KiteLife Forum

Cuts in the Leading Edge Connectors

Hi,

After many hours of flying my Quantum, I noticed that the lines were getting snagged and hung up on something more and more often. When I examined the kite I found there were deep line cuts or cracks on the Leading Edge Connectors and the line was falling into and hanging up on these slits. I think the cuts were from my "flick-flack-ing".

Instead of replacing the connectors, I had some "J-B WELD" two part epoxy. I carefully filled the cuts with the epoxy and smoothed the epoxy over any abrasions, being careful not to epoxy the connector to the sail or leading edge. The next day, after it hardened, I checked it out and it really worked great. The connector was actually better then before because the surface of the connector was now, as J-B's advertisement says, "Strong as Steel!"

Keep It Up!

Duane

You could also cover the back and top side of those connectors by gluing ripstop to the sail, around that point (as seen here in pics http://kitelife.com/...dpost__p__21294 ). The pics show the coverings over the APA fittings, but not the leading edge connectors. I have since fully covered the leading edge connectors, to eliminate snagging, and hopefully to reduce L.E. drag.

I did this to my Quantum, and there are no more snags, and I don't have to worry about my lines cutting into my fittings and connectors, yet Im still able to break down the leading edge (just have to do it blind).

Cheers bro

~Jon

DAMN!!

When am I going to learn to check with "JON!" first before I spend hours trying to fix something that you aready have "been there" on...and it's always something better than what I come up with!!

Thanks again!

Keep It Up!

Duane