KiteLife Forum

wich kite to choose?

James M.

I know there are a few good fests somewhat "on the circuit" in Oklahoma and Illinois, I'm sure there's some stuff closer too, but you might very pop onto the Rev forum and post outright - "who's in my area?"

http://www.revkites.com/forum/

Super friendly folks there too, can't go wrong... A bunch of them have dual lines too, certainly no prejudice... You could at least get turned onto a good fly somewhere. :crazy:

The closest my crew (iQuad) and I have gotten to your area is the Frank Mots Festival in Milwaukee (WI - Sep), Great Lakes Festival in Grand Haven (MI - May) and the SPI Festival in South Padre Island (TX - Jan), all of which we do pretty much on an annual basis.... Just 3 of 12-20 events we do every year all over the country, as well as past trips to Colombia, Japan and England.

Hoping to get into the middle states a bit more, lots of folks like yourself I'd love to meet and fly with. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. My name is James and I am from Grandview, Missouri. I currently do not own a kite. I started looking into kites as a hobby the whole family may enjoy together. The stunt kites really cough my attention. After looking at a ton of different online retailers and their selection of beginner stunt kites for a few weeks now I find that selection of them is many. I need help, I have no idea as to what to get and who to get it from lol. :confused!: I subscribed to kitelife because this looks like the best place to get help.

Thanks,

James

Hey James,

Haven't heard much from you lately. How's the "mission impossible" of choosing your first "real" kite going??!?! :revonhead:;)

I'm changing my "kite line set" wardrobe around a bit to get more 90# stuff for my Quads instead of 150# stuff. I keep each of my kites in it's own pvc tube and each has it own line sets in each tube wrapped in it's own bag...yeah, I know... :blue-music: (crazy)...but, I only have so much room in each tube, so if you would like some 150# line sets...just give me some kind of address to send them to...You can contact me at Guru4tru@aol.com...and they're on their way. If not they will go to Billamm for his birthday...when ever that is...heehee! :)

You get the first shot at them!! :w00t:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Welcome James.

The thing about buying 1st kites is the smaller ones are less expensive. But they are also alot faster. For some people, the biggest you can afford to get is the best to learn with. The bigger kites are slower moving and give more response time, but have a little more pull.

Think of a hummingbird on strings, or a blue bird.

For myself I have 4 dual line kites, and have never been good with the slack line tricks.

Then bought my 1st Rev from Theresa at The Kiteshoppe.

Revs are different flying altogether.

From another perspective, Revs can stop and hover in mid-air, and just so more controlable once you get the hang of them.

Another issue is laying out the line for flight. With 2 lines it is usually just a matter of untwisting.

I have had my quad lines get quite tangeled up, and it requires a little more work to get them set up.

So if you see someone flying, just stop by and talk with them. They may offer to let you fly and give you some instructions.

Ken

After hundreds of hours of looking at videos I do love the flight of the Revs so I just need to save some $$ and get one just may take a wile.

James

Hi James,

Well, you can't go wrong with a Rev. that's for sure, but, "yes" they are expensive. This is the first Rev. I bought:

http://www.awindofchange.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AWOC&Product_Code=revbarresi&Category_Code=rev

And it comes with 2 different frame sets, which I certainly needed to fly in most wind.

Maybe others can confirm that this would be the best Rev. to go with.

As I said, I can save you a couple bucks on line sets though, because I have 2 Quad line sets that you can have, if you want them. One is 75' x 150# and the other 120' x 150#. If, or when, your sure the Rev. is the way you are going, just e-mail me an address and a persons name and I'll send them off. ( This may give you some time to learn how to untangle lines before the Rev. gets to you...heehee!) :blue-music:

Keep It Up!

Duane

For the record, once you know how to do it, quad lines shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes to set up and take down, about the same as a dual line.

There's a post on the approved methods in the Rev forum somewhere. :blue-music:

You know I have a copy of that in my "Field Notebook", but I can't find in online in the posts, but I know it's there. Matter of fact, I can't really investigate it properly because almost every search sends me out of the fourm...but, I'll keep working at it! :confused!:

BTW James...you probably already know it, but if not, the most important thing in my life (except my wife---just had to throw that in incase she reads this) is the "Lark's Head" knot...that hold my kite life together!! heehee! :revonhead:

Keep It Up!

Duane

For the record, once you know how to do it, quad lines shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes to set up and take down, about the same as a dual line.

There's a post on the approved methods in the Rev forum somewhere. ;)

Not sure how, but some days I get it done right :revonhead: , and other days they just seem to get tangeled. :blue-music:

Just need more practace. :w00t:

After hundreds of hours of looking at videos I do love the flight of the Revs so I just need to save some $$ and get one just may take a wile.

James

I think you will be happy with a rev.

Duane said they are expensive, but when you consider they are hand made here in the US, it is still a good value.

