KiteLife Forum

Cat's Ducky Assanemometer

Guru4tru

The “Cat’s Ducky Assanemometer” is for very light winds shifting in all directions, (even in a circle today). I used an oak dowel and attached a spike on one end, to stick in the ground, and sanded, slightly sharpened & steel wool-ed the other end, till it shines, and lightly rubbed it with dry soap.

Then I drilled a “one size larger” hole in the bottom of the piece of wood you see on top, about an inch and a quarter deep, and used a thin dowel coming out of the small hole drilled in the side of that. I put a small plastic fin on the other end of the dowel and tied a piece of monofilament to that. Then half way the length of the vertical dowel, I tied the Duck’s Assh Feathers from one of the cat’s toys. :greedy:

To use you just stick the dowel in the ground and place the top on it. In any kind of wind the feathers rise and the horizontal dowel points away from the dowel center toward the center of the wind tunnel and where the kite would do best!

I then wrapped threads around the top of the Ducky’s tail to calibrate the feathers to be between 3 and 3 1/2 mph (checked against my wind meter) when the feathers have risen up to 45 degrees off the vertical.

---------

I used it today---and it was really great!! (I should probably go for a patent on this one!! heehee!!) I was actually keeping my STD Rev. in the sky between 3 & 4 mph wind…OK, so you say, “No big deal…you fly that low all the time!” Well, I don’t and I did today, and OK…it was mostly in vertical hovers, almost flat, or a bunch of frantic turns…but, I was doing it. I just had to keep looking at the Duck’s Assk and move my kite to where it was pointing. And when the feather dipped below 45 degrees, then I knew I was in trouble and started in advance with my frantic turns! The thing actually went in a complete circle once, in stages, and I was right with it…in the air!!

And my cat loves it too (I didn’t tell her yet that it wasn’t a new handle for her Ducky toy!) :)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thats slick.. I like it... but me thinks the cat knows it is a new handle for the cat's toy... and you just have not figured it out yet... but that is the way of cats... :)

Hi Bill,

I've had cats all my life...and from all that experience...You are RIGHT..and..I "KNOW"-their more intellegent that I am, but they let me "pretend" I'm the Top Gun...>>>as I feed them, >>>clean up after them, >>>let them out and in on their command,>>>take care of any problems they might have,>>>and pet and scratch them untill they feel comforted! But the ILLUSION that "I'm the greater of us" is all I have...so don't take that ILLUSION from me!! :P

(and you only probably know that because you're in the same boat!) :greedy:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thats slick.. I like it... but me thinks the cat knows it is a new handle for the cat's toy... and you just have not figured it out yet... but that is the way of cats... :)

Hi Bill,

I've had cats all my life...and from all that experience...You are RIGHT..and..I "KNOW"-their more intellegent that I am, but they let me "pretend" I'm the Top Gun...>>>as I feed them, >>>clean up after them, >>>let them out and in on their command,>>>take care of any problems they might have,>>>and pet and scratch them untill they feel comforted! But the ILLUSION that "I'm the greater of us" is all I have...so don't take that ILLUSION from me!! :P

(and you only probably know that because you're in the same boat!) :greedy:

Keep It Up!

Duane

I think maybe cats secretly rule the world and the whole financial crises is because friskies changed the flavor of there sea food flavored dry food... (hopefully I am wrong :P