KiteLife Forum

Who is your favorite kite shop at the moment?

John Barresi

Just polling to find who your favorite kite shop(s) are, and what what's set them apart for you... I'm sure other folks can benefit from that experience.

I also think it's important to recognize the folks that are working hard for you as fliers, and identify some of the things that have made them good to work with. :ani_rtfm:

Feel free to post a URL as well if you like, but anyone who owns a kite shop should sit this one out unless they're addressing a comment in good taste.

If you have any horror stories, I'd be up for reading those too, short of outright flaming.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is no longer a kite shop in Tucson. I am into older kites so my sources are Ebay and forums to locate kites for my collection.

My last "new" kite was a REV from Dave's shop in Huntington Beach. I also order bulk line from Corey

Dave and Corey have both been doing the kite thing for a long time, their knowledge and service are both top notch.

Some of my favorite shops I visited over the years:

Kite Country - San Diego

Catch the Wind - Oregon Coast

no longer around:

Windborne Kites - Monterey, California

Grand Bay Kites - Traverse City, Michigan

This thread bothered me for awhile. There are many good kite shops out there, why single out a few? But then, in child rearing and management, we're taught to praise in public and chastise in private. So, maybe this thread isn't so far off the mark.

When I first bought a kite, I surfed the Rev and IKE forum for comments. Then I surfed the web for all kite shops that handled Rev kites ... nearest store-front kite shop is 150 miles away. I found about a half dozen kite shops where they had Revs as a large part of their inventory. I've had dealings with four of those over the last year-and-a-half and came out with a positive feeling every time. I've also met the owners of the four shops and they are as friendly and helpful in person as over the phone or internet. Oh yes, if they don't have what you want on their website, call ... they develop their kite flying, not their web sites. These are my favorite four:

A Wind of Change ... Kent has the best web site for surfing and day dreaming ... he's also very knowledgeable about Revs and willing to share that knowledge.

Kite Connection ... Dave's web site is so-so, but he more than makes up for it in helpfulness ... also very knowledgeable about Revs.

Midwest Kites ... Lyn and Rich are very easy to work with, plus they're only 100 miles from me so if I need it fast!

Windpower Sports ... Cory is the most opinionated, talkative individual you'll ever meet ... and has been fun to deal with!!!

I've not dealt with several of the others, but from personal experience, I'd highly recommend the above four. They all have a good inventory of kites, parts and support equipment. All four shops have left me feeling positive about working with them.

Cheers,

Tom

Changing Will Roger's quote a little, "I never knew a man I didn't like." Well, "I never did business with a kite shop I didn't like!" :ani_rtfm:

So far I've ordered from and worked with: "The Kite Shoppe", "A Wind of Change", "The Kite Connection", "The Great Canadian Kite Company", "WindPower Sport", & "Into the Wind" and they are all great!

I couldn't put them in any kind of "who's best" order any more then saying who is best out of a bunch of friends that are all willing to help me!

But, I would like to see Mike at "The Great Canadian Kite Company" advertise in Kitelife, because he's a great guy and really goes out of his way to make sure everything is right and we would both benifit from it!

Keep It Up!

Duane

To clarify, one of my reasons for starting this topic was to identify the traits that are making the difference for you as customers/fliers.

And of course, those shops who are on the mark with their service and products are actually doing kiting a favor just by doing good business.

By singling out these great shops, it helps identify a standard that other shops might look at and benefit from, doing us all a favor by making more happy kitefliers.

I highly recommend Flying Smiles Kites! Located in Corolla, North Carolina. Cath & Elliott are more than willing to teach you to fly, without the pressure to buy. They made me a good deal on my first Rev, and it won't be the last one I purchase from them.

http://www.flyingsmileskites.com/

• Like 1
  • Like 2

Best lines and NICEST person ever is Theresa at The Kite Shoppe!

A super local kite shop, and host of our Milwaukee Kite Festivals, is Scott Fisher of Gifts of Wings! He's always ready to help us out and do everything in his power to make kiting in the Milwaukee area WINDerful!

Then there's Dave at Kite Connection who puts on the BEST Kite Party in the world, Lyn and Rich from Midwest Kites who are always ready to help answer questions, and also Corey from Windpower sports.

If price is #1 consideration... I have shopped that way too BUT it's nice to support the people who have helped bring me here and have become friends as well!

Like Jynx said, T at the Kite Shoppe is great. :w00t:

Elmers here in Porland has a good selection of all kinds of kites, and everyone working inside is always so friendly and helpful.

Above it all kites is a good place to stop and shop when in Seaside or Longbeach.

Got great dealing with Midwest Kites and Windpower sports.

