KiteLife Forum

Roger Tessa Gambassi Bridle

Guru4tru

Hi,

I have a Nirvana SE STD & UL. The Ultra Light is really great, but I've been having a lot of trouble tricking with the Standard. Changing weights doesn't seem to pull things together either, although I do need more air time to make sure. But, awhile back TeeCee spoke of the "Roger Tessa Gambassi Bridle" (what a name) as the way to go and he didn't mess with the weights at all. So today I ordered one from "The Kite Shoppe".

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything that they might think would be helpful for me to know. And........

One thing that troubles me a bit is that the center hole on the Nirvana STD, that the "T" fits through, is off center by a little more then 1/4". Is there anyway to center things up...or...doesn't it matter?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi,

I received help on the "Roger Tessa Gambassi" bridle from Ron in the AKA forum:

"And if no one has mentioned it before, you'd do a lot better on questions re. dual line kites at http://www.gwtw-kites.com That forum is second to none when it comes to questions/answers/talk re. sport kites. Here it's mostly hit-and-miss.

Ron Graziano

----------------

Thank you Ron!!

----------------

But, when I went to GWTW I saw this notice:

"Website Discussion"

"Non-kite related topics. Religion and politics will NOT be tolerated!"

-----------------

Don't they know that kiting is a Religion for many of us?…a Spiritual Activity..."Kite-arianism"..and it has political overtones! (See my post in "OFF TOPIC", entitled "Kite-arianism"!) With That, I can not post, or read, at the GWTW, unless they personally request my entry and contribution!

---------------------------

But, to respect the freedom we have been given in the KITELIFE forum, :sign_kitelife: , I will be continuing a discussion in our “OFF TOPIC” forum about the Kite-arian perspective on “Winding Your Kite Strings” :)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi,

the RTG-bridle is a reverse-turbo bridle for the Nirvana flown by many pilots. The other well known reverse-turbo bridle is the Debray-replica version, but this one gives a lot of pull to the lines and stress to the frame, so it is only recommended to the Aerostuff frame or a durable nitro-lower spreader or similar. I also like the RTG-version the most, where I adjust the length of the turbo-part depending on wind-speed. You will find this pdf file:

http://www.reeddesign.co.uk/pdf/NirvanaBridles.pdf

usefull. It contains all "standard" bridle dimensions for the nirvana. I put pigtails everywhere on my bridle, so I can adjust any configuration I want within seconds...

:-)

Andreas

Thanks Andreas,

That's a big help. I made copies of the different bridles and in the future I'll probably be making my own.

I mentioned how the center hole, where the "T" is on the kite, was off by over a quarter inch. Well, sometimes my stupidity amazes me. :sign_kitelife: As I was changing the bridle I noticed the one lower connector was about 2" lower then the other. When I corrected it the hole was dead center. I'm going to get some "clip on" C clamps to fix them in place.

I know why I didn't notice it. Things have been too hectic kite wise. In the last couple months I got the Nirvana UL (because of a mistake at R-Sky), the Nirvana standard (by choice) and a JB signature Rev. I’ve been jumping from one to the other without paying much attention to any of them individually. I got to settle down and settle in a little bit.

By the way, just to check things out, could you give me the measurement from the bottom end of the rubber cap to the bottom edge of the lower spreader connector?

Thanks again,

Keep It Up!

Duane

I checked measurements out and it seems to be right on the button now. I flew it for a little while today, till the heat burnt me out, and I couldn't see a whole lot of difference with the RTG. The UL winds up for a YoYo like that's what she wants to do, but the STD...I can get her on her back floating with no problem...just can't seem to get her to continue the revolution to wind the lines. I probably just need a lot more air time with her...(when things get cooler!) :sign_kitelife:

Thanks,

Keep It Up!

Duane

Aha, the bridle will not help you a lot with the yoyo, although the reverse-turbo helps a little bit, but you have to give a realy sharp input! What people here in germany usually do is to shorten the upper spreader by 1-2 cm. Alternatively, you can move the position of the US a little bit down. This can help with yoyos and taz-machines... Or try to put some more tailweight...

