KiteLife Forum

Video Tutorials

Went out filming on Thursday and Friday, we probably got enough footage again to do 8-9 more tutorials but intermittently throughout we've got some fairly heavy wind noise on the microphone... Problem is, we don't have professional equipment, just shooting on a little Sony SD780 PowerShot which doesn't have wind protection or an external mic input.

Bottom line, we did HOURS of filming and ended up with nothing usable. ;)

Even if it did have an external input, the wireless mic I've got is piss-poor quality and crackles pretty badly...

I've tried noise reduction in audio software in a number of different ways to no avail... Looks like my best step is to secure another HD camera with external audio input and a directional microphone with a "deadcat" (furry cover) to go over it.

Funds are extremely tight at Kitelife right now, and after being encouraged to do so, I've set up a donation link for anyone who would like to assist us with getting some much needed video equipment for our tutorial filming... Once we've reach our goal of $900, I'll be giving away one brand new Zen Revolution and two Kitelife subscriptions (or renewals) at random to three of the folks who donated. :ani_weightlift:

http://www.learnkite...m/donations.htm

All donations will go towards this equipment, selected with a balance of both budget and performance in mind.

As of this post, we've received a little over $600 in donations (thank you so much)... Very close now, hopefully we'll be back out filming very soon.

You know we'll put it to good use... Already, we have a total of 30 tutorials planned (5 done) with many more still in development.

Eventually, probably later this year, I'll be expanding my tutorials to include dual line topics as well.

I know funds are tight everywhere, such assistance is never expected but always greatly appreciated. :)

Went out filming on Thursday and Friday, we probably got enough footage again to do 8-9 more tutorials but intermittently throughout we've got some fairly heavy wind noise on the microphone... Problem is, we don't have professional equipment, just shooting on a little Sony SD780 PowerShot which doesn't have wind protection or an external mic input.

Bottom line, we did HOURS of filming and ended up with nothing usable. ;)

Even if it did have an external input, the wireless mic I've got is piss-poor quality and crackles pretty badly...

I've tried noise reduction in audio software in a number of different ways to no avail... Looks like my best step is to secure another HD camera with external audio input and a directional microphone with a "deadcat" (furry cover) to go over it.

Funds are extremely tight at Kitelife right now, and after being encouraged to do so, I've set up a donation link for anyone who would like to assist us with getting some much needed video equipment for our tutorial filming... Once we've reach our goal of $900, I'll be giving away one brand new Zen Revolution and two Kitelife subscriptions (or renewals) at random to three of the folks who donated. ;)

http://www.learnkite...m/donations.htm

All donations will go towards this equipment, selected with a balance of both budget and performance in mind.

As of this post, we've received a little over $600 in donations (thank you so much)... Very close now, hopefully we'll be back out filming very soon.

I know funds are tight everywhere, such assistance is never expected but always greatly appreciated. :ani_weightlift:

Hey John, sent you some $$$ for the video equipment.

Now to the video you have recorded -- When I have taken video at the beach I always have wind noise. There is a setting in my camera that says it will minimize the wind but it works poorly. Do you have a way to attach a mic to your Mac & do a voice over to replace the audio currently on your video? It seems it would be very much like adding music behind your kite flying.

Windows Movie Maker lets me turn down the volume on what recorded with the video so I can lay another track with the music I want behind the kite flying.

Good luck with finding a way to use the video you already have. :)

Hey John, sent you some $ for the video equipment.

Thank you Ray, that put us up to the mark we were shooting for...

Orders are in, camera and gear should be here over the next 1-3 weeks (the mic is backordered). ;)

Thanks to all who helped with this! 11 donors stepped up and will be included in the drawing for this new Zen and two KL subs!

Now to the video you have recorded -- When I have taken video at the beach I always have wind noise. There is a setting in my camera that says it will minimize the wind but it works poorly. Do you have a way to attach a mic to your Mac & do a voice over to replace the audio currently on your video? It seems it would be very much like adding music behind your kite flying.

Windows Movie Maker lets me turn down the volume on what recorded with the video so I can lay another track with the music I want behind the kite flying.

Good luck with finding a way to use the video you already have. :ani_weightlift:

You know, I really prefer to have a "real time" feel in the video, without backroom editing... I think there's something to be said for "in the moment" expression and mood.

