KiteLife Forum

Forum upgraded!

New forum upgrade...  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Whatcha think?

• LOVE it, great improvements all around.
    • Not sure I like it, but maybe I just need to get used to the new layout.
    • Ugh, absolutely sucks! (please post and tell us why)

I click on the post I want via the shortcut, right side,over the posters name (normally says Today and time) that's where it all goesfunnykid_horny.gif. Sometime it takes me to the last post (what I expect) sometimes it takesme to the first post?????

Does this post answer your question Denny?

Nothing in my email yet... ?

To attach the images here, look for the "Click to Attach Files" button, shown below. :)

post-1-126090680852_thumb.png

OK with normal type pictures (at least I think I am OK with them)

It was the neat thumbnail screen shots you are posting that have me fooled.

If I could post one of these snapshots like you then you should be able to see what I mean.

That is if the smail is not with you yet?

I click on the post I want via the shortcut, right side,over the posters name (normally says Today and time) that's where it all goesfunnykid_horny.gif. Sometime it takes me to the last post (what I expect) sometimes it takesme to the first post?????

http://kitelife.com/...ent/#entry23458

Yes, that is what I would expect. It works just like that now using IE. I wonder if it is because I use Crome at home. I'll check again when I get home.

As I am indeed taking your input seriously, will you provide some examples of the "bells and whistles" you're referring to?

There has been some confusion on this matter (perhaps my own), I just want to be sure what the perception is exactly. :)

John I am referring to the extras now included such as all the stuff on the right hand side of the index page, whether this stuff is causing the hang and a longer wait for the page to load I dont know but the hang occurs whether the right hand side column is on screen or not.

The topic pages are also slow to load (I do have b,band), the page foot "Featured Sponsor" add may be having some effect, obviously these are a needed part of this forum and might not migrate to the Rev forum.

It would be good to find out whatever the cause of the slower page loads is before exporting the format to the Rev forum.

John I am referring to the extras now included such as all the stuff on the right hand side of the index page, whether this stuff is causing the hang and a longer wait for the page to load I dont know but the hang occurs whether the right hand side column is on screen or not.

The topic pages are also slow to load (I do have b,band), the page foot "Featured Sponsor" add may be having some effect, obviously these are a needed part of this forum and might not migrate to the Rev forum.

Indeed, none of the sponsor stuff would carry over to Rev... Pure forum, with the enhanced feeds and features. :)

It would be good to find out whatever the cause of the slower page loads is before exporting the format to the Rev forum.

Well, here's the stock script at work without any of the banners and such, seems mighty quick to me...

http://community.invisionpower.com/

Thanks for elaborating Bruce, it is really appreciated.

Just had a look at load time.

Quicker without the banners.

When it loads here, you get the main page, with empty banners, then takes a little longer for the banners.

My perception is about 3 seconds as is. Maybe 5 or 6 seconds with the banners.

That is only with counting in my mind (what is left of it) not split second timing.

And not loading from a complete PC re boot. Just from closing IE, re open then klick on the favorites link.

Hope this helps.

Just got some GROOVY news... Looks like IPB (this forum software) will be adding "tagging" in the not-too-distant future.

This will allow folks to possibly tag forum posts, images and/or blog posts just like we do in Facebook.

Can't wait for this one to roll out! :)

While there are other items which may be influencing load time here, I've temporarily removed the scrolling banners from our forum index...

I'll be curious to hear if this improves the speed on your end?

Much faster load and no hang, appears cleaner too, although on broadband we have contention problems and ISP's throttleing at prime time here which of course makes anything slow even slower at certain times.

Now if the sun could come out in the header instead of being stuck at midnight.... :)

Well, this is my first post on this site, I think. I'm really getting confused as to the difference in this forum and the Rev forum, and why there are two forums. I'm sure as time goes on, it will become clearer, but I don't why we need two forums, as I have just learned how to use the Rev forum. Again, I'm still a little bit confused as to why there are two, and are they really the same, or what is the connection, or relationship, of the two forums.

JB, if you get a chance, I'd appreciate it if you could clear this up for me. I'm in a struggle here............reef runner

Yep, no question about it, I'm confused with this forum. Not that I can't feel my way around, but I just don't see the point in having two forums, that are so much alike. I can't seem to find anything here, and it is definitely difficult to edit personal information, especially something as simple as your signature. Very possibly, I am doing something wrong, or have so setting wrong. I think I've got myself set-up, but I'm not sure it's correct? And what is the "Status" thing, where it says "I have not set my status" ??? I don't have a clue what my status is, at this point. I'm probably just on JB's &%#@*_^$&%^ list by now. JB, I don't mean to be negative, but like I said, I'm really a bit confused at this point..............

http://kitelife.com/...ent/#entry23458

Yes, that is what I would expect. It works just like that now using IE. I wonder if it is because I use Crome at home. I'll check again when I get home.

This is strange. Crome goes to the first post about 50% of the time the other half to the last post, Which is odd all by it's self. That's one for the bit fiddlers. I have Firefox, IE and Crome up right now. IE works as expected. I did notice that Firefox goes to the first post then jumps to the last post in less than a second. I can only guess that Crome looses it's way sometimes during the transition between finding the topic and going to the target? It doesn't look like a forum problem. I LOVE Crome and if this is the only problem using it and the forum I can live with it. I'll have to check it out on the Wii later. It uses another brouser altogether.