Only been 1 major negative report. Both Aerochick and I had poor service from 1 online place. :P

( JB had to edit our flaming :kid_content: )

If your wondering about who we were not happy with, you will have to look at some real old posts. :)

Ken

Well, I hate to point fingers, but I suppose since we've been asked, it's okay. I began messing around with kites some years ago, and at the time, they were dual line stunt kites. This hobby began for me, while making annual visits, to the North Carolina Outer Banks, and at that time, I suppose my favorite kite shop was Kitty Hawk Kites, because they were the only kite shop, that I had any experience with. They are actually located within the city of Nags Head, NC, not Kitty Hawk, as the name implies. Anyway, they were there, when I was at the coast, and I suppose that they were the first kite shop, that I ever had any dealings with. I bought my first kite from them, a Prism Fanatic, which I thought was the greatest, and I actually learned how to fly on that kite, without destroying it. Since that time, I've purchased many other kites, however, from different shops and businesses. It seems that Kitty Hawk Kites was always to busy, to help with a repair, and to be quite honest, have never had anything that I needed for a repair (but that's another story), but anyway, they were located, right across the street from Jockey's Ridge, which is just about the greatest place to fly a kite, in the world.

Eventually, I found the online stores. Actually, I've gotten some pretty decent deals from Rudy's Toys. He's not just into kites, however, but he did have some great prices on some of the lower end stunt kites. I've also gone the eBay route, and purchased several kites from North Coast Wind Power, up in Cleveland. Seemed like a really nice guy, and he did deliver a good product, and quickly. At the time, that's all I was looking for.

And then, I got into buying supplies for making line-sets, etc, and I ran across Midwest Kites, out in Davenport, IA. Well, I've dealt with quite a few different online stores, but I've just got to say, Lyn & Rich, at Midwest Kites, are just the best. When I defected from dual lines, over to quad lines, Revs to be exact, they were both very helpful. They answered all of my stupid questions, and spent a lot of their valuable time, with me on the phone, just listening, and trying to direct me in the right direction. Well, I recently purchased a couple of B-Series Revs from Lyn & Rich, and their service was excellent. My purchases arrived in great shape, and so fast, I couldn't believe it. Then, there was a small problem, with a spar, and without delay, Lyn was in touch with Lolly at Rev, and bingo, problem resolved, immediately. Man, when those two get together, your problems are gone. So, I've just got to say..........thanks Lyn, thanks Rich, and thanks Lolly. You Rev heads out there know who Lolly is. Anyway..........I'll have to say, that online, my vote goes to Lyn & Rich at Midwest. I know that there are a great bunch of folks out there, that honestly want to help all of us air heads, and I have conversed with many of them. I only wish I could afford to buy kites from them all, but for now, I suppose I'll get off and let someone else talk..............

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I agree enthusiastically with a seller endorsed by prior posters to this thread:

Lyn and Rich at Midwest Kites in Iowa sold me my first three Rev's and gave me hours of flying advise and tips. Lyn really knows Rev's, and her advise has been spot on, and she has advised me with some single line kites as well. They ship very quickly and very economically.

You couldn't go wrong with Lyn and Rick, especially if you need expert advise from folks who have flown an awful lot.

For me, any kite shop that is handy is pretty favorite. I bought most of the kites I have now from Brick&Mortar stores (real ones, that you could walk into) more than 20 years ago.

Recently, I've been into MacKites (B&M plus the beach tent store) in Grand Haven, MI again after 20 years, and they are still friendly and helpful.

Also, recently, Kites & Fun Things in Plymouth, MI, Jon "SkyBurner" Trennepohl's B&M (and it really is a nice red-brick and mortar building) presence, (again, after 20 years) and Marieanne Trennepohl actually recognized me after all those years (and I've changed A LOT).

Of course, 20 years ago, there weren't any such things as Web-based stores, so you HAD to drive to where the kite stores were. I actually planned my vacations to go past the stores that I had heard or read about (and generally bought something new at each one). There were a few catalog stores, like Into The Wind, and they got their share of my kite dollars, as well.

Oddly, I really dislike talking over the telephone, so I have never ordered kites that way. (I need to see things written down, or in print, to remember them. The Internet, with order forms visible on my computer screen, is a real boon to me.)

I haven't ordered enough yet from the Internet, so I don't have enough experience to judge.I will have to come back to this topic in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have to give Pat, at NorthWind Kites, kudos, simply for keeping the place going for so long. Not a lot of kiters in Alaska and she has done a good job.

That said, I have to say Into The Wind. Mostly because I like their own kites, but also because, before I ever touched a kite I was a singer and they put up with me singing outside their shop for more than 20 years...LOL

--TaK

I have to add my two cents here about our local brick & mortar kite shop, Kites Unlimited in Atlantic Beach, NC. Jeri and Don have become close friends and are a fountain of information about kites, kite history and kite art and artists. They keep an eye out for things that I might like and will order anything that interests me. I buy vintage kites and discontinued kites on eBay and they willingly advise me on the kites I'm considering. I know they have saved me from some bad deals. They sponsor our local kite club and have a weekly fly at the local state park. Many of the members do not live locally but travel down several times a year to fly together. It's a very informal club. And they have an annual kite festival that has just completed its 24th year.

I am completely spoiled by having this shop so close. They feed my addiction. LOL

kjm

• Like 2

I would have to give a shout out to T from the Kite Shoppe. She is a huge supporter of kite flyers, always there on the phone and or on the beach.