Those who know me well will also understand that I'm trying to convey a mood, an encouragement, a sound, that can only happen "as it happens" on the field.

I'd considered voiceover, etc, but I think I'd rather go out and really earn the support y'all have shown me by going back out to film everything properly.

So grateful, words never quite reach... :)

So, how about we give some stuff away?? ;)

Even draw between 11 folks, 3 goodies, I'll be back in a moment.

post-1-126807637847_thumb.png

One new "Cool Fade" color Zen, going home with Donna McCown. ;)

Kitelife subscriptions or renewals to both Ray Lee and Dick Wheeler. ;)

Thank you so much folks. :)

My Congrats to you three!! Especially, Donna!! And also to you too John...that came through really well. I'm looking forward to more tutorials! This will probably be the best teaching site there is, along with everything else it is best at! :ani_weightlift::)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Donna wrote me back and described herself doing the "happy dance" at work, with her colleagues looking on in dismay. :ani_weightlift:

ROFL!!!

Too cool. :)

We'll keep turning it out here, anything we can do to help fliers along and spread the fun!!!! <grin>

Thanks again everyone!

I couldn't type enough back to John in the middle of the depo. Picture this. I'm a court reporter, and we're in the middle of a depo. The attorneys go off the record and get into a deep discussion. Court reporter is bored, so she checks her e-mail on her phone. There's a note from Kitelife saying "Congrats." What did I do??? Oh, wait a minute. I think there was a drawing with the donations :-) Of course, this time I didn't even pay attention to that because I never win anything. Could it be???? Attorneys still talking. I click the link to the forum. I WON a ZEN!!!! OMG!!!!! I can't believe it. I'm trying not to scream or jump, but I'm doing my happy dance in my chair. Attorneys still talking, so I quickly drop a note to John telling him how excited I am. Then the magic words from the attorneys come "Back on the Record."

What a day!!! Made my day. It's a great slightly early birthday present too. Only problem is that we just hit the WINDY season here. Ugh!! Instead of what most kiters do in waiting for wind, I'll be waiting on No wind LOL

Thanks so much. I can't wait to get it. But also, I am really thrilled that John is getting his video camera to continue with the tutorials. I think that's the greatest idea ever. I've already been sharing the link with all our Rev flyers down here. It is something that all flyers will be able to use time and time again.

Thanks for putting those together, John and TK!!!

Donna

Donna- congrats! That's so awesome!!! Eliot Shook brought his Zen to Austin last weekend... I put it together but didn't fly it (thought the winds might have been a little strong for it... then the winds died down a bit but by that time we were packing up to head home). I'm jealous! But happier for you!

Man, I wish I would have seen this a few days ago, had money to donate and everything! Oh well.

Yeah, John, you're going about this the right way. Get a good audio recording on the field- it's hard to make bad audio sound good (you can to an extent, but like cooking- best results come from the best ingredients, all other things being equal).

Overdubbing the audio is easy to say, hard to do if you're not working from a script and have everything timed. Sometimes there's a feel, a spontaneity that you can't get in post production (like you said). And it does take out a couple of steps... writing a script, overdubbing the audio 'X' amount of times because you're having a hard time getting lip synced.

You might want to try a wireless rig and a headset. Expensive though. But one less hand is needed with a good headset that has a good windscreen and a good low frequency cutoff. With a good mic and a wind sock on a pole, you need someone handling that, and someone else with a video camera, and maybe someone with a reflector to get better lighting and get rid of the shadows... turning into quite a production! Whenever I'm shooting video and I need great audio, I never go with the mic on the video camera or even a mic plugged into the cam. I always use a decent mic with a decent preamp, feeding into a small mixer. This gives you a better audio output, and a better headphone driver for monitoring audio.

But that's me getting wrapped up in technical details... it's still the subject of these videos that we're most interested in and most appreciative of. Thanks for your continued work on this!

Missed out on this one too.

Hope you get what you need John.

Well done Donna, I used to go to Court, would have been cool to see you wanting to dance with joy, but having to do it on the inside instead of letting it out. :D

Missed out on this one too.

Hope you get what you need John.

Well done Donna, I used to go to Court, would have been cool to see you wanting to dance with joy, but having to do it on the inside instead of letting it out. :angry:

Yeah...Baloo! I used to go to court too...(but, we won't talk about that! heehee!) :D

Keep It Up!

Duane