KiteLife Forum

Mid-Vent Black Rainbow

Guru4tru

Well, I did it!! I ordered a Rev 1.5 Barresi Signature CUSTOM Mid-Vent BLACK RAINBOW By Revolution Kites

(It's just like the one in Hedgewarden's picture)

I didn't think I had the money, but my wife and I have this bucket we throw our change into each day when we get home from work (for a long time) and I added it up and there was over 300 bucks in the thing!! ""YES!!"" (Of course she claims equal value for her Christmas present... :confused!: I'll think about that later).

Check it out, it's a beauty!! https://www.kiteconnection.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi

Keep It Up!

Duane

Damn it's funny to see someone in their second childhood.

So the missus wouldn't fall for the "I'm buying this for you" trick a second time!!

You'll like the kite ... I covet my son's full vent whenever we're out flying. And, Dave's easy to work with.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Dave, at Kite Connection, just called me and confirmed the order & I wanted a 4 wrap rod set also, because I already have a 3 wrap with the STD Rev. I got (my wife) awhile back.

There are some rules though...I'm not allowed to touch it till Christmas! :D

----------

I glanced over my wife's shoulded as she was studing something on the computer after I spoke with Dave...she was looking at a $600 dollar camera...Ut-ooo :P

(Her idea of equality is different then mine...but, I'll be able to post a lot of pictures--I guess--that's if I can affort the gas to get to my flying field!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

I have a couple of suggestions Duane.

Sell your Wife, but keep her kite. This will mean you now have 2 kites, and have saved the $600 she was going to spend on the camera.

Sell your house, move closer to your flying field. This will mean you save money on fuel that you can spend on a mid vent. Even better, buy a trailer, then you can be so close to so many flying fields. Spend the spare money from the sale on kites.

If you have any other problems, feel free to drop me a line. Always glad to offer sensible solutions to problems.

Thanks "Baloo",

But,

I'm way ahead of you! Put her up for sale on eBay 3 weeks ago...just no response yet!! :D

Keep it up!

Duane

Maybe if you posted the link the the eBay wife sale you might get some takers from on here. I know John has got one of his own now, however you never know there might be another Kiter out there who wants a Wife :-)

Thanks again "Baloo",

You'll find her under "Antiques" and as an added enticement she comes with 2 "free" cats!

(But, I won't go any farther then that, just incase she would look at this forum, or I might be for sale as cat food!) :D

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thanks again "Baloo",

You'll find her under "Antiques" and as an added enticement she comes with 2 "free" cats!

(But, I won't go any farther then that, just incase she would look at this forum, or I might be for sale as cat food!) :D

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane,

Is that really "antique" or just "retro"?

Cheers,

Tom

OUCH!! Sorry Jynx!! (Hope "Jynx" doesn’t have my wife’s e-mail address!)

But, I don’t know “Jeepster”...I’m beginning to see a pattern here! "Baloo"...I think you might be real, But "Jeepster"...every time I express some of my “male chauvinistic-ness” you show up in the post--draw me out a little farther--then, you are always followed by my getting “nailed”. (Last time it was "Choccy")

-----------

Here in the West Palm Area there are very, very few kite fliers, to my knowledge, but there is a website here “locally” that I visited and there were guys “locally” talking about kite flying. I got all excited, "OTHER FLIERS...YES!!"...but when I checked into it, it was fake. The guy owning the website was just making up these people and talking to himself to drum up business.

------------

Jeepster!! Are you and the follow-ups--“real”-- or just posters my wife is imitation to bring me out in the open and then hitting me?!?! :confused!:

Have a Happy Turkey (or tofo) Day!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

OUCH!! Sorry Jynx!! (Hope "Jynx" doesn’t have my wife’s e-mail address!)

But, I don’t know “Jeepster”...I’m beginning to see a pattern here! "Baloo"...I think you might be real, But "Jeepster"...every time I express some of my “male chauvinistic-ness” you show up in the post--draw me out a little farther--then, you are always followed by my getting “nailed”. (Last time it was "Choccy")

-----------

Here in the West Palm Area there are very, very few kite fliers, to my knowledge, but there is a website here “locally” that I visited and there were guys “locally” talking about kite flying. I got all excited, "OTHER FLIERS...YES!!"...but when I checked into it, it was fake. The guy owning the website was just making up these people and talking to himself to drum up business.

------------

Jeepster!! Are you and the follow-ups--“real”-- or just posters my wife is imitation to bring me out in the open and then hitting me?!?! :confused!:

Duane,

Very much real ... substantial might be a good description.

Duane, you just have to forget about the time before the 60's ... today's gals are fully liberated and able to take care of themselves. They don't need my help to clobber you!! BTW ... during your discussions, just remember that Jynx is familiar with weapons. Oh yes, and she has a mid-vent B-series just like your new one ... well, except for the race rods ... I have mentioned before that I got to fly her kite first didn't I?

You might consider dropping in on the Rev forum and asking if anyone lives in your area ... just don't mention that you fly dual line kites. I've found several kite fliers in my area by flying at a church right along a major highway. One actually was/is a Rev flier. Several fly dual lines. And one designs and flies SLKs. Then the third method is to grow your own fellow kite flier ... my son became interested after trying my equipment a few times.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Jeepster,

OK...maybe you are real…Yeah...I'll forget about the 60s...and the 50s...and some of the 40s too, (if I can remember them)!!

