KiteLife Forum

Reccomendations for bomb proof dualie please

Baloo

Hi all, my wife, bless her little cotton socks. Has started wanting to fly my dual lines. Unfortunatly she managed topop one of the leading edge spars on a Prism Fanatic today, no probs as I expect I can get another spar, I am SO glad it was not the Sea Devil she was using.

Now she is worried that she will break it again once it is fixed.

Any reccomendations for bomb proof kites that are still interesting enough for me to enjoy once / if she will not fly any more.

Thanks.

Chris.

If you can, try and mimic the Kinetic Dissipator system that the Prism Quantum has. Fancy word for Shock Absorber. Takes the impact off of the frame during nose crashes, and redirects it to the elastic that is installed.

I have very little experience with other kites, but I know the Quantum is really rugged. It's the first dual line I flew and I'm really happy with the choice. It has has a shock absorber at the bottom of the spine and it can really take a beating.

That doesn't mean it is indistructable...once one of my lines broke and it went into a hundred mile spin and crashed into a wooden fence and broke the leading edge and spine...but it broke the fence too. And then the time a 5 foot wave crashes over it...broke a lower spreader then, I think. And a really hard shot in a side ways meeting with the ground will take a leading edge out...but I don't know of any kite that can take it better then the Quantum.

Now that I'm getting some "tricking" experiences on kites that are easier to do tricks on, I've found that I can now do some pretty good tricks with the Quantum too...good at doing flick flaks and lazy susans and half & full axels too.

And now available...is a picture of my Quantum with a hundred feet of tail flying over the ocean that your wife can get in a T shirt!! :blink:http://www.cafepress.com/akalogostore/6825748

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thanks for the replies guys, Una popped the spar by jerking the lines with the kite on the floor ready to go. Snapped it at the joint.

The new frame sounds a good idea. Worth looking at. Must admit was thinking about a Quantum.

Well...if you are going to be running through the house with it, then I'd suggest you get one of those self inflating parafoils that has no rigid framing at all. You could probable run over it with your car and get away with it!! :blink:

But someone else will have to fill you in on that because all I know about it is that it exists.

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 1 month later...

My wife has one....she is tough on kites. Currently has the third spine in it. It does take some wind to fly it. By no means is it a UL. But a very good first kite...once you get past the Lawn Dart stage. Then again...the Cherry Bomb (our first) has held up well, despite some Mach 1 dives into the ground. Only blew out an O ring. But it is much quicker than the Quantum.

post-4131-125452773713_thumb.jpg

post-4131-125452793408_thumb.jpg

Sorry, should have let you all know.

Went for a Beetle in the end. Wife loves it.

Supposed to be fairly indestructable, I still managed to break it though!!

Fixed now and all is well. And the Fanatic is up and runing again.

Cheers all. Thanks for the info.