KiteLife Forum

Angry People!!

Guru4tru

Hi Fellow Kiters,

As a relative newcomer to Kiting and active in forums, I have received enough personal e-mails, from concerned people, warning me about the “downside” of kiting, as if to protect me from the “bad guys”, that I thought I say a word on the subject. [Note: the word “guys” refers to both sexes as defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.]

First off let me mention that I haven’t met a single person in “kiting” yet, that I didn’t like and respect and that I didn’t think the feeling was mutual, even though in comparison I am a relitive newcomer to the sport. So then, I really don’t know what they are talking about. But then my experience has been very limited, in kiting, to the AKA forum, the Kitelife forum and the TISKC (Treasure Island Sports Kite Competition) which I recently attended. But, I’m sure there are some “bad actors” in kiting, just as in anything else, although I just haven’t run across any of them in the places I’ve been.

But I know, ”Kiting” doesn’t make “angry people”, but there are probably some “angry people” that fly kites. Just as in any other art form that requires self discipline, perseverance and skill. Like as in the martial arts…The martial arts does not make people “angry” fighters. On the contrary, a black belt (those that are really accomplished in their art) is usually wrapped around a peaceful loving person, who rarely ever has, or wants, to fight! And when they have to fight, ”anger” never takes part in anything that is going down.

Any person that has “anger” when kiting, whether in a “group fly” or in “competition” or within the “politics” that sometimes occurs with groups, brought that “anger” to the table on their own, ”Kiting” Does Not make “angry people”!

So, how should an “angry person” be dealt with, becomes the question. The saying that, “One bad apple spoils the whole bunch” is true when it comes to apples, but we aren’t apples…we are people, ”people” who this “kiting thing” is really important to and we are “people” that don’t want to throw any other “people”, or bad apples, away!

The answer is very simple…”Anger” is simply “FEAR”! If someone is “angry”…find out what they are “afraid” of and take that “fear” away from them!! This is the responsibility of anyone that loves kiting to all other kiters, no matter what their actions are!

----------------

And what gives me the right to even speak on this subject when I am fairly new to Kiting? Simply put “I Love Kiting and I Love People” and “fear” isn’t going to part of my world!

And for the “angry people” who may take offence to what I have just said and may challenge my right to say it (as a newbie, so to speak) let me mention that, I was a machine gunner in Vietnam, but I never fired a shot in “anger”, only out of duty and honor to my country. And now 35, or so, years later I have the same values as I did back then and no one is going to be “angry” around me without my trying to help to take that “fear” away from them!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• Like 1

Hi Fellow Kiters,

<snip>

The answer is very simple…”Anger” is simply “FEAR”! If someone is “angry”…find out what they are “afraid” of and take that “fear” away from them!! This is the responsibility of anyone that loves kiting to all other kiters, no matter what their actions are!

<snip>

And for the “angry people” who may take offence to what I have just said and may challenge my right to say it (as a newbie, so to speak) let me mention that, I was a machine gunner in Vietnam, but I never fired a shot in “anger”, only out of duty and honor to my country. And now 35, or so, years later I have the same values as I did back then and no one is going to be “angry” around me without my trying to help to take that “fear” away from them!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Well said, Duane, well said. :w00t:;)

However, the truth-full link between fear and anger will challenge some people's political views if fully understood.

So, let the rest of us try to keep this personal and not political. :doh:

I have not received such warnings myself, although I have stepped over the boundaries a few times on these (Kitelife, Revolution) forums.

Still, I have not been messaged or responded to by any "angry" people yet.

(Did I just do another bad thing? - If this post lasts for three days, I guess not.)

Anyway, I have nothing of real value to add to your post, Duane, except "most excellent". :kid_loved:

OK, I have a little more to add.

This is off kite topic, but within the thread.

I have found a lot of useful wisdom in the following theory:

Threat -> Fear -> Anger -> Hatred

The first response to a Threat is Fear - which prepares us for flight or fight.

If fight is chosen (or flight is chosen and later regretted), than fear turns to anger. Anger prepares us to fight.

If the threat is unresolved for some time, than Anger repressed or unfulfilled becomes Hatred.

We are taught to not acknowledge fear within ourselves - hence we often cannot fully identify the real nature of the threat that we perceive. In pseudo-Freudian terms: repressed feelings can become subconscious illness.

As a consequence - "Where the Heck did that outburst come from" is too often a fact of our lives.

The above may not always be true, but it is a useful tool to understand many conflicts at the personal, political, and international levels.

Now, as to who is threatened by Duane's postings, and why... :w00t:

Let's get back to kiting, and forget personal differences. :kid_loved:

Hi Horward,

I guess when a person get over 60 they sometimes become wise! "Youth is wasted on the young!" (I suppose) You know ...I haven't met a stupid kite flyer yet either, although I often do stupid things...heehee!

One addition thing that has helped me out of many a hole, is when I realized that if that fear isn't dealt with, or can't be dealt with, or can't be released somehow...it will turn in on me...that's what "depression" is, in most cases,...fear turned inward.

----------------

This is OFF TOPIC but, like you said back to KITING! :kid_loved:

Keep It Up!

Duane