Yep, no question about it, I'm confused with this forum. Not that I can't feel my way around, but I just don't see the point in having two forums, that are so much alike. I can't seem to find anything here, and it is definitely difficult to edit personal information, especially something as simple as your signature. Very possibly, I am doing something wrong, or have so setting wrong. I think I've got myself set-up, but I'm not sure it's correct? And what is the "Status" thing, where it says "I have not set my status" ??? I don't have a clue what my status is, at this point. I'm probably just on JB's &%#@*_^$&%^ list by now. JB, I don't mean to be negative, but like I said, I'm really a bit confused at this point..............

The two forums have an overlap in the area of Revs. The Kitelife forum has a broader charter in that it focuses on ALL kite flying. Plus, Kitelife supports a bi-monthly newsletter/magazine of kite flying from around the world. Kitelife is also a repository for past issues of two out of print magazines and a ton of videos.

All forums seem to use a slightly different set-up, just like all word processing software uses a slightly different approach to accomplishing the same function. Like the Rev forum, this is a very friendly group of people. Just keep the faith, someone has had the same problem as you're experiencing and will come to your rescue.

Regards,

Tom

While there are other items which may be influencing load time here, I've temporarily removed the scrolling banners from our forum index...

I'll be curious to hear if this improves the speed on your end?

Much faster load and no hang, appears cleaner too, although on broadband we have contention problems and ISP's throttleing at prime time here which of course makes anything slow even slower at certain times.

Now if the sun could come out in the header instead of being stuck at midnight.... :)

I feel you on the header aesthetics Bruce, something with light happy clouds, some kites, yeah... I'm with you... Just need a couple more hours in the day right now to actually make one. :)

Well, this is my first post on this site, I think. I'm really getting confused as to the difference in this forum and the Rev forum, and why there are two forums. I'm sure as time goes on, it will become clearer, but I don't why we need two forums, as I have just learned how to use the Rev forum. Again, I'm still a little bit confused as to why there are two, and are they really the same, or what is the connection, or relationship, of the two forums.

JB, if you get a chance, I'd appreciate it if you could clear this up for me. I'm in a struggle here............reef runner

Jeepster pretty much nailed it right on the head... This forum is based around Kitelife's online magazine and the general kiting community (single line, dual line, quad line, power kiting, etc, etc).

The Rev community accounts for only a small part of the global kiting scene, and Kitelife encompasses everything attached to a string. :)

We're not as active here as some other forums (GWTW, etc), but we're definitely one of the friendliest... The claim to fame here is that *anyone* can respectfully speak their mind here without fear of reproach, no such thing as a dumb question, it's the new and intermediate fliers that I've always been most interested in supporting with this forum, whereas some of the others tend to be "expert heavy", sometimes giving the newbies a hard time and allowing for flaming or other derisive activity.

I hope that clarifies somewhat?

As for the confusion in functionality with the new layout, it will come, I assure you... Just ask some of the folks here who were resistant at first, repeat visits will familiarize you with the new format, it does work VERY well once you get a handle on it.

Realize, if someone came here as their first kite forum, they'd pick it up fairly readily... Making a switch from the old format, it's a bit of a shock (change).

No idea what you are on about. Dont do Facebook. Would never have time for flying then :-)

Oh and dont think I recon it is too long for Kitelife to load. Just longer than Rev.

It is WELL worth the wait.

Tagging basically allows you to "tag" an image or post with the name of someone who may be in it, so for example, if someone adds a bunch of new photos, you as a member would be notified if your name was associated with one or more of them... Essentially, it connects the dots between the images, content and who is mentioned or shown in them.

Per Wikipedia, regarding usage on Facebook:

"Another feature of the Photos application is the ability to "tag", or label users in a photo. For instance, if a photo contains a user's friend, then the user can tag the friend in the photo. This sends a notification to the friend that they have been tagged, and provides them a link to see the photo."

If you don't care about it, it'll be nearly irrelevant and have no real effect for you... If you do use it, you'll catch on pretty quick.

It's a good thing, I assure you. :)

As for the confusion in functionality with the new layout, it will come, I assure you... Just ask some of the folks here who were resistant at first, repeat visits will familiarize you with the new format, it does work VERY well once you get a handle on it.

Realize, if someone came here as their first kite forum, they'd pick it up fairly readily... Making a switch from the old format, it's a bit of a shock (change).

Hey JB, Thanks for the confidence. It's coming, it's coming. Like I said, it was a bit confusing, right at the first. I kept seeing all the same names and subjects, etc, but I have finally gotten it through my thick head, that this site is for "ALL" kiter's, not just Rev fliers. That's good ! I still have a question, when I go to my profile page, it says that I haven't set my status? What does that mean? What is my status and what am I suppose to put there? Just curious.............reef

Status is nearly useless, it's just a widget for you to post a "one liner" mood message... Like "Reef is having a reefy day".

Similar to Facebook.

Again, it's a silly item, but it's harmlessly out of the way for those who have no use for it. :)

Glad to hear it's coming around, thanks for your patience, and for being here!

Gotta say,,, this Professional skin is growing on me Jb :) .

I'm having a tad bit of trouble reading the posts. Might be something to get use to, as I know how crazy formatting templates can get when you increase font sizes -- starts lookin a little blocky/bubbly.

• Like 1