Keep an eye out for a good used one.

Ken

Big thanks to Duane for the line sets. It is much appreciated my friend.

Sorry I have not been active lately. My daughter is 11 months old and has started crawling so I have done a lot of baby proofing and watching her to she what all she can get into to see what else needs moved or what not. It blows me away how fast time is going by now she is in my life.

James

Glad I could help! (Got em wrapped up and they'll be off Mon. morning)

AHHH...YES....You have the "TTs" ahead of you...the "Terrible Twos"...that's when their legs, arms and body are in full motion, but their brains aren't in gear yet! :revonhead::w00t:;):)

There are some great women Rev. flyers...she may be a future Rev. champ! :blue-music:

Keep It Up!

Duane

The reve's are fun- but for now to get flying I would recommend the nexus from Prism they are sturdy and will take a lot of abuse. Plus if you have several people to purchase for- every one could have one.

Yeah James,

If you decide to go with a dual liners, the lines coming your way will work fine on them too. It's the same...just use 2 lines instead of 4 and you'll have 4 dual line sets instead of 2 quad line sets. (And of course you'll need straps instead of handles.) :w00t:

OR...you can sell your car and buy both a Rev. and some dual liners! heehee! :blue-music::revonhead:;)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Glad I could help! (Got em wrapped up and they'll be off Mon. morning)

AHHH...YES....You have the "TTs" ahead of you...the "Terrible Twos"...that's when their legs, arms and body are in full motion, but their brains aren't in gear yet! :w00t:;):):)

There are some great women Rev. flyers...she may be a future Rev. champ! :blue-music:

Keep It Up!

Duane

mine is 18 and some days it feels like we are still waiting on the brain to get in gear :revonhead:

mine is 18 and some days it feels like we are still waiting on the brain to get in gear :blue-music:

=================================================================

Hi Bill,

Stick around (mine in their early 30s)!?!?...you haven't seen anything yet!! ;)

Wait till their brain really kicks into high gear and the gas peddle is at full throddle and they haven't the slightest idea how to drive the car or where they are going!! :):w00t:

But, once in a while we get some time alone and put some kites into the air and then we have a little time that we can relate to each other!! :revonhead::)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi Bill,

Stick around (mine in their early 30s)!?!?...you haven't seen anything yet!! :w00t:

Wait till their brain really kicks into high gear and the gas peddle is at full throddle and they haven't the slightest idea how to drive the car or where they are going!! ;):revonhead:

But, once in a while we get some time alone and put some kites into the air and then we have a little time that we can relate to each other!! :blue-music::)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Yeah... these digital kids?!?? they are either on or off?!?!?!

Hi James,

I got the line sets off in the mail this morning. The line sets are new and, because the line is braided, new line sets need to be stretched to tighten up the braiding and take most of the stretch out of them before using them. I already stretched them, but it wouldn't hurt to stretch them again, if for no other reason then to know how to do it.

I hammer a large nail into a sturdy fence post and put the 4 loops of one end around the nail, making sure the loops aren't overlapping. Then I run the 4 lines through my fingers as I walk off to the other end to insure the lines are separate and not wrapped around each other. Then when I get to the other end I put a wooden dowel through the other loops. (Don't use your fingers because that will cause some pain.) Then, holding the dowel out if front of me, I lean back using my weight to stretch the lines tight. You'll feel the line give a little as you continue to lean back. The line sets are 150#, so you can put pretty much weight on them without worrying about breaking them. Then just hold the lines, supporting your weight as you lean back, for about a minute or two and then the lines will have been stretched!

If anyone has a different or better method, please chime in. :blue-music:

Oh Yeah...if you have cats, as I do, make sure they aren't present. They will think I bought them a new toy. And if they get a hold of the braided line, then they will have a new toy, because that's about all the line will be good for!! :revonhead::w00t:

When finished, you can decide how you might want to wrap the lines on the winder. The instructions on the way JB wraps his Quad Lines, I posted at the "Quad Head" forum topic "Winding Quad Lines". I presently use two winders for each Quad line set, but I plan on changing over to JB's way now that I'm more accustom to working with 4 lines instead of 2.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Oh Yeah...I forgot to mention that you will also need a "kite stake". Something has to hold the end with the handles or straps while you're at the other so the kite doesn't get blown around or take off.

I made my own out of 3/8" alum. and put cabinate knobs at the top with a key hook on it so I'm able to hook it on and off my belt loop with one hand. The other hand is needed to hold the handles or straps. Or you can buy some that come with a sheath to slip in into.

Others may have something to say on this too. And on the home page of "Kitelife" you'll find an advertisment for some pretty fancy ones. http://www.kitestakes.com/

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi James,

I got the line sets off in the mail this morning. The line sets are new and, because the line is braided, new line sets need to be stretched to tighten up the braiding and take most of the stretch out of them before using them. I already stretched them, but it wouldn't hurt to stretch them again, if for no other reason then to know how to do it.

