damage.

I'll try to attach a pic of the damage, but I'm not a great forum user so it may go wrong

It looks to me like the sleeving has worn off in that spot. It looks like the spectra is still intact. I would just replace that section of the bridal. Just get a length of the same weight bridal line, then tie it to match the damaged one.

All good advice. Check your equipment to see if you can determine what caused the separation. Make that part of the bridle ... provided you know how and can get the same bridle material. Check with your supplier for warrenty.

But, no one has said positively "Be sure to replace it" and that's probably the best advice. Chances are good that it will last for quite awhile. However, when it breaks, the winds will be high and gusty. There is a good chance that that wing will flex enough to spin the kite into the ground, and a good chance you'll break a leading edge rod and double the cost of getting the kite back in the air. The cost for a new bridle is minimal ... replace it.

Cheers,

Tom

I would replace it, not worth doing extra damage to your kite. We have bridles in stock and they are super simple to replace. Only takes about 3-5 minutes to change out the whole bridle. Cost for the bridles are usually under 15.00.

The 1.5 SLE and the B-Series uses the same bridles, colors may change from time to time depending on what happens to be available at the time of production.

Revolution Replacement Bridles HERE

Hope this helps.

Kathy.

The knot, where the cross bridle and the two down bridles meet, is a bit funny if you have not put one together before.

Just make sure you have the old bridle at hand when you put the new one together, so you can look at the old knot and make sure you do the new knot the same.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/26668...101221756GmtFgQ

Derek.

Hello Kathy

Sorry to hear about your fraying bridle :(

Has Ant been giving your kite sloppy kisses ? ;)

It shouldn't be too hard to change your bridle, in whole or in part.

Lots of kite shops can sell you bridle,

give us a bell should you need more help,

seeya

• 4 weeks later...

That wear pattern is typical of another leading edge running over that part of bridle. This would happen if you have been flying team/pairs and trying to fly kisses. As mentioned before the best thing is to replace that part of the bridal. Kiteworld are certainly worth a call but if you are feeling a little brave why not try making a new one yourself. You need to get some line the same as the existing stuff and just copy the other side. Should take about 30 minutes.

If you want to keep flying in the short term why not swap in the EXP bridle. It a simple enough job if you do one side at a time.

Stephen

• Like 1