KiteLife Forum

Forum upgraded!

New forum upgrade...  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Whatcha think?

• LOVE it, great improvements all around.
    • Not sure I like it, but maybe I just need to get used to the new layout.
    • Ugh, absolutely sucks! (please post and tell us why)

Jeepster, I don't mean to fib or brag or anything, but all day yesterday I used the New Content button and this thread would come up every time there was a new post by someone other than myself. In my mind, one of the first things to figure out in any sort of troubleshooting is if the problem is occurring with other people, or if it is a lone problem.

Jeepster, I don't mean to fib or brag or anything, but all day yesterday I used the New Content button and this thread would come up every time there was a new post by someone other than myself. In my mind, one of the first things to figure out in any sort of troubleshooting is if the problem is occurring with other people, or if it is a lone problem.

Watty,

Please don't take my kidding so serious ... I don't kid with people I don't like. Okay?

However, I do hate it that youngsters have such an intuitively easy time with computers and software. It's almost as if they were bred for the task. Where as, my generation was raised with slide rules ... didn't have an electronic calculator until I was twenty some years old ... didn't touch a computer until my thirties (we had one computer for a room of fifty people) ... had to walk to school uphill both ways ... etc.

Your response last night told me that it was something at my end causing the problem. The exercise this morning narrowed the fix down. One has to hit the "Mark Board As Read" button as the first step towards activating the new content feature. Then realize that your postings don't show up in the new content ... as they did prior to the new software.

And, instead of clicking the flag to the left of the title, just click on the title of the new content to go to the first new posting in the thread. Simple!!! Now where is my guinea pig treat???

Cheers,

Tom

John,

Next question:

I like the way the Rev forum currently handles new postings; even if you've read the thread, it keeps it on the list when "View New Posts" is re-clicked. That way it provides a list of what is/was being talked about during the last few hours. Plus, it also includes posts that you've made ... yields an extra check to know that your post actually made it to the thread.

Wrong key strokes on my part or is a change to the site needed?

Thanks,

Tom

From a user standpoint, my favorite forum software is definitely vBulletin. So many useful time saving features. I'm hoping to find all the same functionality here, it's just a bit foreign so far...

Have you tried the "today's active content" link at the bottom of the forum home page?

post-1-124602866923_thumb.png

It shows everything from within the past 24 hours, not just just since your last visit.

Okay, that's a so-so answer to the problem. Have to go look for it (not at the top of the screen) ... click it to activate (no problem) ... dive into one of the threads (no problem) ... want to see the list again (have to either back out of where you are) or (go back to forum, go to the bottom of the page and click on the button again).

In the past, I go to the forum page, click on the button on the top of the page, read a thread, reclick on the button on the top of the page, repeat as necessary.

Maybe someone has a better process.

Please,

Tom

Tom, I do totally understand the pluses of the old system in this regard...

I have put it on my project list, maybe someone can make a plugin to add this feature to the forum.

That's another neat thing, the software now uses more "modules", "applications", "plugins" and "hooks", basically addons through the admin panel instead of the old traditional way of modifying site files every time... It's promising, I imagine we'll see a lot of good stuff coming out soon.

This version has been available for just 3 days now, there are only 6 plugins at the moment...

Previous versions prompted 100's of mods with each release, I expect the same or better with this new set up. :D

Tom, I do totally understand the pluses of the old system in this regard...

I have put it on my project list, maybe someone can make a plugin to add this feature to the forum.

That's another neat thing, the software now uses more "modules", "applications", "plugins" and "hooks", basically addons through the admin panel instead of the old traditional way of modifying site files every time... It's promising, I imagine we'll see a lot of good stuff coming out soon.

This version has been available for just 3 days now, there are only 6 plugins at the moment...

Previous versions prompted 100's of mods with each release, I expect the same or better with this new set up. :D

John,

Cool, that would be neat if you could make it easier to surf. Also, don't take any of my suggests as criticisms ... change is inevitable ... test driving the software on Kitelife before changing the Rev forum is a demonstration of your desire to make it easier for all of us. I appreciate that!!

The advantages of modules I understand ...

