KiteLife Forum

Quad Line Sets

Guru4tru

OK...while you brilliant, experienced and handsome (or pretty??) Quad experts are talking about your "axels", I'm preparing for a "group fly" next year at the TISKC!

Yeah...Yeah...beginner stuff to you'all maybe, but give me some time...I might be old, but experience has made me ruthless!!

Here's what I got:

(1) 75' x 150# quad line set

(1) 100' x 150# " " "

(1) 120' x 150# " " "

(1) 75' x 90# quad line set

(1) 100' x 90# " " "

(1) 120' x 90# " " "

I presently have 150# bulk spectra (and more 90# bulk spectra on the way), so what would be the best line sets to make up that I don't already have....and which line sets would be good to have a spare of just incase one of them dies somehow?

Keep It Up!

Duane

(1) 100' x 150# " " "

(1) 120' x 150# " " "

(1) 100' x 90# " " "

(1) 120' x 90# " " "

I presently have 150# bulk spectra (and more 90# bulk spectra on the way), so what would be the best line sets to make up that I don't already have....and which line sets would be good to have a spare of just incase one of them dies somehow?

Duane,

Don't know your experience with dual line sets, but quads line sets last a long, long time with reasonable care. You might cut a line near the kite if you and others get to playing war, but for normal use you should not have to build spares ahead of time. With what you have in the bag, I'd focus on the shorter line sets with 90# line ... 50', 25~30' and maybe a 10~15' line set will give you some new experiences. The shorter line sets are generally brought out when the wind is very light.

I really wouldn't recommend making up anymore 150# line sets. I'm currently making up my first 150# line set to use with a six kite stack. Some of our British friends like to use the 150# line when the winds are really howling, but I've flown my full vent in 30mph plus winds on 90# lines and not broken anything. When the winds get to that level, the fun factor with a full size Rev is greatly diminished. I either fly a Rev II or one of my four foot Half-Pint kites ... or go home.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Duane,

Here's the rev-neo-experienced engineer's suggestions based on reading and some experience...

The suggestion that 90# lines are all you need is pretty darn good - flying a *vented* in high winds reduces the pull, and the Laser Pro Gold 90# lines are so light and slick that going to 50# in light winds will be only a small advantage.

I like the combination of 50', 80', and 120'. And, (50+80+120) x 4 = 1000 feet - so sorry Laser Pro does not sell 1000 ft bulk like Shanti does.

The 50', 80', 120' combination is also very close to a geometric progression. Most sensory impressions are exponential (i.e. geometric progressions), such as sound, light, and flying in the bliss zone.

I have 50# 50' lines that are nice in crowded areas and low winds - so as not to wipe out too many kiddie spectators with my inexperience.

So, my suggestions, in order:

90# 80' (give or take 5' or 10')

90# 120' (standard for flying with others - which I haven't done yet. Could be first choice for some)

90# 50' (for learning control and faster responses close up, and for lighter winds, crowded flying venues.)

50# 50' (for light winds, close areas.)

150# 80' (if you really are leaning back on your kite's, pull, or stacking kites.)

..the rest of the list depends entirely on your experience and where you want to go.

I started to cut my own "complete set of 9" (50', 80', 120') x (50#, 90#, 150#) :revonhead: . Part way through the project, I decided the 90# pretty much handled all the situations, since venting reduces the pull in high winds, and 50# lines were only slightly lighter. The difference in line strength seems less important in quads than in duals - the latter having pulled me skidding across the sand in 20+ mph winds, and falling out of the sky on 80# lines in light winds.

Other lengths, 100', 40', or whatever, I would consider special situation lines - you'll know when they are needed. :blue-music:

Now, all I have to do is get JB or Watty to teach me what the heck I'm doing, or should be doing, flying.

Recon you have all the lengths covered Duane.

If you are in a group you already know that 120 is the accepted way to go.

You could make up some shorter ones.

I love a Rev 1 on 50ft lines.

Go shorter and get to throw the kite around a bit.

I think you have what you NEED, just make up what you want.

OK...while you brilliant, experienced and handsome (or pretty??) Quad experts are talking about your "axels", I'm preparing for a "group fly" next year at the TISKC!

Yeah...Yeah...beginner stuff to you'all maybe, but give me some time...I might be old, but experience has made me ruthless!!

Here's what I got:

(1) 100' x 150# " " "

(1) 120' x 150# " " "

(1) 100' x 90# " " "

(1) 120' x 90# " " "

Keep It Up!

Duane

The only things that I could possibly think of to add would be

120' x 50#

another 120' x 90#

30'-50' x 90#

None of these will be essential for team flying with what you already have, but they are the only things I can possibly think you could add. T

The 50# set is something that I have seen iQuad and others use in ultra-light wind. For me, I don't care for it, because the 90# feels plenty light, and the 50# gets into knots easier. So, to me, the cons weigh out the pros.

