KiteLife Forum

Big Rev. Day!!

Guru4tru

Yes!!! I'm picking it up! "REVOLUTION TIME!!"

Thanks to all of you for giving me such great directions!

When I first tried (my wife's) Rev. I said "NO WAY"...but, it called me back again...and again...

Today I figured out how to hover sideways!!! OK...that might no be big stuff in your Rev. world...but in mine this is AMAZING!!

So when it comes to basics I only need to get the inverted hover in place. Choccy told me to start at the top of the wind tunnel and (sorry, but I forgot who told me) to start upside down on the ground. I tried both and both taught me different aspect of how to do it, although I can't really do it...yet! But , I'm catching on...upside down stuff is really sensitive stuff...very small movements. Trying in on the ground was really cool...if you play it just right...the kite will slide across the ground like a sled (yeah...yeah...you knew that) but, I didn't and it was really fun. Never did get but a couple feet upsidedown before things went helterskelter...but I could run back and fourth the wind tunnel sliding sideways really great!! heehee!

Tomorrow!!! UPSIDEDOWN HOVERING!!

The wind was between 7 and 19 mph...with like steady gusts, (according to my super-dupper wind meter)...but I could still pull vertical (sideways) hovers. That gave me a new saying,

"Any Wind Is GOOD Wind!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• Like 1

Yes!!! I'm picking it up! "REVOLUTION TIME!!"

Thanks to all of you for giving me such great directions!

When I first tried (my wife's) Rev. I said "NO WAY"...but, it called me back again...and again...

Today I figured out how to hover sideways!!! OK...that might no be big stuff in your Rev. world...but in mine this is AMAZING!!

So when it comes to basics I only need to get the inverted hover in place. Choccy told me to start at the top of the wind tunnel and (sorry, but I forgot who told me) to start upside down on the ground. I tried both and both taught me different aspect of how to do it, although I can't really do it...yet! But , I'm catching on...upside down stuff is really sensitive stuff...very small movements. Trying in on the ground was really cool...if you play it just right...the kite will slide across the ground like a sled (yeah...yeah...you knew that) but, I didn't and it was really fun. Never did get but a couple feet upsidedown before things went helterskelter...but I could run back and fourth the wind tunnel sliding sideways really great!! heehee!

Tomorrow!!! UPSIDEDOWN HOVERING!!

The wind was between 7 and 19 mph...with like steady gusts, (according to my super-dupper wind meter)...but I could still pull vertical (sideways) hovers. That gave me a new saying,

"Any Wind Is GOOD Wind!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Sounds awesome Duane. I remember when I first learned the side hover. I would sit there in it all day, trying to land that bottom point on top of stuff.

Fun stuff!

Please help out here John ... support or dispute!!

It looks like many dual line fliers have some problems moving over to quads. In watching dual liners, there's a lot of flailing of the arms. That approach doesn't carry over into quads. It seems like there are two concepts that help one fly quads easier.

Concept 1) Strive to keep the handles (actually the top lines) centered in front of you and reasonably close together ... and below shoulder level. When the handles are right in front of you, it's easy to replicate the relative displacement fore-n-aft. When doing clock turns in the center of the wind window the offset fore-n-aft for a left hover is the same as for a right hover ... that seems to make the clock turns easier to achieve. If you hold your arms out to the side, it only takes a small amount of body rotation to greatly change the relative fore-n-aft relationship of the handles. That makes it harder to control the kite ... seems like you're always searching to get the right results.

Concept 2) Strive to hold the handles the same for each specific position of the kite. For example, on vertical hovers, I hold the bottom handle vertical and the top handle parallel to the ground ... upright hovers have the handles vertical ... inverted hovers are done with both handles parallel to the ground (probably not the best way.) For each rotational position of the kite, try to hold the handles the same way every time! Learning to fly automatically, without thinking, is mostly muscle memory, this concept gives your muscles the same movement/position to remember and it becomes easier.

Anyone care to comment???

Cheers,

Tom

Hey, I like the cone idea.

I have six of 'em. Should improve my chances of touching one.

So, the goofy old man with six traffic cones, smacking the ground with a Black Rainbow vented 1.5, looking lost at Kite Henge, will probably be me. :D

I look grouchier than I am. (Usually ;) )

Am willing to share traffic cones for lessons. :P

This cone idea is really good! It clears the beach in about half the time as before!! :D

Thanks again for the help! I'm going to copy this post and take it with me to the flying field to read as I'm doing. Sometimes my trying to imagine what is being said doesn't work out as well as reading and doing it at the same time! ;)

Keep It Up!

Duane

I think if a flier is "all alone" at their field, making the transition from dual to quad can be challenging.

But just 5-10 minutes with another experienced pilot, and most of that becomes null.

Inherently, the dual line kite is actually harder to fly, albeit easier to learn by yourself. ;)

With this cone on my head and rocket launchers at my side...

............."NO ONE CAN STOP ME!!".....................

(no one dares to gets very close to me either!!) ;)

So, JB...when you coming to Florida?

Keep It Up!

