KiteLife Forum

Clockwise Down Turn 180'

Guru4tru

OK All you Quad Heads...the more I ;) practice-practice-practice :clap2: the more I respect and tip my hat to any of you that can fly a Rev. well!!

Here's my question: When doing the Dosey-Do and you swap places with the other kite next to you...do you do a tip turn or do you fly out a little first and then circle back in the others place?

I don't usually get frustrated, I figure it will just take time and I keep practicing, but the last few days, or week, I've been trying to get a good "clockwise 180' down turn, (all other directions seem to come out fairly well). Today I practiced that one move for 4 hours and said, "DAMN!!" more then once as the day went on! :kid_cussing: heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Dosey-Do (aka "Matrix"), you fly out a little, then do a slightly wide wingtip pivot turn to swap places. ;)

Even doing benefits, you fly forward about 4"-8" before actually making the swap... This fills the sail, creates stability, and helps ensure kites are out of each others way.

Thank You (again & again) John!!

I should have asked this question last week!! But then, in my life, I usually always have to suffer first before I look for answers! heehee!!

Tomorrow!!!

I will conquer the "Clockwise Downward 180"!! ;)

---------------=========-----------==========----------

Now for the next question...(that I'm half afraid to ask)...

..................."aka Matrix???"....... :confused!: :clap2:

I made copies of all the Rev. stuff that I'm training by---does the AKA have their own routines or do they just have different names for the same routines? And do they do Mega-Flight stuff at their conventions?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thanks again John,

The Clockwise down turn 180’ is starting to come into focus. Another 20 hours on it and I might have some command over it. heehee!

The movements are very slight and the timing has to be pretty close to exact to get it right. At low wind I do well with it, but at higher wind speed things get magnified and everything blows up on me every now and then…but, I’ll get it!!

And the slight movement forward a few inches is a big help! It gets thing started in the right direction and holds the wind in the sail better before the down turn.

:ani_weightlift: practice-practice-practice :ani_weightlift:

Keep It Up!

Duane

"Dosey do" is the same as "matrix"... Same move, just a more common name for it, at least here on the west coast. :ani_weightlift:

Sorry, I didn't phrase my question properly, let me explain myself & re-word it.

I copied all the movements from the Rev. site, to use as field notes for my own personal practice (Copyright 2007, Mike Kory).

Are there any other movements, other then just name changes, that I should know about to be able to fly, with full knowledge of what's goinmg on, in any mainline group fly that I might encounter in the USA?

:confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

180s...

Stable hover facing 12, 1:30, 3, 4:30, 6, 7:30, 9 and 10:30 on the clock... Not necessarily switching between each of them, just owning each angle.

Reverse flight over a distance of 30'-50', particularly coming from the lower right and left corners, backing up into ball formation.

Controlled speed flight in straight lines, figure 8's, etc.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can think of at the moment.

It's fine to post these questions here, but surely you'd get far more responses on the Rev forum?

Not everyone there reads over here on a regular basis.

Hi John,

The movements I was talking about are the: Too The Edge, Pez, Radar, Pinwheel, Ball, Burst, Fly Through Burst, Twister, Dosey-Do, Benefits, Compound Benefits, Short Blender, Blender, Tip Pivots & 1 by 2 by 3.

I assume the leader will call out one of those names and then the flyers will do it when he says "GO!" My question is: Are there any other figures that the leader may call out, other then the above, that I need to be aware of? Like "Foxtrot!" or "Cherry Blossum!"?

--------

And Kitelife is my home...the Rev. site intimidates me! heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi John,

The movements I was talking about are the: Too The Edge, Pez, Radar, Pinwheel, Ball, Burst, Fly Through Burst, Twister, Dosey-Do, Benefits, Compound Benefits, Short Blender, Blender, Tip Pivots & 1 by 2 by 3.

I assume the leader will call out one of those names and then the flyers will do it when he says "GO!" My question is: Are there any other figures that the leader may call out, other then the above, that I need to be aware of? Like "Foxtrot!" or "Cherry Blossum!"?

--------

And Kitelife is my home...the Rev. site intimidates me! heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Ah, you mean maneuvers (i.e. sequences of movements)... Terminology is important, as movements are individual aspects that comprise a maneuver.

Trick with maneuvers, they vary geographically, not only with what maneuvers are being done, but also how they're called.

Really, don't over think this... Just learn what you can from what you have, flying ability is most important, the maneuvers are learned very quickly on the fly if you can control your kite adequately. :ani_weightlift:

Thanks!!

SEE!!.....Now you know why I am here! heehee!!

Not only do you know the answers...you're also able to figure out what the hell the question is too!! sign_kitelife.gif

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane,

This post is not about names of moves and terminology as John has already covered that and yes, he most certainly is the master of phraseolgy when calling. I've followed behind many and they don't come any better.

That said, the key takeaway that John gave you in his post is that these questions could also be more adaquately and thouroughly answered by a wider and more diverse group that has come up learning these moves and the phraseologies over on the Rev forum. The group there, myself included, all started in the same place as you.....a newbie. We don't bite and in fact, we like to "kiss"and "refuel" and "wrap" in mass quantities!!!! There isn't a single one person that I've met along the way that won't immediately stop flying to help someone out and put their kite in that person's hands in an effort to get that person up and flying sooner. Gods honest truth. I can name names of people who you can ask who have had the same trepidations as you and are now part of the bigger fold. For that matter, I could name those people over there that you could absolutely expect a response from with in the first 15 minutes of your asking.

You offer tremendous insight into the learning process as you document all your trials, successes and failures along the way. Others there do that as well. I assure you, we've all been there. Get on over to the Rev forum and start asking your questions there; I think you'll be surprised with the responses and the quantity of them that you receive. I for one will surely welcome you with open arms and 15 inch handles, as will others.

If nothing else, we serve milk and cookies and aha moments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again John,

The Clockwise down turn 180’ is starting to come into focus. Another 20 hours on it and I might have some command over it. heehee!

The movements are very slight and the timing has to be pretty close to exact to get it right. At low wind I do well with it, but at higher wind speed things get magnified and everything blows up on me every now and then…but, I’ll get it!!

And the slight movement forward a few inches is a big help! It gets thing started in the right direction and holds the wind in the sail better before the down turn.

:kid_devlish: practice-practice-practice :devil:

Keep It Up!

Duane

I have found the more vents (none ... mid ... full) in the sail, the better the kite handles during turns in high winds. I have a problem with the kite wanting to spiral inward (radius of turn lessens) during a turn if the wind is higher. Even within the comfort zone of each kite, I prefer a full vent in high wind over a full sail in moderate wind. - I think. I'm still gathering impressions and only have about 2 hours on my B full vent, and maybe 5 on my B full sail. My SLE mid-vent pretty much falls between those two extremes, and is the only quad kite I have with significant air-time.