KiteLife Forum

Lazer Pro Line

I bought some Lazer Pro Gold Quad line sets and they arrived the other day. I figured I just check them to insure they've been streached (creep). :kid_loved:

I took the 120' x 90# out and hooked one end to a pole and walked off with the other. They had a black and white sleeving on each set and seemed to be the same length when I got to the end. Before streacking it I thought I make sure their weren't any twists in the line so I started walking the lines. The white sleeved lines were smooth, but the two black lines were really twisted up. I walked the lines a bunch of times to get all the twists out of it and when I was finished the black sleeved lines were several inches longer then the white ones. It took 4 knots (2 at each end) in the black sleeves to bring them to the same length as the white ones before I streached them...they weren't streached either. :)

Then I figured I better check out the other two sets. The 100' x 90# had one red sleeve, one black sleeve and two white sleeves (one with a red dot on it) and three of the lines were twisted. I took a red and black permenate marker to the two white sleeves and untwisted the lines, which required a knot in 3 of the 4 lines to get them to the same length before streaching.

The 80' x 90# when untwisted required 1 knot, but the sleeve colors were good.

I was surprised that at the cost of the Lazer Pro Gold line that they would be so sloppy making the sets up...nothing that couldn't be fixed, but..... Has anyone else experienced these problems with "LPG" new line sets? :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane,

The first line set I bought was an 80 foot set of LPG 90#. The actual length was 79 feet. So, they cut the line at 80 feet and made a line set. Don't know if it was pre-stretched or not ... I was a little lacking in knowledge at that time. After that experience, I learned to make my own line sets. If you can tie your shoes, then you can make line sets.

I later bought an 85 foot line set made with Shanti. The owner of Shanti made me a great deal to get me to try his line. Who ever made the line set used two different thicknesses of sleeving. That makes it extremely difficult to even out the lines. I untie, even out and then retie the lines to get them equal.

I've sworn off buying line sets. I make all of my own and have no one else to blame for any problems. Shanti sells some great sleeving ... Kent has some in stock. It's white, white w/ a green tracer and white with a black tracer. A couple of 100 foot rolls will cost you about $25. I use white on the top lines and white with a green tracer on the bottom lines. You can even re-sleeve the lines you've bought so that all line sets have the same color combo. It takes about 5 foot of each color, so you're set for 20 different line sets ... almost a lifetime supply.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Utt-OO...I didn't mesure the actual lengths...I'll have to check that tomorrow! :cat_lol:

I started making my own line sets awhile back, because I have the time, enjoy doing it, it's cheaper, easy to do after you learn how and they're perfectly made!! :kid_loved::)

But, I couldn't find any Lazer Pro Gold in bulk. Maybe, I just didn't know where to look?!?! Too late now, but if I need more some day, do you know where I can get Bulk LPG? :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi Tom,

Utt-OO...I didn't mesure the actual lengths...I'll have to check that tomorrow! :cat_lol:

I started making my own line sets awhile back, because I have the time, enjoy doing it, it's cheaper, easy to do after you learn how and they're perfectly made!! :kid_loved::)

But, I couldn't find any Lazer Pro Gold in bulk. Maybe, I just didn't know where to look?!?! Too late now, but if I need more some day, do you know where I can get Bulk LPG? :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Sure! These are shops that I've dealt with that carry LPG ... I'm sure there are others: Kent at A Wind of Change; Lyn and Rich at Midwest Kites; Dave at The Kite Connection.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I was wrong again, as usual!! Yes...they do have bulk LPG and I did know it! (Imagine what my wife has to put up with, maybe I shouldn't sell her on EBAY...I might need her!!) :)

Yeah...now it's all coming back to me. The bulk LPG in 90# was priced around $260 to $270 for 1000'. But, I wanted 3 quad line sets in the stuff...a 120', 100' and 80', which comes up to 1200'. And I got all 3 pre-made (almost) for $186, with AKA discount ;)

OK...OK...now I'm feeling much better about having to do a little work on them! :kid_loved:

Thanks for jarring my memory! You know...I'd be in deep trouble if I had to think to fly a kite!! :cat_lol:

Keep It Up!

Duane

A friend of mine just mentioned to me that I may have mistaken the price of $269 per 1000 yards for 1000 FEET!

OK...that has really made my mind up for me! I've decided not to sell my wife on EBAY!

I should go back and "delete" this whole topic, but I feel the TISKC "group fly" people should probably be warned as to what kind of NUT will be joining them next year! AND...I'll be flying on 1000 yards of 90# LPG!! :kid_loved:

Keep It Up!