And I'll go out and fly the churches this weekend and see what or who materializes. (Been kicked out of most churches a while back, but a lot of them dont know me today!) Ill give your advice a shot!!

WAIT A SECOND!! My wife has been trying to get me to church for years! Maybe…"YOU ARE HER" or one of her PUPPETS and I'm being played as the fool again!!

--------------

---------------

Well, one thing for sure that I'm going to do when my most beautiful Black Rainbow Rev. is in my hands…is to figure out a way to cover the vents to make it a STD when I want that out of her. Should be really simple…some rip-stop, or even silk for that matter, and wrap it over the top and bottom edges with a few stick on Velcro tabs. here and there and one or two in the middle. Yeah…it might make a negative difference flying and weight wise to the Rev. experts, but for the way I fly it wouldnt matter at all. And then my Beloved Wife and I will share the same space and time with both Revs. and Ill still have the mid-vent there to do my own thing with. (I figure the reason the kite makers haven't come up with such a thing is because you'd only have to buy 1 fully vented Rev. and then for 20 or 30 bucks (for the covers) you wouldn't have to my 2 more expensive kites to cover all the wind ranges.

Happy Turkey (or Tofo) Day!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

PS I checked out some of the post in the Rev. forum (as you suggested) and it's good to know that others, beside myself, didn't have the upside down and side hover come easyly for them. I'll have to spend more time there and try some of their suggestions. Thanks! [My wife wouldn't have suggested that?!?!]

Dont forget there is quite an overlap in wind ranges for the Full sail and Mid vent.

Especially as I think you said you had a Race frame in your soon to arrive mid.

You and your soon to be sold wife may be able to stand shoulder to shoulder on the flying field without special tarted up add on bits for your kite.

Then of course you might change your mind about the sale. Better to have another person to fly with than 2 kites that you can not fly together, unless you stack them or are Stevie D of course :-)

Yes, maybe I won't need the covers. They do fly pretty close, overlapping quit a bit on the "wind to wrap size" chart that Hedgewarden sent me. (Thanks again Horward!)

I didn't order & won't have any Race frame rods when the Black Rainbow arrives, I'll have a total of (6) frame set between both Revs., (2) 2 wrap, (2) 3 wrap, and (2) 4 wrap. I'm a survivalist and stock up on additional parts for all my kites and figured I'd be breaking a lot of things in the beginning too with the Revs., but that surprisingly hasn't happened yet.

The 2 warp & Race frame, according to the chart fly in about the same wind conditions.

But what is a Race frame? And how does it differ from a 2 wrap? (The 2 wrap I haven't flown yet, figuring they might be too fragil for my beginner learning peroid.) :D:P

Keep It Up!

Duane

Race rods are basically 2 wrap weight with 3 wrap stiffness and some added quicker reflex.

With what you have I would suggest trying 3 wrap center with 2 wrap outer's in the LE and 2 wrap down spars for light wind.

That is pretty much what most used before the race rods were made. That and lots of practice :D

Thanks "FortFlyer",

That sounds good--I didn't know you could mix and match things up! I have a lot to learn...and I've spread out my learning over the UL & STD duals and Rev. STD & Mid-vent quads...learning them all at once! heehee! :P

Years back when I was learning how to be a "pistolaro"...heehee!...they had a saying,

"Beware of the man who only owns one gun, because he probably knows how to use it!!"

That probably holds true in kiting as well! heehee! :D

Keep It Up!

Duane

Congrats on the new kite Guru, that's a beauty color set, especially in mid... I think the single vent makes it look tougher somehow. :mf_death:

Race frame, 3 wrap, 4 wrap, all great frames for the kite in their respective wind speeds...

Might try 50# quad lines in light wind sometime as well, less wind drag, easier to keep/maintain four line tension. :rev_clockwork:

"HE LIVES"---"HE LIVES"!!!

Hi "Kitelife"!! Major changes in your world!...The best to both of you!!

--------------------

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't have any 50# Quad line sets made up, (just 90's and 150's) but have a lot of 50# bulk line left over, that I was using to make up some dual line sets with for my beloved "Destiny" (Nirvana UL--she's great!!). So I have the line...what length would you suggest..."for beginners!" :rev_clockwork:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Yes, maybe I won't need the covers. They do fly pretty close, overlapping quit a bit on the "wind to wrap size" chart that Hedgewarden sent me. (Thanks again Howard!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Howard"..."Tom" Gee Wizz! I'm sorry! Both of you have given me so much help that, having not actually met either of you, I get you'all mixed up.

Correction: Jeepster-TOM--Thanks for the wind charts and Hedgewarden-Howard thanks for showing me the Black Rainbow (which I hope to be on it's way)!

Keep It Up!

(and I'll try to keep it together)

Duane

PS If I got that wrong too make sure to tell me!! :rev_clockwork:

Yes, maybe I won't need the covers. They do fly pretty close, overlapping quit a bit on the "wind to wrap size" chart that Hedgewarden sent me. (Thanks again Howard!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Howard"..."Tom" Gee Wizz! I'm sorry! Both of you have given me so much help that, having not actually met either of you, I get you'all mixed up.

Correction: Jeepster-TOM--Thanks for the wind charts and Hedgewarden-Howard thanks for showing me the Black Rainbow (which I hope to be on it's way)!

Keep It Up!

(and I'll try to keep it together)

Duane

PS If I got that wrong too make sure to tell me!! :rev_clockwork:

That's okay Duane ... all us old guys look alike!!!

Cheers,

Tom