KiteLife Forum

Free internet telephony

Garuda

Hi all,

Did you hear from Skype? It's a free internet telephony and it works

great!

http://www.skype.com/

Just download it and let's share our user names - and we can talk with no

costs! You only need a headset or a microphone plus speakers.

You can reach me under my user name "teamgaruda".

It is now possible for up to 5 people to conference call with Skype!

I think it's a great opportunity to talk to each other.

Torsten

Skype is a opportunity for a couple or group of kiters to have a telephone conversation about kiting(or other subjects) over the internet.

If you have a flat rate internet connection, you can call all over the world at no extra cost.

Example: I can call from here in Munich. Germany to my brother in San Diego and have a casual conversation for hours at no extra telephone costs. A direct call on a fixed lines would cost me quite a bit!!!

John

Using a broadband connection, is there any of that annoying lag time that I've experienced on other telephony programs?

John,

This part of Skype's faq page may answer your question:

Why is Skype better than Net2Phone, ICQ, AIM, MSN, etc?

Because it works! Most Voice-over-IP applications don’t work from behind firewalls and NAT (Network Address Translation) devices. Nearly all broadband users are behind a NAT or firewall and so they cannot use VoIP applications. Skype is not a typical VoIP application – it’s P2P Telephony! Because of its advanced design, Skype works behind nearly any firewall and NAT!

High Call Completion Rate

No other Internet telephony system has a call completion rate as high as that of Skype.

Superior Sound Quality

Current Voice over IP and chat applications just don’t measure up. Skype has created proprietary software and partnered with the best acoustic scientists in the business to deliver sound quality superior to even your fixed telephone line!

Extremely Easy to Use

Current Voice-over-IP applications are difficult to configure and it seems the provider assumes its users are experts in engineering. With Skype there is no difficult configuration of hardware or software. You shouldn’t have to work to use our software, software should work for you!

Totally Secure Communications

Your calls are encrypted “end-to-end” and are thus totally secure.

Using a broadband connection, is there any of that annoying lag time that I've experienced on other telephony programs?

No lag!!!

John, I've been using Skype to converse daily with my son who lives in Osaka. It's like we're having a conversation in our living room. No lag, no echo, crisp and clear.

I'd given up on other programs, too many problems. Plus they have a reasonable instant messaging program. Works with my Pocket PC too, sort of like having a mobile phone for free. We have wifi all over the building I work in.

and best of all it's free. :)

Jim aka boomertype