KiteLife Forum

Forum upgraded!

New forum upgrade...  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Whatcha think?

• LOVE it, great improvements all around.
    • Not sure I like it, but maybe I just need to get used to the new layout.
    • Ugh, absolutely sucks! (please post and tell us why)

Got some wicked new features in this upgraded forum version... :w00t:

==

"Insert Media" option when making posts, makes embedding YouTube, etc, much easier, like this:

==

Multiple simultaneous file uploads in forum posts, with an actual upload progress bar for each one!

post-1-124596566953_thumb.jpgpost-1-124596566641_thumb.jpg

Also, adding uploaded images to specific places in your post is much easier now.

==

Coming in the not-too-distant future, Facebook users will be able to have their Kitelife/FB accounts interact somehow...

Maybe cross-posting, that kind of thing, I don't have all the details yet, and it's not quite ready anyway.

==

There are other good features that I haven't mentioned, but I'm looking forward to y'all posting here with your discoveries. :)

So, let's hear about it!

It's BRAND new, just released yesterday...

However, it's actually the latest version of the same one we've been using (Invision Power Board).

Best forum software available, hands down... I've got over six years with them now, never once regretted it.

I've used phpBB, vBulletin, etc... None even come close. :w00t:

First thoughts so far. The thread view is not what I am used to. I see the first post, then a thread "tree" below it instead of entire replies in chronological order. I have to click on each reply to see each individual post. looking for a way to change that........

Can you change the icon for each forum topic? Have a dual line kite for sport kites, a cody for single line, a Rev for Quad Heads etc.......

• Like 1

Grumble, grumble, grumble ... damn 'IT' folks never leave anything alone ... yea, I'm sure it's better, but I just got the last one figured out ... here's hoping there's a special punishment in the after life for software tweakers ... probably will have to do all their word processing with PCWrite ... yea, that would be fitting.

Seriously, growing with software is just a fact of life. Once counted all the different word processing packages I've had to learn while working for one company ... eight!! Absolutely would not want to go back to the original, but it does take time to become familiar with the quirks and clicks of new stuff. I'm sure you're wetting your pants in glee over the new look, but give some of us curmudgeons time to grouse ... we'll come around.

Cheers,

Tom

First thoughts so far. The thread view is not what I am used to. I see the first post, then a thread "tree" below it instead of entire replies in chronological order. I have to click on each reply to see each individual post. looking for a way to change that........

Sounds like you somehow activated a "linear" or "outline" layout for forum viewing, it is an option, always has been.

1. Go to the new forum and make sure you're logged in.

2. In the upper right near your avatar, click on your user name and select "My Settings".

3. Once there, click on the "Forums" tab... Or, just click here now.

4. Under "View/Posting/Email Prefs", select "Standard" in the "Topic Display Mode" section.

5. Save your settings.

post-1-124598020246_thumb.png

That should cure your issues, hopefully. :w00t:

Can you change the icon for each forum topic? Have a dual line kite for sport kites, a cody for single line, a Rev for Quad Heads etc.......

Ya, I think so... That would be cool.

Just need someone with some good (clean) graphics skills to whip up a good set of icons to use. :)

In all honesty, probably about the same size... PNG (flattened) would probably be best.

Pardon the pun, but "iconic" (well known / historic) kites would be best as well (Rev, cody, E2, etc), I can obtain permission to use the kite(s) from each manufacturer, no problem.

==

Trick is, the more I muck with changing styles, fonts, etc, the more bull**** I have to go through next time we upgrade.

Over the years, I've learned to make all the customizations as simple and essential as possible.

Nothing like having to re-skin an entire web site just because the new script version doesn't support the old templates. :)

While this forum version may have a little more "mouse travel", I don't think I'll be changing a whole lot.

==

For those who find the mouse travel tedious, try bringing up the Kitelife forum (like right now) and press ctrl then the minus key (that's cmd and minus for us Mac users)... It will shrink (zoom out) THIS web site only. :w00t:

The opposite of course is CTRL and the + key, which will zoom in.

Okay, first question ... where is the "View New Posts" button that I've come to love and cherish? "View New Content" doesn't seem to do the same thing!

Grumpling,

Tom

It seems to do the right thing for me.

Watty,

It's not nice to fib to your elders ... or brag ... or several other things ...

When I click on "View New Content" the first item in the list is the "Best Kite for ..." thread. To find this thread, I have to go back to "Kitelife Magazine - Forum" and scroll down to the "Site Topics" area.

Still grumbling,

Tom

I had an issue where every single post was new content, so I couldn't see the real new stuff...

But if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the forum INDEX, you'll see "Mark Board As Read", that will empty out the New Content page so only real new stuff shows up.

Using the little tabs on the New Content page, in addition to posts, you can actually look up new photos, downloads, members (once some are added post-upgrade).

Okay, first question ... where is the "View New Posts" button that I've come to love and cherish? "View New Content" doesn't seem to do the same thing!

Grumpling,

Tom

It seems to do the right thing for me.

Watty,

It's not nice to fib to your elders ... or brag ... or several other things ...

When I click on "View New Content" the first item in the list is the "Best Kite for ..." thread. To find this thread, I have to go back to "Kitelife Magazine - Forum" and scroll down to the "Site Topics" area.

Still grumbling,

Tom

You said you had to go back to index to find/read that topic...

Did you try clicking on the topic name, right on the New Content page?

That works for me.

You said you had to go back to index to find/read that topic...

Did you try clicking on the topic name, right on the New Content page?

That works for me.

Okay, I like how the new software handles the multiple quotes ... they're displayed very logically, so that editing/deleting is much easier. And, the cut and paste feature works ... don't believe it did before.

I haven't clicked the "Mark Board as Read" button yet.

When I go to the forum home page, and look in the "Recently Added Topics" section, the "Forum Upgrade" thread is missing. These threads, in this order, show up:

"Team Island ..."

"Smaller Res ..."

"What is "Rep ..."

After I click the "View New Content" button these threads, in this order, show up"

"Team Island ..."

"Smaller Res ..."

"Best Kite ..."

Notice that the third thread is different. Again, the "Forum Upgrade" thread is missing in both screens.

Cheers,

Tom

Nope, didn't make it to the new content ...

Maybe that's 'cuz I'm both the poster and the searcher. Will wait for someone else to post something new.

Mumbling to self,

Tom

PS ... this software doesn't like double spaces either ... sounds like sensorship to me.