KiteLife Forum

Forum upgraded!

New forum upgrade...  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Whatcha think?

• LOVE it, great improvements all around.
    • Not sure I like it, but maybe I just need to get used to the new layout.
    • Ugh, absolutely sucks! (please post and tell us why)

Hi John,

I just read through the updates you put in place...and I haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about!! :)

Remember when I went to college I was carrying a slide rule...a real good one too! :) (Drank my way out...but that's beside the point).

But, I've seen how good your computer simulations of Rev kite flying is...so I'm sure this will be great too! :)

(Tom tipped me off!!) :D

Keep It Up!

Duane

And another thing I don't understand...

When I was a kid and someone said something or someone "sucks"...all our eyes would light up and we'd form a line!! :)

So don't take it so bad...It's a great thing...(as I remember it!) :)

Keep Keeping It Up!

Duane

Sounds good John, I am sure it will look good too.

Must admit, the more I look at this the better I feel about it. However I still prefer the old version. Maybe just cuz I was uased to it.

One option I do realy miss is the way you can easily choose to view last week, month etc. Probably that will be like the old version in the upgrade?

One option I do realy miss is the way you can easily choose to view last week, month etc. Probably that will be like the old version in the upgrade?

John,

Let me second the bear ... I sometimes like to think for awhile before adding to a thread. On the Rev forum that's no problem 'cuz it's most likely in the currently active list when I return. With the Kitelife software, I have to dig through the main forum page to fine the thread after I've read it. Yes, I can click the "watch this tread" button, but that's not a good solution. The Kitebuilder forum has a "view all posts since" option with choices from 5 min to 3 months. That's probably overkill! A single "View active posts" button, at the top of the page, that brings up all activity in the last 24 hours would be great.

Oh, and in the I'm a dunce category; by using a different computer a few days ago to view the forum, I lost my automatic forum log-in for my main computer. Since returning home four days ago, I've been madly clicking the new content button and wondering why no one was posting. Seems that if you're not logged in, the "View New Content" button doesn't work ... it makes sense that it doesn't work. My suggestion is to change the "No New Content" response, that shows up when you are not logged in and click the "View New Content" button, to a more appropriate response like "If you want the view new content button to work, I have to know who you are ... please log in dummy" ... or something like that.

I hate transitioning to new software. I know the new software is most likely better, but the old stuff was so comfortable. I also hate new shoes, new hats and new traffic signs. I keep reminding myself that no matter how neat PCWrite was at the time, no one, in their right mind, would want to go back to it. So, the new software needs some tweaking to accommodate user peccadilloes, but let's keep going forward with it.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

Also, in your settings, again...

post-1-12531143476_thumb.jpg

==

Method one is "Show me all content that I have not read".

Items listed when you click "View New Content" will stay on that list until you've either viewed them, or clicked the "mark all forums as read" link.

==

Method two is "Show me all new content since my last visit"...

Items listed when you click "View New Content" will stay on that list until you've either clicked the "mark all forums as read" link or left the forum and come back later.

==

Show results like a forum:

post-1-125311442391_thumb.png

Show results as a list:

post-1-125311446867_thumb.png

"Today's active content" is here... link near bottom of forum's main page ...

I found it ... I found it ... I found it. Wow, is that feature well hidden!!!

My plea is that it be moved to the top of the page right next to the "View New Content" button. It would be more valuable if it was easily accessible while surfing through the forum. Could add the ability to set the default time parameter on your "settings" page ... some might choose 24 hours, others might choose one week ... but, 24 hours is a good compromise.

Thanks again for continuing to work at improving the forum.

Tom

So call me stupid if you like, no on second thoughts dont, it might overload the system.

OK, so found the bit about "todays active content" and the drop down to view day, week etc.

Is there a way for me to alter it so when I click View new content you can get the drop down. Or even instead of viewing new content I can go straight to active content so I get the drop down if I want.

My thoughs are that if content is active, that means there must be new posts in it. Surely active and new content are the same or similar. (Must admit I have not actually looked to see if they are the same.) Cuz to be active there must have been new content added to it?

In other words, what I would like to be able to do is the same as on the Rev forum, look to see what is new since last time I looke, and be able to easily look at what happend last week if I suddenly think summat stupid to say on it.

Obviously there might be an easy way to do that, sorry but I just cant see it.

Method two is "Show me all new content since my last visit"...

Items listed when you click "View New Content" will stay on that list until you've either clicked the "mark all forums as read" link or left the forum and come back later.

John,

Yes ... that's the one I wanted!!! Sometimes my denseness amazes even me. You sometimes have to hold my hand.

The "View New Content" verbiage is misleading, but the function is correct. Just like on the Rev forum, I can now see the discussions that are taking place today. I can read one and it stays on the list as long as I haven't left the forum.

As to the rest of the website ... I'll let Jeff (on the Rev Forum) be my proxy. After reading his posts, I found myself saying "yea, that's what I wanted to say."

Cheers,

Tom

So call me stupid if you like, no on second thoughts dont, it might overload the system.