Cheers,

Tom

JB,

I think this problem was in the previous forum incarnation,

Ya can't search on terms less than 4 letters! :D:):)

I want to find E3, SF, lots of other short words - plenty unique, and not like "and" and "not". Besides, the message implies it already has a list of unsearchable terms - I assume those that flood the response.

Fixable? Just suggesting. ;)

John,

OK :) , I've tried it.

"e2" and "e3" give no match. :confused!:

"E3" and "E2" give respectively no match, and flood control.

... Flood control "Titles only": no match (on E2).

"Fox" and "fox" give no match and flood control. Again no match on "Titles only"

"Silver" and "silver" give different results. But you can get a lot of hits with

"silver fox" in the title - matches on "silver" that "fox" did not find.

Conclusions:

1. 2 and 3 letter searches are not working. :kid_cussing:

2. Search is case sensitive. :wacko:

Searches should, by default, be for words, so 2 or three letter words such as "E2" or "Fox" should cause no problem. Of course, "no" should be a "no no", etc.

Case sensitivity is not expected by default - us Googlers get confused by cases :blink: As do many posters who have not discovered the shift key. ;)

Hmm, this creaky old software engineer says the search function need serious redesign.

Searches with too many hits can simply terminate after the first 50 (or some reasonable number) thus not consuming too much server.

I do realize that you cannot provide the server power of Google or Yahoo. Limits are fine, but I don't think the best ergonomic limits have been implemented, and they don't seem to work anyway.

Visually attractive, topically enticing, many thanks for the forum John. :sign_kitelife::sign_kitelife: Don't take this as a harsh criticism.

Cool, I like the new layout.

Tried to download one of the recently uploaded tutorials. For this files, there is no estimate of the file-size in the overwiew (0bytes). In case this size is determined by the software automatically there may be something wrong...

Andreas

The more I use "new content", the more I like it...

Now that I've used it quite a bit, I've found that it works almost the same as the old "active topics", except that you won't lose your unread topics list if you accidentally log out or whatever... It retains new content, not just posts, but gallery additions, new downloads, etc, until you mark them (or the whole forum) as read.

I have no complaints on "new content" now that I'm adequately familiar with it. ;)

The more I use "new content", the more I like it...

Now that I've used it quite a bit, I've found that it works almost the same as the old "active topics", except that you won't lose your unread topics list if you accidentally log out or whatever... It retains new content, not just posts, but gallery additions, new downloads, etc, until you mark them (or the whole forum) as read.

I have no complaints on "new content" now that I'm adequately familiar with it. ;)

John,

Okay, don't quote me on this, but I like it also for the fact that it keeps stuff on the list until I do something about it ... that part is better.

But, sometimes I think about a thread I've read and later want to add a response. What process can be used to find the thread I want ... besides a search. Do we have a path to find posts that have occurred in the last day, two days, etc.? Otherwise, one has to remember what the thread title was and in which sub-forum it was listed.

Cheers,

Tom

I use two methods to track topics I've looked at, but want to come back and post on later...

1. Email yourself a link to it (near bottom of this page):

post-1-12467624627_thumb.png

2. Make a bookmark folder dedicated to "wanna come back" topics.

I think a "favorite topics" function would be cool, for each forum member.

Remember, plugins and hooks being made every day, this script format is baby-fresh, only going to improve. ;)

Alright folks, I've got the external link issue worked out...

Links in posts, signatures and "about me" stuff in your profile will now open in a new window. ;)

cool....

just keeping ya on yer toes..... :D

any news about all the old links and old smilies ? (new smilies work ok)

FYI guys, due to popular demand, the next version of IPB (coming out soon) will have your choice of Active Topics (old) or New Content (new), presumably configured through your account settings. :)

Just thought you'd like to know, will post here when it's been installed.

I'll be staying with New Content, since I don't always have time to read everything and don't want to lose the listing of new stuff when I leave the site.

• 1 month later...

Alright, it's come to light through discussions on the Rev forum that quite a few of the users here don't care for the new format, despite what the poll at the beginning of this discussion implies (tsk tsk)...

What I'd like from those who are willing, is a few of the things about this new format that give you problems.

Or, if you're comfortable with the new format, please tell us what we can do to improve it.

Cheers, thanks, looking forward to constructive comments. :)