KiteLife Forum

Kitersizes

I don't know if anyone might be interested in this or not, but as I mentioned, I decided to approach "dualineing" the same way I approached other sports I've gotten involved with.

Muscle development and tone are the first things I will work on. The muscles used to fly a dual line kite are not used very often during normal activity. With my hands in front of me or at my sides and then pulling backwards is a movement seldom done. I have some long bungee cords which I hook onto my bed and I back up to the desired distance, and force, and then go through the movements that I would do if I was doing a trick with a kite.

I imagine the kite to be in front of me with my head tilted back about 30 to 45 degrees to work the neck and back muscles too. I go through the movements in real slow motion pulling against the force of the bungee cords. An axel, for instance, would be a very slow pull with one hand, with a push forward, and followed with a slow longer pull with the other hand, and a push forward, and then to the center recovery position…just like it would actually be done--but in very slow motion. (This is the method use in learning quick drawing a gun.)

Repeat this again imagining the kite to be going in the other direction. Whatever trick I want to do I will be practicing it this way ahead of actually trying to do it. I continue the exercise until I feel the muscels start to ache. If that takes a longer then desired time, then just back away from what the bungee cords are connected to and the force will increase.

After doing this for a few days to a week, building up a little strength and memory in my body and mind, I then will speed it up slightly and practice that for another few days until I am doing the movements at full speed against the force of the bungee cords.

Then Ill try whatever trick Im working on in the field with the kite. I believe its good to have the muscle memory somewhat in place before trying a trick, because in the field conditions vary so much that bad memory habits can be formed because there is no base line to check things against.

Keep It Up!

Duane

• Like 2

Hey have at it Jon...Every sport has its specialized exercises...you know much more about this stuff then I do. Besides that I'm too old, and much too lazy, to get back into something like that.

"Just give me a field and a little wind to see me out...heehee!

But, when you get the "Kitersize Program" made up (maybe a kit with cords and hand straps)...I will certainly buy a copy from you so I don’t have to try to figure out the moves behind each trick...that I don't know!!!

Really, I think that would be something good for you to do seeing how the "regular work world" seems to be slowing down a bit out there. Just make sure I get an autographed copy!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Superb, very similar to the techniques I use to train for Revs. :wacko:

+ post mate!

Hi Kitelife,

I'm glad you like my post!! heehee :)

But it's summer in South Florida and I have to do something while I'm hidding from the heat! :)

It won't be too long before it cools off a bit and you might not hear so much noise from me...that's if it ever cools off and I don't have to risk my life to fly!

Keep It Up!

Duane

PS How's your cat? We just had to put our favorate cat away...canser...he was with us for 14 years...leaves a big hole in our life right now. Take care!

Just an afterthought on Sebastians death (our cat)...

When we had to have Sebastian "put down", (as they say in the country), we cried like little babies and hugged each other in the grief.

----------------

There is a Zen story about such things...Zen has a story for everything! :wacko:

----------------

There was a Zen Master who had a friend of many years that had recently died and he went to the funeral taking with him some of the monks he was teaching.

The Master wept at the funeral and one of his monks became deeply disturbed at the Master's weeping. After the funeral the monk approached the Master and said, "I thought you said that all life was an "ILLUSION"...how could you cry knowing that?

The Master smiled and said, "Yes...all life is an illusion, but if I didn't cry now, when else would I be able to experience crying and grief?

LITS (Love In The Spirit) &

Keep It Up!

Duane

PS Just because life is basically illusionary---doesn't necessarly mean it is without purpose!!