The 120'X90# set is not essential because you already have one, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a backup. I have been flying on the same 120' x 90# line set for 3 years now (only 120' set I have ever owned).

The 30-50' lines are able to give you a great new experience. The short lines enable you to experiment more. When working on new tricks, I'll use my 30' set because if I mess up, I just walk out 30', pick up the kite, and toss it. No kite stake, no hassle. Plus, it is my belief that the shorter lines increase the learning curve. For the first 2 years of my flying, I flew almost exclusively on 30' lines. The smaller wind window that you get from these lines requires you to hover more and have more control over your speed as opposed to the 120' wind window where you could zoom around in a big figure-8 all day. Another bonus to shorty lines is that when the wind is real light, and everyone is grounded, I grab my 30' lines and play just fine. What can be really fun is finding another person with 30' lines, and fly pairs with him/her. All the movements are really tight in that small window and are great fun and practice.

I personally do not own a 150# line set. I completely agree with Jeep. I have been skiing down the beach using 90# lines and a full-vent kite, and the bridal broke before the lines did.

Here's what I got:

(1) 100' x 150# " " "

(1) 120' x 150# " " "

(1) 100' x 90# " " "

(1) 120' x 90# " " "

Keep It Up!

Duane

looks like you could tuck some of the 150# sets away for when you buy one of those custom stacks... turn a few others into dual sets for your duals... split the 100' 90# set into a 50',30' and 20' (or better yet three 30's and send one to me for my B-day :blue-music::revonhead:

Thanks to all for the suggestions and shared experience!! Never fails...if I have a question, you'all have the answers! :blue-music:

---------

There is new nomenclature around my house. My wife asks me how was my day and I answer, "I had a 4 wrap day!!" (that says it all!!) ;)

Today I learned what the greatest thing was that I learned at TISKC this last weekend: Set up and rest the kite "upside-down"!! (little things that lone wolfs don't know and the experts didn't remember mentioning). But, in the 20 to 25 MPH winds today...It sure made things a hell-of-a-lot easier!! As I was before I would have to have a wrestling match with the kite and wind to get things together! :revonhead: Thank you Paul from DC!! :w00t:

Keep It Up!

Duane

I decided to go with some Laser Pro Gold on a 120'x90#...OUCH!!!!

DAMN is that stuff expensive!! :revonhead:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Yea, I hear ya, but it is money well spent. Like I said earlier, I've been using the same 120' line set for three years!

Yeah...All I hear is praise for the line...not a bad word!

The "Gold" in "Laser Pro Gold" does mean that the line is braided gold threads...right! No wonder it is so expensive!! :blue-music::w00t:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thanks Watty, Tom, Howard and others for your shorter line suggestions.

Today I flew a "50' x 50#" on my wifes "Paul Revere" (1.5 B-series STD JB signiature) If I can name my kite "Elvira", suppose she can call her's "Paul Revere".

[For "Baloo": Paul Revere was a guy during colonial time that was said to have mounted his horse and rode around yelling, "The British Are Coming!!"--"The British Are Coming!!" to warn everybody at the beginning of the "REVOLUTION!!" (Of course the odds on him actually yelling that are about zero, because no one would have had the slightest idea what he was talking about and would have figured "Old Paul" had spend a little too much time in the pub again...because almost everyone in the colonies at that time was British!!]

But, the wind was about 4 to 6 MPH and I thought a full sail would be better then Elvira's sexy mid-vent. I never flew with such a short line (the thirty footer ought to be interesting) and it was really great, but it sure showed me the work I have to do to get my act together by TISKC next year (Denny, don't expect me up your way very soon to practice) I didn't do too bad though...but the short line sure magnified the areas I really need help on. One area I have a big hole in is when I do a slow controlled circle and the kite starts off in a vertical hover and then goes off to the side and goes up and turns at the top then goes upside down and then...when it is suppose to go from upside down back to a vertical hover with the lines crossed (it's original starting point) I really screw up!! Making that shift s-l-o-w-l-y is beyond me right now. No problem doing it fast, but in a slow controlled motion...it goes to hell everytime!! :):kid_loved::cat_lol:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thanks Watty, Tom, Howard and others for your shorter line suggestions.

Today I flew a "50' x 50#" on my wifes "Paul Revere" (1.5 B-series STD JB signiature) If I can name my kite "Elvira", suppose she can call her's "Paul Revere".

[For "Baloo": Paul Revere was a guy during colonial time that was said to have mounted his horse and rode around yelling, "The British Are Coming!!"--"The British Are Coming!!" to warn everybody at the beginning of the "REVOLUTION!!" (Of course the odds on him actually yelling that are about zero, because no one would have had the slightest idea what he was talking about and would have figured "Old Paul" had spend a little too much time in the pub again...because almost everyone in the colonies at that time was British!!]