Duane

With this cone on my head and rocket launchers at my side...

............."NO ONE CAN STOP ME!!".....................

(no one dares to gets very close to me either!!) ;)

So, JB...when you coming to Florida?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane,

You forgot to link to the picture ...

tn_gallery_3449_226_134489.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

""IT LIVES"""...""IT"S HERE!!""

I just received my "MOST BEAUTIFUL"...""BLACK RAINBOW REV."" from Dave at Kite Connection!!!!!

Unfortunately...the deal with my wife is that I can't even look at it till Christmes! :kid_drool::kid_cussing::wub::wacko::sign_kitelife:

Keep It Up!

Duane

""IT LIVES"""...""IT"S HERE!!""

I just received my "MOST BEAUTIFUL"...""BLACK RAINBOW REV."" from Dave at Kite Connection!!!!!

Unfortunately...the deal with my wife is that I can't even look at it till Christmes! :wacko::kid_cussing::wub::wub::sign_kitelife:

Keep It Up!

Duane

That is the same deal I got?!?!?! (but she works out of the house 2 days a week :kid_drool:

Hi BillLamm,

If you've got a similar deal to mine...then we both are going to have a "Very Merry Christmas!!"

(and my wife will be going to work tomorrow and I'm at home...I mean...like...I should just check to see if Dave sent the right stuff...right?!?!)

Thanks for your (:sign_kitelife:) help!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi BillLamm,

If you've got a similar deal to mine...then we both are going to have a "Very Merry Christmas!!"

(and my wife will be going to work tomorrow and I'm at home...I mean...like...I should just check to see if Dave sent the right stuff...right?!?!)

Thanks for your (:kid_cussing:) help!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

I'm hoping tomorrow is a good warm sunny day in Palm Beach... obviously you need to check that all 4 lines are in the bag.. and if you unwrap that in the house it will be a mess?!?!? :kid_drool: we will have wind here but chillin cold and snow to go with it... :sign_kitelife:

Ahhh...Yes!! Perfect day here for flying and a good wind!!

But...My dear wife similed at me as she put "My Most Beautiful Black Rainbow" box in the trunk of her car and then drove away!?!? :sign_kitelife:

After 31 years of marriage you know what each other is thinking and don't get away with much!! Well...I'll have a great Christmas present this year!! :kid_cussing:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Ahhh...Yes!! Perfect day here for flying and a good wind!!

But...My dear wife similed at me as she put "My Most Beautiful Black Rainbow" box in the trunk of her car and then drove away!?!? :sign_kitelife:

After 31 years of marriage you know what each other is thinking and don't get away with much!! Well...I'll have a great Christmas present this year!! :kid_cussing:

Keep It Up!

Duane

LOL... ~~sigh~~

YES!!! Today was a good REV. Day!! (Black Rainbow still in wife's trunk--I'm flying hers...heehee!) :sign_kitelife:

Today I realized it "IS" possible to fly a Rev. unside down! It will just take me a little more time now to perfect it. I was able to hold it together upside down for maybe 45 seconds to a minute, which is really pretty long in air time. Then I would over combensate and it would start rocking and then I'd lose it. But, I'm getting it!!

One thing for sure...when the wind catches behind one of the sails...the Rev. really "explodes" in spins--twists--twirls as it heads toward the ground!! :kid_cussing:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hope the car and trunk are still there at Christmas.

I think you need to carefuly explain how worried you are, an expensive thing like a Rev being stored in a cold (or hot) dark car trunk.

It will be SO sad in there.

I needs to see the light to thrive, preferably on the end of 4 lines. Oh, and B4 Christmas.

Thanks "Baloo",

But...that won't work. After she found out I put her up for sale on EBay...she has no mercy! :kid_cussing:

But she is kind enough to let me fly her's till then. That's true love! :kid_drool: And I'm still trying to perfect a couple tricks with my duals, so I have enough going kite-wise to wait it out without too much pain. (And, I have to think up a name for her---it's my kite fetish thing! :sign_kitelife: )

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hope the car and trunk are still there at Christmas.

I think you need to carefuly explain how worried you are, an expensive thing like a Rev being stored in a cold (or hot) dark car trunk.

It will be SO sad in there.

I needs to see the light to thrive, preferably on the end of 4 lines. Oh, and B4 Christmas.

LOL... youcould get her a house plant and put it in the trunk... bet it needs sunlight and water before Christmas :)

Hey Tom, (or anyone else)

Couldn't fly today due to rain, but I was reading over my notes.

You mentioned that you hold the handles parallel the ground when you do inverted hovers...

Question: is that palms up w/ thumbs to the side or palms down w/ thumbs inward toward center?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hey Tom, (or anyone else)

Couldn't fly today due to rain, but I was reading over my notes.

You mentioned that you hold the handles parallel the ground when you do inverted hovers...

Question: is that palms up w/ thumbs to the side or palms down w/ thumbs inward toward center?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Palms down. The handles are not really parallel, more like at a 30 degree angle with the horizon.

Cheers,

Tom