KiteLife Forum

Adjusting the relative line lengths?

arallsopp

Howdo,

Quick version:

I have a quad line kite that's shaped like an eyebrow, and where the lines attach to the kite there are 5 knots on the top two lines. What are they for?

Long version:

My g/f bought me a 4 line PKD Buster 3.0 for my birthday (good lass). I've not flown a kite since I was 8. We've taken her out about 3 times now, and until yesterday we've had little wind and no joy. Each time we get the kite up, she kinda folds (the kite, not the g/f) or stalls, then just reverses down onto the ground. We figured it was due to no wind.

Yesterday (finally) the wind picked up and the kite went tearing upwards, then (as before) just came back down butt first. I was wondering if it was the brake lines but they seemed real loose and I'm guessing they only work under tension.

After much dissillusion, I picked up the kite for about the 80th time (she was now at the helm, getting bored of me dive bombing her backwards), and thought, what the hell, I'm gonna push some of those knots through the loopy thing and see what happens. If I've got it right, this should have brought the top forwards, and so made the brakes looser(?). Needless to say, I launch it (and with HER at the helm) off it shoots happy as larry.

(5 seconds later, major improvement, it divebombs me. Nose first ;) )

Now I've kinda got the hang of it (a bit) and can keep her up indefinately (or until the g/f gets cold) but was wondering why the kite came with that configuration, as she's supposed to be ready to go out of the bag... Am I just a really bad pilot? Have I just messed up the aerodynamics of my rig? Or have I just made her a lot less powerful and easier to fly or something?

Ah... so confused. In my day, the closest we got to kiting was a carrier bag that you held above your head and ran down a hill.

Hi Aralsopp,

Anywhere we can view a picture of this kite? I'm unfamiliar with it. Kites coming out of the bag ready to fly are only ready to fly in favorable winds. Trying to fly in winds that are to light for that paticular kite is the most common mistake made.

Adjusting your kite is acceptable, just remember where the defaults are so incase you have trouble.

If you point the *bottom of your quad handles up, the kite goes up, if you point them down the kite comes down. Could that be why the kite is coming down after you launch it? Good luck with the kite!

BB

Penny

ps You do have to get past Murphy's law, too. No wind allowed for beginners! Sounds like you made it... till you bring someone new. ;)

The PKD's come with an adjustable bridle setting. This is a series of knots that is located on the bridle attachment points of the kite. The settings are there to change the curvature of the kite for different wind/flying conditions. If your kite was new, it should have come with a manual that will tell you what the different settings are for and how to change it. If you didn't get a manual, check back with your kite shop to see if they have one. If you can't find a manual or get info, let me know and I will be able to get you something and maybe post it here.

Also, check your brake line adjustments to make sure they are not too tight, most of the time you will be flying directly off of the upper lines, not using the brake (bottom) lines at all and they will appear to be very slack and drooping. An easy way to keep the pressure on the upper lines is to take your first finger (pointer finger) and place it above the upper flying line. The flying line will run through your pointer finger and your index finger. This should give you better control of the upper lines and still provide with adequate control for braking.

Cheers all,

Good point about the brakes Penny! I was probably heaving the anchors on whilst launching. Not clever :P

Your comments inspired me to go scouting around for a pic, and I came across a US site (http://www.windpowersports.com/kites/pkd/buster.html) which includes an instruction manual pdf. Why my kite didn't have one, I can't imagine. The only bit of paper I had with it said little more than, "if you fly the kite downwind of you, it will work better."

If you're still interested, there's a few pics of the buster 3.0 here:

http://www.virtualkitestore.com/buster_mini_review.htm

Thanks for the tips WindofChange. I reckon the adjustment I've made has probably compensated for holding the handles all wrong, so I reckon I'm probably advised to move it back to the default position and re-learn whilst I'm still early on. The brakes did look awful slack, which was kind of scaring me, so its good to hear they should be this way. I guess if I can still make it come down, they're set about right.

Well... I'm gonna heads down and push through the rest of the week, then take her out on the weekend for a bit of a go. First I'll reset her to the default position, then I'll see how long I can hold out before acknowledging the manual's 'more power' setting.

Thanks again all. Now to go read up on that whole downwind thing ;)