KiteLife Forum

Spit Fire - Vision

I acquired recently the German Spit Fire - Vision kite and have flown it a couple of times. Its a kite with very strong pull and an odd character as it sometimes decides to do what it wants to do (jerks and drifts). The sail seems to be letting air flow in quite an uneven fashion, and the nose "twitches" (Not sure if that's the technical way to describe it) as the two leading edge joins at the nose too far apart (in my humble opinion).

Wondering if anyone else is flying this kite and can advise any modifications to it, so that it can be "tamed"...

post-4241-125996806965_thumb.jpg

regards, Steven

Wow man. Looks like a really unique kite there. Could you describe in more detail the 'uneven' airflow of this kites sail?

I would say that rebridling it would be an option. Making each haul line longer by an inch or so. It won't turn as sharp (I think,, not too sure as I've never seen that bridle config before, so Im doing off dual line experience), but might be a little more controllable?

Is the sail excessively loose by nature?

Uneven airflow meaning when the kite is in a nose-up hover, I can feel the uneven pull from the left and right side of the kite. And the difference is "alot" as I've never felt this with my Revs before.. And you can see the kite jerk as the uneven airflow runs all over the place.

What do you mean by "haul line"?

The sail is quite taut but I suspect the nose of the kite is causing part of the problem. I'll try to take a picture of the nose to illustrate my point next time I get a chance..

Uneven airflow meaning when the kite is in a nose-up hover, I can feel the uneven pull from the left and right side of the kite. And the difference is "alot" as I've never felt this with my Revs before.. And you can see the kite jerk as the uneven airflow runs all over the place.

The sail is quite taut but I suspect the nose of the kite is causing part of the problem. I'll try to take a picture of the nose to illustrate my point next time I get a chance..

I am as newb as they come.... that said... I think I would try moving the center connection point of the bridal to the nose... have no technical reason... just a gut thing ;)

Im talking about lengthening your bridle lines by an inch or so.

You could also lengthen your leading edge spars so they make closer contact with eachother at the nose of your kite. That should stop the problem ur talking about.

Also, maybe sew on a nice thick piece of Kevlar onto the nose -- making it more rigid, thus less likely to slip around on ya.

I'll try the bridle change suggested... I assume haul line is the main line. And also try moving the centre connection point nearer to the nose. But to extend the leading edge will be tricky since the nose is sewn shut. There is no T-connector there... And there is a gap between the centre vertical spar and the two leading edge... (causing the flex and movement resulting in a bouncy kite). Hopefully I can get some air time this weekend to try...

Thanks for all the suggestions...