Another shout out to Midwest Kites with Lyn & Rich. They were very helpful when all my kites were stolen. Just look at their home page. That's me and my custom full vent on the beach in Lincoln City, Oregon.

My other supplier is Lam Hoac. But I guess he really isn't a shop, but a one man show.

Thanks to all these people :clap;

• Like 1

I would have to give a shout out to T from the Kite Shoppe. She is a huge supporter of kite flyers, always there on the phone and or on the beach.

Another shout out to Midwest Kites with Lyn & Rich. They were very helpful when all my kites were stolen. Just look at their home page. That's me and my custom full vent on the beach in Lincoln City, Oregon.

My other supplier is Lam Hoac. But I guess he really isn't a shop, but a one man show.

Thanks to all these people :ani_yahoo:

Thanks Brett! :)

• Like 1

I bought most of my kites from Cutting Edge Kites in Ocean Shores, WA. Checked their website a couple of days ago and it does not seem to work anymore. Does anyone know if they have gone out of business?

That's too bad - it was a great shop with many good kites.

However, let me give a shout out for "Ocean Shores Kites" where I obtained my trio of Silver Foxes. They work to promote kite events in the area, and are very knowledgeable and helpful. When Cutting Edge was still in business, I tended to like Ocean Shores a little better - selection, friendliness, energy.

As for my favorite store - sorry, I don't have a favorite. But I would be very sad if The Kite Shoppe were not there, or MidWest Kites, or Into the Air, or Kite Connection, or Above It All (for sale right now BTW), or several other shops that elude my memory right now, but with which I have had extremely satisfying dealings.

Actually, I have only met one kite shop that I did not like - and it can remain nameless because I am sure that if you have visited more than two kite shops, you would recognize that shop as not worthy of patronage.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The only place I have ever dealt with is Kitty Hawk Kites in nags head. since Sept 5 ive spent over $2000 there and every time i go in there I feel VERY VERY unwelcome. Eric (reservation manager) told me in a very rude manner that i had gone through more kite parts in 2 1/2 months of flying than he has in a lifetime of flying! :kid_cussing: i hated his attitude so i called him out on it. I said "everytime i come in here you treat me like you dont want me here" his responce to that was...(not sry didnt mean to make u feel that way) but..."that's because im afraid im not gonna have the part you need. im gonna give you Rev's phone number so you can deal with them...we're just not gonna be able to keep a supply of parts for you" i bet he hasnt had as much fun as i have though :ani_yahoo:

John..feel free to verify that if you want. there # is 252-449-2210 And to top it off...I drive 2 hours to get there. And i STILL buy from them! I just refuse to let one JERK hold me down. My thoughts are...if i want to get to the level i plan on getting to...i had BETTER not be afraid to break em...and im not :devil: Ive only messed up 2 bridles, 3 spars and one supersonic sail :sign_oops: oh yeah...and the HQ Salsa i had to cut up to repair my supersonic :ani_giveup: . but...IT WAS FUN!!!!

• 4 months later...

Other than local hobby shops, with a limited supply at best, the only shop I've purchased from is Wind Power Sports. Mainly because of a clearance sale on a New Tech French Kiss. The only glitch we had was after ordering I did not receive a tracking number.

I rarely order things through the Internet so after a day and a half I called him. Corey Jensen answered the phone. He explained he had just returned a fest and was swamped with orders. He asked "are you new to the sport"? I answered yes and no. I flew a dual line Skynasaur back in the late '80's but had gotten out of it. His response was "well do you have a minute"? I said "yes" and it's lucky I have unlimited long distance :). We talked for about 20 min. on kites and life. The conversation ended with his statement I'll ship it out this afternoon. The tracking number would come once it was in the UPS sys. With a smile of anticipation I hung up and continued with my workweek. So ordered online on a Monday and talked to him on a Tuesday. Friday rolls around and I had yet to receive a number. I had also ordered some skybond for a kite I purchased from Troy Gunn but did not want to fly until I had the line. I really didn't want to bug Corey by calling again. Especially after being the penny pincher purchaser. (a clearance kite and free shipping) Anyhoo...I had to know...ring...ring...ring...Wind Power Sports, this is Corey. Me: yes, I was just calling to check the status of an order. What I thought was funny is he didn't ask for an order number. He asked what did you order from me? I told him and he looked up the status. "Well" he said "it looks like it's on the truc...nope it says delivered". "Yes, well I better take off work early and get my butt home then". He laughed and asked if I had any questions. I don't remember my first question but his reply was "do you have a minute"? Again thank goodness for unlimited LD. He is a hoot. For 30 min. we talked about line types, sleeving, wind properties, single/dual/quad lines and life in general.

The 2 local hobby stores have little kite knowledge and thus not very helpful. Sold it to me and said have fun. I flew kites years ago so I didn't need much help. But I could see where a first timer could get discouraged without a little training, verbal or otherwise. I've taken a couple of friends out to fly and some pick it up naturally and some need coaching.

I had a very acceptable kite purchasing experience with WPS. Provided you have time to talk:).

BTW the wind was about 10mph yesterday. WOW these are the first full size stunt kites I've owned...what a difference.