KiteLife Forum

Mega-Flight..."Wipe-Outs"

Guru4tru

Striving for Perfection is what I feel Rev. Flying is all about for me, and most others Im sure, but it has a down side!

As I :ani_weightlift: practicepracticepractice :ani_weightlift: each day, I found a fear lurking under the surface, that was growing...the fear of failure! What if I screw things up and bring everything to the ground? Some fear is good, keeps one on their toes, but an overwhelming fear or panic isnt good for anything but destruction.

In front of a camera, everyone looks good! Just point a camera at someone and whether they are sad, angry or depressed...they will smile. No one wants to be caught in a picture, forever, looking bad. I figured what videos are shown of Mega-Flights, probably fit into that "only good" stuff catagory too...or...maybe, no one actually ever screws-up!! And as I was reviewing the videos of some of the Mega-Flights everything looked so good---a few wobbles here and there and some temporary losses of balance, but for the most part...pretty flawless, at least no major Wipe-Outs! This only elevated my fears to the point of thinking, now and then, Maybe, I shouldnt do a Mega-Flight. :confused!:

But then I ran across the first video at the bottom of this post, that I missed somehow, http://www.revkites....wsikf-aug-16-22 As I watched it and things start to go-down I yellowed out loud, OH NO! (My wife yelled back, "What's Wrong!...heehee!) But, then I felt a sense of relief come over me. No matter how bad things get, I wouldnt be the First Ever to screw-up!

Sure, I still have some fear...thats good, but after seeing this wipe-out...my fear is now in a better perspective! It wouldnt be the end of life as we know it, if I screw-up, although it might take some time to live down...heehee! :crazy::)

Does anyone know of any other Mega-Flight Wipe-Outs that are caught of video? (And if so, give me the names of those that screwed-up!--just kidding!! heehee!) ;)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane, Much like your pictures comparison, no one wants to put a video up of a fly gone wrong but your thinking there is only correct when it comes to individual videos...imho. Group fly dynamics are such that there is usually a wide diversity in the experience level of the pilots. That is always taken into account at the start and as I said in a different post, there isn't a single person that started any differently then you.

There are plenty of video examplesand pictures too, over in the rev forum of flys gone awry. They are an interesting study in my opinion because it gives a perspective of where things start to go wrong and lends to ideas on how to improve them overall. As for pictures.....there are plenty of them showing the after effects and work that goes into untangling. Check out the pics from Wildwood last year for example.

Also, there is a young gentleman over on the rev forum as we speak, experiencing the same trepidations of flying on line, small group or otherwise. Sharing and talking it out could help. In addition, I fly now with a guy, 62 year old ex marine who's fear of group flying has totally washed away and has been replaced with the grin and laugh of a little kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again I say.......jump on over to the rev forum and express yourself there; you'll find it quite comfortable and beneficial!

• Like 1