I hammer a large nail into a sturdy fence post and put the 4 loops of one end around the nail, making sure the loops aren't overlapping. Then I run the 4 lines through my fingers as I walk off to the other end to insure the lines are separate and not wrapped around each other. Then when I get to the other end I put a wooden dowel through the other loops. (Don't use your fingers because that will cause some pain.) Then, holding the dowel out if front of me, I lean back using my weight to stretch the lines tight. You'll feel the line give a little as you continue to lean back. The line sets are 150#, so you can put pretty much weight on them without worrying about breaking them. Then just hold the lines, supporting your weight as you lean back, for about a minute or two and then the lines will have been stretched!

If anyone has a different or better method, please chime in. :kid_loved:

Oh Yeah...if you have cats, as I do, make sure they aren't present. They will think I bought them a new toy. And if they get a hold of the braided line, then they will have a new toy, because that's about all the line will be good for!! :):cat_lol:

When finished, you can decide how you might want to wrap the lines on the winder. The instructions on the way JB wraps his Quad Lines, I posted at the "Quad Head" forum topic "Winding Quad Lines". I presently use two winders for each Quad line set, but I plan on changing over to JB's way now that I'm more accustom to working with 4 lines instead of 2.

Keep It Up!

Duane

That stretching is pretty important James. I just use my kite stake in the ground,, string the lines out, then stretch them with one of my quad handles looped through the line sleeve. Doing this not only stretches the line, but also stretches the knots that have been tied in the sleeving. Added to that stretch, go out and fly with the line. After 9 hours or so on the lineset, string em out again and re-measure. Im sure they'll have stretched a bit more (when you add rain, humidity, temp. into the mix, it all plays a part in line stretch), so try and equalize them again.

As for cats? Oh man,, I feel ya there Duane. My little siamese wont leave me alone when Im working indoors with line. lol.

and for winding,, its all just user preference when it comes to quad line. I find that figure 8 winding on the standard "laser Pro" winders works great all around. At the 120' mark the winder is pretty full of line on a figure 8 wind, so I've heard that a straight wind works better if you're running into trouble with that -- Just make sure to separate the L and R lines with your fingers while winding up, and make sure to keep the line wound taught to the winder. Dont worry about separating top to bottom lines, just the left to right.

Mouthful and headful huh? lol.

Hey Duane, we should start calling you Kite-a-Clause. lol ;) Got a set of 120' 90# lyin around? lol j/k ;)

Cheers guys.

James,

All good advice so far on line stretch ... actually Kent tells me it's technically called creep!

The one other thing you should add to the mix is to rotate your top and bottom lines during the initial break-in period. The top lines carry a greater load than the brake lines, especially when flying in high winds. If you don't rotate your lines, then the bottom lines will not have been subjected to the same loading and will continue to elongate over time. Thus, your line sets will have to be adjusted more often.

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanks for mention the thing about rotation the top and bottom lines during break-in. I didn't know that...and I couldn't figure why the lines came up to be slightly different lengths when I knew they were perfect when I made them. (No one ever accusted me of being intelligent!!) :);)

And ESJon, Kite-a-Clause...heehee...will be making up a 90# x 120', x 100', and a 30 footer for himself, as soon as the 90# line arrives, so you'll have to put that on your next years Christmas/Birthday list, or get back out there piching up those beer cans!! ;):cat_lol:

I never flew Elvira (My Most Beautiful Black Rainbow mid-vent) with less then 75', but today I'm going to try a 50# x 50' that I have and then try a 30', when I get it made up, and see how it goes. I understand it's a bit different. With that I'll be able to try Tristan's "Two Skips and a Throw!" method!! :kid_loved:

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing another hurtle to get over would be knowing what model to get being there is a few to pic from and no vent, mid vent, full vent, leather seats, and power windows :kid_loved::w00t: : :doh::mellow:;)

James

power windows... definitely...

I am pretty new to all this and I have a 1.5 SLE

If you have the money get the B series standard and full vented... no really.. after getting the 1.5 SLE in to a little gusty wind and after flying a vented I can see how it can round out my flying options... I suspect the mid vent by itself is a good all around kite with race rods and 4 wraps but very few people seem to be talking about mid vents

with the B series you get 2 full frame sets, this means you can get a good mix of sticks from the beginning..

the Zen is probably a better addition to that mix than the 1.5 sul for low wind

if that is not an option I would get the 1.5 SLE and ask if you can get 4 wraps and a set of race rods... I have 3 wraps and look forward to race rods and the ability to slip a 3 wrap in next to the race when the winds pick up.. I noticed with the vented I flew once that the gusts are greatly muted and control was much higher in choppy wind... I suspect this will be less of an issue after I "own my hover"