KiteLife Forum

An empty space in the sky

hvkmike

I am very saddened to anounce the passing of Canadian kiter Merv Cooper.

Merv travelled to many kite festivals locally & internationally.He was a friendly & generous soul who touched the heart of many.His passing will leave a huge void in the sky & our hearts.

Here is a post from the Toronto Kiteflyers forum with more on this tragedy & info on how anyone can contact Merv's family.

Several emails pasted together below.

Merv Cooper, you were a good friend and you will be missed!

Anyone wanting to send a card of sympathy to Rovena here is the address.

Rovena has said she would love to hear from some of Merv's friends.

Sharing some fond memories of Merv would be much appreciated by Rovena and her son David.

Address:

Rovena Cooper

29 Rollingwood Drive

Willowdale Ontario M2H 2M4

1-416-493-0780

mervc@interlog.com

-Carlos Simoes

Obituary posted on TKF group by Michaela:

COOPER, Mervin L., D.D.S. - Suddenly on Friday, December 24, 2004. Devoted

son of the late Doris and Hy Cooper. Loving husband of Rovena and proud

father of David. Dear brother and brother-in-law of Dr. Perry and Shirley

Cooper, and Tony Schwarz. Survived by nephew Jonathan and nieces Jessica,

Rebecca and Marika. For time and place of service, call Benjamin's Park

Memorial, after 12 noon on Sunday, December 26 at 416-663-9060. Shiva 29

Rolling Wood Dr. after 1 p.m. If desired, memorial donations may be made to

the Mervin L. Cooper Memorial Fund c/o Benjamin's Foundation, 416-780-0324.

Email posted by Mark Groshens:

I think most of us are just finding out today after Merv's sudden passing on Christmas eve and the information was slow getting out with the holidays. I was totally surprised and saddened as I'm sure all of Merv's many friends and kiting companions will be. As a long time friend of Merv's in the Toronto Kite Fliers he was a corner stone of the club and was always available for demonstrations, arranging club activities and I think he might have even competed in a few friendly rokkaku battles over the years ;-)  His line laundry collection was a familiar site at festivals, his friendly approach with children at festivals and his support of all kite fliers will be greatly missed. Merv's membership and influence in the kiting community extended not only amongst all the Ontario clubs but also across Canada, the US and many international organizations.

On behalf of all of Merv's friends in the Wind Climbers Kite Club, and even more as a personal friend we express our sympathy and condolences to Merv's wife Rovena and son David. Merv is leaving a big empty space in the sky but his warmth and friendship will forever live in our hearts.

Miss you Merv...

Mark Groshens

on behalf of the Wind Climbers Kite Club

Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario

Gentle Breezes

Mike

I"m sorry to hear this.  Please tell me this is not "Doc"  Lam's friend. 

BB

Penny

Yes, he is that fella Penny.

Here's an excerpt from Gary Mark's posting on this:

Dr. Mervin L. Cooper,

Merv was a very close personal friend whom I shared many experiences with and I, as many of you who know him, am particularly disheartened by his sudden and unexpected passing. Merv had recently retired from a lengthy practice as a Toronto dentist and had been participating in many more kiting activities, particularly those in the Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) interest. Merv will be known as a cornerstone for many of the events he attended because of his extensive and whimsical kite collection, including his recent acquisitions of show kites. He was an avid Rokkaku competitor and personal benefactor to Lam Hoac, multiple champion kite competitor.

P