KiteLife Forum

wich kite to choose?

James M.

If you are buying a new Rev, many places will swap out the SLE for the smaller Rods if you ask at the shop.

It is worth asking, the worst you will get is a "no sorry, cant do that for you" maybe it is time to try another shop?

Hi James,

A few months ago I went through the same wringer as to which Rev. to buy and I talked to a lot of people here and at the AKA site and the results came down strongly that the best thing to buy would be a 1.5 B-series John Barresi Signature. I was told that the SLE was a bit too stiff for beginners. So, I bought a 1.5 B-series John Barresi Signature(for my wife-heehee) and it's great!

At Christmas I received "Elvira" which is a Rev 1.5 Barresi Signature Black Rainbow mid-vent (found only at Kite Connection) and she is really great too. I perfer the mid-vent, but yesterday the wind was so slight that I couldn't keep "Elvira" in the air, so I tried my wife's standard and I could keep hers in the air--but just barely. So the standard may have a very slight advantage over the mid-vent in really low wind. But with any wind at all and especially high winds..I'm with "Elvira's" mid-vent for sure. But, I never flew a full vent so I can't say anything on that. I will say that most of the people at the TISKC (Treasure Island Spot Kite Competion) were flying standards.

The best advice I was given was to go to some festivals or kite shops or trade shows and fly the different kites, if at all possible, first. I didn't have that opportunity so I went with the advice of others.

You might check with the AKA forum (under the "Mulit-Line" topic and other forums, like the Rev. forum) to read past postings, because your question has been kicked around a lot!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 1 month later...

Finally got a kite lol. The price was right, FREE. It is a Beetle, nothing fancy but it will work and the price was great. Gets me started.

James

Alright!! Way to go James!! "You're Kiting!!" :ani_weightlift:

And nothing wrong with starting with a "Beetle". It's sure a lot better then just standing in a field with two lines in your hands!! heehee!

Yeah...I'd think of you quite often, wondering if that kite ever came your way (took a long time!...heehee!). I was going to contact you, but I figured you'd post something when you did get it...and you finaly got it!...That's Great!

Happy Flying!

Keep It Up!

Duane

So...you aren't in the air yet!! heehee!

You might try...A Wind Of Change:

http://www.awindofchange.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AWOC&Product_Code=Beetle2100&Category_Code=kites

I've bought a lot of stuff from them and they are a great kite shop. I don't know if they have what you need, but that would be a good place to start.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi James,

I never flew the "Beetle", I started with a Quantum...but, from reading the review on it...it looks like a pretty good starter kite. But, there are probably some here that can give you first hand information on it.

I just wanted to mention that if one of those pieces "desolved" it might be good to replace them all, or at least check them real close. I saw that "Midwest Kites" http://www.midwestkites.com/ , (also a sponsor of Kitelife along with AWOC), that I have also had great dealings with, carries the "Beetle" and parts for it too. You might cross check what they have and contact them with any questions. Both places I've found very helpful and open to talk with.

When you get it in the air...make sure to tell us about it!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

James, I am also from Kansas City and just wanted to point out that this coming Saturday is perhaps the best day of the year around here to really get a great introduction to kiting! The Flights of Fancy Kite Festival is where I was first really introduced to the hobby. There will be plenty of oportunities to try out different kites and a bunch of vendors there selling them. I'm unable to attend this year, but it will surely be a good time. Hope this helps!

Yes we all ready have planes on attending that :)looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up on the vendors I did not think any would be at it, I will definitely remember to stop at the bank on the way lol. What kinds of kites you like to fly?

James

Best of luck with geting the Beetle sorted out. I have one, more correctly I bought it for my Wife after investigating for a robust dual liner.

She has not broken it yet, I have though :ani_weightlift: Good kite for flying around a bit. Not so good if you want to trick.

Got mine with the high wind adaptors. Will fly in quite low wind. Needs more strength for higher winds.

Oh and welcome to the forun GrooveHobbit, good info for James.