But, the wind was about 4 to 6 MPH and I thought a full sail would be better then Elvira's sexy mid-vent. I never flew with such a short line (the thirty footer ought to be interesting) and it was really great, but it sure showed me the work I have to do to get my act together by TISKC next year (Denny, don't expect me up your way very soon to practice) I didn't do too bad though...but the short line sure magnified the areas I really need help on. One area I have a big hole in is when I do a slow controlled circle and the kite starts off in a vertical hover and then goes off to the side and goes up and turns at the top then goes upside down and then...when it is suppose to go from upside down back to a vertical hover with the lines crossed (it's original starting point) I really screw up!! Making that shift s-l-o-w-l-y is beyond me right now. No problem doing it fast, but in a slow controlled motion...it goes to hell everytime!! :):kid_loved::cat_lol:

Keep It Up!

Duane

A suggestion if I may...........???

Loosen up on the handles and lower them down on the foam a little.

Additionally, take your thumbs off the handles and try to "drive" the kite with small inputs from your pinky and third fingers.

BTW, your "very sexy Elvira" mid vent would absolutely love that 4-6 mph breeze!!!!!

... One area I have a big hole in is when I do a slow controlled circle and the kite starts off in a vertical hover and then goes off to the side and goes up and turns at the top then goes upside down and then...when it is suppose to go from upside down back to a vertical hover with the lines crossed (it's original starting point) I really screw up!! Making that shift s-l-o-w-l-y is beyond me right now. No problem doing it fast, but in a slow controlled motion...

Duane,

First of all that's the real joy with flying a Rev ... there are so many new things to practice, it never gets boring!!

As to a slow, controlled circle ... yep, been there and stumbled. That part of the circle needs a quick change in handle position. You can do it fast 'cuz you're using momentum to get through the part where your brain has to process a hand movement that doesn't yet make sense. Do it fast, then slightly slower, and slower, and slower until your brain catches on. At least that's how I worked through that problem. My first circles looked more like figure nines!!!

The funniest one for me was the figure eight. I also fly RC planes where the figure eight shows up in maneuvers. Flying towards the ground in the middle of the figure eight (Cuban Eight) is the most difficult of the two directions. Going upwards in the middle of the figure eight (Reverse Cuban Eight) is not as frightening or dangerous. So, I practiced the "hard" maneuver with my Rev by going downward in the middle of the wind window. I got pretty good at it ... remember that pride goes before the fall!!! The very first time I flew with others, they flew upwards in the middle of figure eight and my brain completely locked up in the lower right corner of the maneuver. Two kites ahead, one behind, the lines slightly wrapped up, and I simply hung there in the air trying to work out what to do next. Embarrassing at the time, but funny now. The other guys were very cool with my fumbling around ... being patient seems to be a universal trait with team members.

So enjoy the learning experience ... all the honest flyers will admit to having brain freezes over different maneuvers ... you're following a well blazed trail.

Cheers,

Tom

PS as Rich suggests ... relax your grip on the handle ... relax your mind ... and enjoy the experience!!!

Hot Damn!! You won't believe this! :kid_loved:

The wind wasn't quite as good today as yesterday, unsteady & lots of direction changes, but I took "My Most Beautiful" Elvira (Blk/Rainbow mid-vent) out to try the circle. (Like a slow circle should be a difficult thing!?!?)

I followed instructions, lower and loosened my hands, neglecting the thumb and inputs from last two fingers...and the first try it came around with out the slightest problem! I couldn't believe it. Yesterday I spent 3 hours and didn't do a single good circle. It was like I couldn't ever remember where the problem was...I did it again...no problem. Of course Elvira flipped her wing at me, (which in kite talk is the equilvent of giving me the finger, but she was just joking).

Then I went in the oppisite direction and ZAP..I located the problem again. I was doing everything counter-clockwise, but when I went clockwise I screwed it up again. Apparently, each direction has to be learned for it's own unique self and the two brain cells I have left will have to learn how to circle clockwise too. But, now I know I can do it...just need more practice! Shortly after that the wind died.

Tomorrow I'll try changing speeds too and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!

Keep It Up!

Duane

------------

Oh Yeah...this was strange. I noticed when I was doing the good circles I was "unconsiously", but became conscious of, my lightly clicking my teeth together. It wasn't like a Northwestern Pacific teeth chattering from the cold, it wasn't that fast or hard. I timed it and it was about 4 clicks per second and it seemed to give a rhythm to my imputs and hand movement. For whatever that might be worth!?!?...I figure I'll just let it happen if it helps me fly. (I won't bother asking if anyone clicks their teeth as a cadence to fly to!) :)