OK, so found the bit about "todays active content" and the drop down to view day, week etc.

Is there a way for me to alter it so when I click View new content you can get the drop down. Or even instead of viewing new content I can go straight to active content so I get the drop down if I want.

My thoughs are that if content is active, that means there must be new posts in it. Surely active and new content are the same or similar. (Must admit I have not actually looked to see if they are the same.) Cuz to be active there must have been new content added to it?

In other words, what I would like to be able to do is the same as on the Rev forum, look to see what is new since last time I looke, and be able to easily look at what happend last week if I suddenly think summat stupid to say on it.

Obviously there might be an easy way to do that, sorry but I just cant see it.

I think the confusion here derives from the fact we're talking about two entirely different (albeit parallel) functions.

"view active content" is it's own operation, like a overview from 24hrs-1yr.

If you like that, bookmark this - http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active

(straight link to that "active content" page)

Otherwise, for daily perusal, use the "View New Content" link, set either of the ways I listed a couple posts back. ;)

OK thanks for that John, BTW I should mention some of the stuff I DO like about the new Forum.

I like, the little nag type screen, which isnt a nag at all, the one that gives you the info about your Subscription and the date etc.

The nice recent gallery pics, brightens it up nicely.

Pretty much got to say, like it more the more I look at it, however I need lots more time to understand it.

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say that this is essentially the same engine still being used on the Rev forum with a small handful of specific tweaks like "view new content", and some added features... I think this skin's downfall is that it is very much a hard right turn from our previous layout.

When I have an opportunity to try the new/old skins on Kitelife, I think you'll find the Classic Blue and Pro very familiar in terms of general use... I've had the chance to use the various beta skins on IPB's support forums, and am very confident that we'll find something suitable for the majority.

Ideally, I'll have access to all the new skins within the next 2-4 weeks and make it so that users can switch through and try the various skins through a drop down menu at the bottom of all forum pages... Won't add the fancy Kitelife stuff at the top until we've selected one (or two) for final use.

I really appreciate the candid input y'all have given recently...

Makes a world of difference, and to me, it's most important that you're as comfortable as possible.

Thanks. ;)

but I already like the "Classic" skin, cuz it is more the same colours as I am used to.

I'm with Baloo....

I like "cheery" not "dreary".

The brighter bluer ones are more pleasing on the eye, and they are so you John

Can we have that with whatever format layout you decide to use ?

Just think of those dark overcast days over winter, with the rain pounding down while reading the dark grey 'skins'.... :)

• 2 months later...

Right, I agree, so a balance between the Pro layout and Blue coloring...

Ah, what happened??? Started up the forum this morning and the picture was smaller than normal and the blue has turned to BLACK!!!! Geez!!!

Okay, are you messing working with the skins or is the problem on my end. Yes, I did get a blue fade indoor kite, but that's no reason to steal all the blue color out of the website.

Cheers,

Tom

LoL. Yes, what a change indeed. :sign_kitelife:

If we're sticking with this forum template, maybe modify the template to use a table, instead of the "float" property? That way you can utilize the entirety of the screen (for us with 1280x1024 screen res or higher) with the "width=100%" property in the table.

I had to modify my own site to reflect that as well -- seems most php templates conform to the float parameter, instead of using a table to set up the page template. Font's a bit small as well Im finding.

1024x768 is so 1998.... :kid_cussing: hehe j/k

Other than that, I think this template is super slick lookin'!!!! :kid_drool:

Ya, tinkering - there aren't a lot of good templates out there... And as far as float vs tables, it's counterproductive for me to try and modify the templates every time IPB upgrades their script (necessary), so I'm trying to find something that will work almost "as is".

There are a few skins you can now select/try using the drop down menu, bottom left of all forum pages, would LOVE to get feedback from everyone after they've tried each one. :sign_kitelife:

post-1-126047641508_thumb.png

I really like the "Professional Skin"... It's clean, concise, beautiful... Just needs a little tweaking on color and font sizes.

This is a "professional grade" skin, made as a product by real web designers.

As for the fixed width (instead of resizing to all monitors), I've always preferred it... Keeps a standard appearance for all visitors, content looks the same to everyone.

==

All the others are community projects (IPB users worldwide) and render weird behavior, as shown in the images below.

post-1-126047676388_thumb.png

post-1-126047676882_thumb.png

post-1-126047677198_thumb.png

Looking forward to feedback. :sign_kitelife:

Yeah, I like ths Pro board as well. Although I've grown fondly attached to the the IP Board standard (the one you've had loaded for a couple months now) -- mainly the main menu and user menu systems I really like on the standard version.

On the Pro version, there are some fragmented image buttons for me. The "reply icon" "multiquote", etc... -- basically all the buttons on that row have a vertical break in the button image (the silver bubble encasing the text). Is that just my side, or are others seeing what I am?

btw.. looked at ur wedding pics m8 :kid_cussing: Great stuff!!!! I love the incorporation of kites. :sign_kitelife: Wish I could have incorporated kites at my wedding, but there was zero wind that day in Cannon Beach. o.0

Edited by Spz0