Just don't give up, the Nirvana is a great kite once you got used to it (the SUL is awesome imo)...

Andreas

I have some extra Nirvana parts, so I'll shorter one for the upper spreader this next weekend and give it a try. (work interferes with my kiting!)

The Nirvana UL I have, just loves to wind up line for the YoYo. The first time I put her in the sky she wrapped the line 5 times and the unwind..."It was beautiful!!!"

Thanks,

Duane

Thanks "Bimi", :wub:

I took the Nirvana STD out after putting on the RTG bridle, adding a few grams on the tail and taking 1 cm. off the upper spreader. The conditions were far less than desirable, but I was still able to get her to do a YOYO...It worked! :wub:

I'm going to remove another cm. from the upper spreader and see if that makes it any easier. But, seeing how I did one then it's just a matter of practice to do it as a normal trick with the STD.

I'm sort of surprised though because the STD and the UL are almost idenical, with exception of the frame size, but the UL does YOYO's without even trying while the STD takes some modifications and a little work?!?! :confused!:

Thanks again! If I had to depend on my on experimentation and trial and error, it would take me years to come up with what works, that's if I ever came up with anything!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi Bimi,

I flew today with the 2 cm. shorter upper spreader and was able to get some multiple winds for the YoYo. The problem I had was mostly with the kite going off center when winding, resulting in wing tip winds. I think I'll go to 150# line instead of 90# to give it a little more drag and go to 120' instead of 100' line to have a little more line to work with. I also thought if the tip was weighted a bit it might wind a bit faster and more balanced, possible keeping it centered better, so I inserted a solid copper ground wire (AWG 10) through the hollow in the upper spreader (the ground wire is about the same size as the hollow) which will add some weight to opposite side of the spin. I'm going on a computer free vacation for a couple weeks, but I'll tell you how it goes when I return.

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bimi or Anyone,

I'm trying to buy some 6 mm X 87.5 cm carbon tubing and I can only find the stuff in 82.6 lengths. Both the Nirvanas, UL & STD, have 6 mm spines 87.5 cm long and I thought I stock up on a few...but I can't find it anywhere. I sent off a bunch of e-mails, but I have not heard anything back yet. Please advise.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi Duane,

As far as I know, the "normal" versions of the Nirvana have normal 6mm carbon rods. Those rods are, at least in europe, available in any length up to ~2m. Maybe just ask at your usual kite shop. However, many versions of the Nirvana do have SkyShark spines. The std. 5pt, UL I don't know, but 3pt meight work. Those rods are available in long 40inch versions.

Check: http://www.skyburner.com/skyshark/pdfs/skysharkTubeChart.pdf

If 6mm is not available, take one of those and simply shorten them on the thin end down to the length you need. However, I have never ever killed a skyshark spine (pt or p series) on any of my kites, so do not stock too many of them. Only spine I ever killed was actually a 6mm one at an R-Sky Diablis. Oh, and if you change from 6mm to pt series, you will need a new centre-T. As this might be not available, I always drill the hole bigger...

Cheers

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was able to get the 5 & 6 mm tubes from "The Kite Shoppe" within about 3 dats after actually ordering them, their really good! So now I have back-up for everything I fly! Gives me a secure feeling ;)

I was finally able to get my dear "Serenity" (Nirvana STD) into the air today with the upper spreader cut 2 cm shorter and filled with copper its entire length from a soild piece of AWG 10 ground wire, using a 14 gram tail weight. The wind was light and off and on most of the time, but I was able pull off several multi wound yoyos with no real effort at all. Before it was difficult getting it to continue past the back floating position to wind the line, but now it wraps around easily. Seems to be better balanced now for yoyos, but I'll need better wind and more air time to see how it effects it's over all flight and other tricks.

Keep It Up!

Duane