KiteLife Forum

line lengths

streetrat

Im still trying to figure out about line lengths and what a certain span/size kite uses for length, so for an example>>>>Im using 85 ft lines on a alpha +, E2 and the quantum, is that the norm?? also am aware of shorter/longer line theory, so is thier any rule of thumb for a certain size kite or is it just the "longer line more forgiving/shorter line more active theory"............

I choose my line length by what I feel like seeing and doing.

Long line = more room to play

Short lines = fast paced trick action (for me anyways :devil: )

I fly any particular like on lines from 65 to 100 feet. Just depends on wind, mood, and how much room I have to play in.

Cheers,

P.

I agree with Progcraft's long vs short line comparison... Being a bit more "old school" or precise flier, I generally use 100 foot as my short lines and 110-120 feet for long lines... I think the majority of fliers these days however, play on 75-100 foot lines as a rule. :devil:

It's up to you... Try a range of 50 feet to 100 feet, see what you like. ;)

The shorter the lines, the faster the kite and less sky you have to fly across... But everything is more responsive, and better for tricks.

The longer the lines, the slower the kite will seem and you'll have more sky to cover... Making it more ideal for flying shapes and executing precise manuevers.

Always feel free to ask more questions, kite fliers are a chatty bunch. :)

I'm not much help in the two string side, but still have to put my two cents in.

Line Theory ~

High Wind = Longer line... or smaller Kite

Lighter Wind = shorter line=less line lag, quicker response.

Quad wind flying can be anywhere from 50-200 ft. With the norm anywhere from 65 -100 ft. So there is no absolute. I can see a point from those people who say kites should all be on the same line length, (and same kite?) in competition. Though I don't want the sport stymied so myself, it is debatable. ;)

Ok, I'll sneak out of here before I get tossed out.

BB :)

Penny

Progcraft hit the nail on the head. There is no real standard length for lines for any given kite, it all falls down to personality and pilot skills. The kite will perform pretty much the same on all lengths of line, the skills needed to perform those tricks at different lengths will vary. Some pilots love longer lines others will swear on shorter lines. There is no real manufacturers recomended line lenght. Try different lengths until you find a length that seems to click with your flying style.

A good starting point would be around 75-85 ft. and then go from there and note the difference you feel while flying. As Penny mentioned, wind strength will also make a difference in the kites performance per line length, try different lengths in the same wind if possible to get a good feel for the difference each length will have. In heavier winds - if the kite is too fast you may want to get longer lines to help slow down the response of the kite. In lighter winds if you find your lines are causing too much drag on the kite and the kite feels "spongy" try some shorter lines to get a little more performance from it. It all comes down to personal preference. A little playing and you will find a length that seems to fit in perfectly with your kite and your personality.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to fly everything on 75' lines. But then a set of lines broke, and I re-tied them at about 65', and actually found I liked that better. 75 feet seems too long, unless I'm flying a Mamba or some other 8' kite. However, I like to fly my SUL's (TrickTail UL, Amazing, Sweety) on 45' lines, unless there is less than 1 mph, at which time I usually switch to 30' lines.

On the other hand, I always fly my Thor's Hammer on 100' lines, at least, and the Spirit Quad 5-stack just looks majestic at the end of 120' lines.

:huh:

As a competition flyer, I rarely fly on anything less than 100', and my normal is 125'. If flying space is at a premium I will use 75' lines from time to time. Of course, outdoor UL/no-wind flying sometimes necessitates 35-50' lines, but those are special occasions.

• 1 month later...

for just "playing", i run about 80'. for competition, about 100' is good. a lot of variables too. wind, field size, etc. wow, john barresi. you probably don't remember me, but i competed against you at the nationals in wildwood back in '94. that was the best convention ever. i took 3rd in ind ballet & 3rd in open freestyle. i remember them saying they had gotten you very drunk the night before. ahh, the old days. i still have one of your old team pins too.