Duane

(but then, kite lines are always in "feet"...why would they start talking in "yards"...heehee!!)

OK...that has really made my mind up for me! I've decided not to sell my wife on EBAY!

Good decision Duane ...

One of the kite shops sells cut 90# LPG for $0.95 per 10 foot length. That would make the cost of your 1200 feet of line about $114 ...

Again, keeping the wife seems like a good decision!!!

Cheers and good night,

Tom

Good decision Duane ...

One of the kite shops sells cut 90# LPG for $0.95 per 10 foot length. That would make the cost of your 1200 feet of line about $114 ...

Again, keeping the wife seems like a good decision!!!

Cheers and good night,

Tom

Hell...Tom!!!

That's just plain silly...

...what are you ever going to do with 10 feet of line?!?! :kid_loved:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Buy 4 lengths and make a short line set up.

Easy answer, do I get a prize?

Yes!!! You are the winner and receive "FREE!!" (4) 10' lengths of LPG to make your own line set with!! :kid_loved:;):)

[just send the equilivent of fifty US dollars (in you funny "L" money) to cover shipping and handling!] :cat_lol:

Keep It Up!

Duane

<snip>

It took 4 knots (2 at each end) in the black sleeves to bring them to the same length as the white ones before I streached them...they weren't streached either. :)

<snip>

Keep It Up!

Duane

Just a quick note. I always untie and retie when adjusting lines. That keeps the ends a bit neater, and the loops equal. Most line sets I've bought (mostly coming with a kite), and all that I make, the end of the spectra is melted to form a little ball just protruding from the sleeving. Easy to pull the lines up equal that way, retie the knots, clip off the excess, and remelt the new end.

Maybe I'm just more compulsive. :cat_lol:

BTW, as I understand it, somewhere during the process of sealing line sets, the Above It All kite shop in Long Beach burned down :kid_loved: - so be careful, or at least not as careless as one former-employee.

(Correction, they did not burn "down", but burned out last year. They are now back in the refurbished store.)

<snip>

It took 4 knots (2 at each end) in the black sleeves to bring them to the same length as the white ones before I streached them...they weren't streached either. :w00t:

<snip>

Keep It Up!

Duane

Just a quick note. I always untie and retie when adjusting lines. That keeps the ends a bit neater, and the loops equal. Most line sets I've bought (mostly coming with a kite), and all that I make, the end of the spectra is melted to form a little ball just protruding from the sleeving. Easy to pull the lines up equal that way, retie the knots, clip off the excess, and remelt the new end.

Maybe I'm just more compulsive. ;)

BTW, as I understand it, somewhere during the process of sealing line sets, the Above It All kite shop in Long Beach burned down :kid_loved: - so be careful, or at least not as careless as one former-employee.

(Correction, they did not burn "down", but burned out last year. They are now back in the refurbished store.)

Hi Howard,

That's funny...I looked at the knots that were already there and thought...tying 4 more knots in each leader is a lot simpler that "untying" and "adjusting" things "right"...and I bought off on the "easier softer way". But come this summer....when I'm hiding from the heat...and you are "flying high"...I'm going to do that!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 2 weeks later...

To the best of my knowledge, LaserPro does NOT provide tied line sets any longer...

Any discrepancies you may run into would come down to the store or distributor that tied them.

One other shop who specializes in both spools and tied line sets that I didn't see mentioned is The Kite Shoppe. :kid_loved:

To the best of my knowledge, LaserPro does NOT provide tied line sets any longer...

Any discrepancies you may run into would come down to the store or distributor that tied them.

One other shop who specializes in both spools and tied line sets that I didn't see mentioned is The Kite Shoppe. :kid_loved:

Yes, it all comes down to the person that tied them. All of the line sets that I have I either made myself, or were made by Theresa at The Kite Shoppe.

Thanks Watty,

Yeah...the best kite shops I've dealt with so far are:

The Kite Shoppe, A Wind of Change, The Kite Connection, Wind Power Sport, Midwest Kites, and The Great Canadian Kite Company>>(A great kite shop, but not advertizing presently with Kitelife).

There might be other great shops out there too that I haven't worked with yet, but all these are really great and have gone out of their way to insure everything I need is there (and they have all taken the time to help me understand what I'm doing and what I need---like no stupid questions, sort of thing).

---------

And for any newbies out there...one of the best things I ever did (without being aware of it at the time) was I joined the AKA (American Kitefliers Association) because all of these shops give a discount to AKA members...which saved me a hell of a lot more money then the membership dues!! :ani_yahoo:

Keep It Up!

Duane