KiteLife Forum

Kites That we have traded in or Sold, and Why?

Baws

I think this would be a good resource for people looking to buy a kite.

For Example:

I sold my HQ Tango's, and my Desire UL because I purchased a Prism Flashlight that I like flying better and will fly in light wind.

I sold my Pyro XS although it is a very good flier, my Level One Jump will run rings around it.

I sold my Prism Nexis and Jazz because they are a little heavy and my Quantum Pro is Superior.

I sold an Addiction because I had 2 and will keep the other because it is a dam good kite.

As I sell or trade off other kites I can add info to this!

It would be interesting to see what some of the higher end kites were traded for, or what kites you would never get rid of.

Until this past year I never sold or traded any kites, I only purchased.

So I have traded a citrus Zephyr for a Fire Bee and a MEFM

Also traded some (new in the tube) orginal Rainbow Stunt Kites for (2) six stacks of Peter Powell Stunt kites (also never out of the package)

Some of my collection

• Like 1

Until this past year I never sold or traded any kites, I only purchased.

So I have traded a citrus Zephyr for a Fire Bee and a MEFM

Also traded some (new in the tube) orginal Rainbow Stunt Kites for (2) six stacks of Peter Powell Stunt kites (also never out of the package)

Some of my collection

Was the Zephyr trade a good deal, and why would you get rid of it? I was considering the Zephyr because of it's low wind capability's.

Was the Zephyr trade a good deal, and why would you get rid of it? I was considering the Zephyr because of it's low wind capability's.

I believe the trade was excellent. If you look at my collection, I am more old school. I picked up the Zephyr (and a Acrobatx) for a great price.

The Zephyr is a great kite, I only flew it twice, the first flight the center T broke while making a ground pass, (Prism replaced it quickly). The second time I tested the repair and was impressed with the tracking and pull. Since I am not into "slack line tricks" the kite is similar to others I own. For light wind I usually pull out my Griffin stack.

Model:GRIFFIN

Manufacturers:Condor Kites, Chicago Fire Kite Co., It's A Breeze Kite Co.

Fabric Weight:.75oz. ripstop nylon

Framing Materials : graphite

Wind Range :3 - 15 mph

Configuration:Delta-type (98" wingspan)

Skill Level:Beginner - Advanced

MFGR's Suggested Retail:$100 .00 in 6 panel

I will most likely get another Zephyr if I find another good deal, til then I will enjoy knowing the one I traded is getting the air time it deserves.

ZEPHYR

MFG: Prism

skill level: intermediate - competition

wing span: 92.5" (235 cm)

wind range 1 - 17 mph (1.6 - 27 kmh)

speed: moderate

pull: medium

frame: wrapped graphite

sail: ripstop polyester / mylar laminate

flying lines 100' x 90 lbs spectra

MSRP: $269.00

Some of my collection

• Like 1

I traded a Joel Scholtz Condor kite for a ukulele. I was living in Hawaii and the trade winds were too strong for the condor and a guy I knew really wanted it but was low on funds BUT, he had a Kamaka (The oldest name in Ukulele's)

to trade.

It's a Pineapple shaped body and currently worth $600, I took lessons and I play it often.

The kite? I never saw it again.

Hmmpph...well, if you must know:

I gave away an XL Sport 70 to a family member. A super introduction to sport kite flying - largish, slowish, pretty decent flying characteristics for the price!! He spent a whole day flying it, which works out to a price of about $2/hr - great bargain. Of course, if you get serious you quickly move beyond (and give it to a friend/relative). If not, no big $ lost. My recommendation for the inquisitive "I want to try a sport kite - what should I get."

Sold a Hornet - seemed redundant to the more capable Silver Fox and HQ Gallego I later acquired. The Hornet was my first full size kite - and taught me about speed control and the meaning of precision.

Gave away an HQ Floater because I had two, and to complete the Hornet deal.

Gave away an Addiction because I had snagged 4 (FOUR!) at super prices on eBay - figuring after finding the first kite was a winner that they would make good "flying together" or gift kites. (Yeah - I have one more I might give away to a very close family member.)

Other than that, all the way too many kites in my stable still have a role to play for me or my wife. Those I have not flown for a while, when I return to them teach me more.

I do not have any competition level kites yet. The top of my stable are HQ Gallego and HQ Phoenix Supreme, and a full set of Silver Foxes 2.5. Well, and also a Nighthawk - definitely one of my favorites. Those are all going to stay with me for some time.