KiteLife Forum

First low wind kite recommendations

BPAndy

Hi All,

I'm looking for my first light wind kite and I'd like some opinions. This is my starting point... So far I only have a NT Detonator and I'm not tricking, just flying. I'd like something that I can fly when this won't. I still crash from time to time and would like something that can break down smaller for easier transport. Basically I'd like to be able to fly in as little wind as possible without running around.

Any recommendations on a nice relaxing low/almost no wind flier would be appreciated. oh... I'd like to stay around $100 or less

Thanks

Andy

Well, I had a couple of great suggestions until your last bit about 100.00 or less....

The only options that I can think of for a dual line light wind kite under $100.00 would be the Prism 3D and the new Prism 4D. The new Prism 4D sells for $95.00 and comes in a great little case that includes flying line and a space for another lineset. The kite flies awesome and is another testament to Prism's continuing leadership in the dual line kite market. It comes in a variety of colors and packs down very small which is nicer than the 3D that it replaced. We have all colors in stock. For more info and pictures of the 4D, you can click the link below.

Purchase the 4D here

The Prism 3D is also a great kite but not quite as good as the all new 4D that replaces it. There are still some 3D's left in stock around the globe but they are getting more scarce as time goes on. The 3D doesn't break down as small as the new 4D so carrying it around is a little more difficult, especially if you are wanting to take it on a vacation or when you travel. Still, it is smaller than most dual line kites when they are at their full length while stored. The 3D sells for $89.00 but you can probably find some closeout deals around for a little less as the 3D has been discontinued and is no longer being produced. For more info and pictures of the 3D, you can click the link below.

Purchase the 3D here

Another option would be moving to the single line Wala from Flying Wings (formerly called the Aerobe). We have been playing with this kite for the last few months now and it really is a blast to fly in zero winds and can also be flown in winds up to 15-20 mph. Zero and Light wind flying is fun, especially when nothing else will go up. The Wala retails around $60.00 and comes ready to fly including line. We have most colors in stock as well. For more info and pics of the Wala, you can click the link below.

Purchase the Wala Here

If you were not going to limit your selection to under 100.00, there is quite a few more options for you. The Shadow from HQ is a great kite in winds from 2-3 to 8mph and can trick pretty good starting around 3mph. The Shadow retails for $180.00 - lines not included. We have the Shadow in stock but I don't yet have a link for it - sorry.

The kite that I have been spending all of my light wind flying on is the Widow Maker UL. This kite is absolutely amazing, even though it only listed as a UL, you can remove the tail weight (and the upper spreader if needed) and it will fly in nearly zero winds. The wonderful thing about this kite is that it will do nearly all the tricks in as little as 1 mph with the tail weight and US in. I can fly the Widow Maker UL in winds that are difficult for most SUL's to fly in. The WM UL retails for $325.00 - lines not included. We have the Widow Maker UL in stock as well.

Purchase the Widow Maker UL Here

There may also be other options as well but these are the ones that I have the most experience with right now. Hope that helps.

The 3D and 4D are great kites and work well for light winds. They are somewhat limited on the tricks they can do but they do fly very well and are awesome kites for indoor use. The Wala is super fun as well. Not a dual line but still fun to play with when nothing else will go up. You do have a couple options under the $100.00 but they are somewhat limited to what else is out there.

The 3D and 4D are great kites and work well for light winds. They are somewhat limited on the tricks they can do but they do fly very well and are awesome kites for indoor use. The Wala is super fun as well. Not a dual line but still fun to play with when nothing else will go up. You do have a couple options under the $100.00 but they are somewhat limited to what else is out there.

Don't get me wrong. I meant the pipe dream part about this part "Well, I had a couple of great suggestions until your last bit about 100.00 or less...." The 4D definitely looks good. Seems to have everything I was looking for.

Thanks Again, Hopefully I can get an order in soon!

-Andy

• 3 months later...

Thanks WOC! got my 4D early last week and finally got it out Saturday and It was awesome. ;) Went out to Brenton Point Park in Newport RI and the wind was not coming in on a good angle. Only one corner of the park was really going (and slightly crowded) so I went over to the main field and like I suspected, with the wind coming from the land, the trees behind the field really knocked the wind down. Another sporter was trying to fly and not having a lot of luck. Just putting the kite together, I noticed that it didn't want to stay on the ground. Just a little twitch with my fingers and it was up. To my joy it stayed up unless I wanted it down (or I crashed... unfortunately it did once or twice BUT it held up well).

Thanks again for your help WOC and thanks for a nice smooth transaction with the kite. I will easily recommend you guys to friends.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

Please, I red that the wind range (Prism 4d) is 0 to 15 mph.

What about it fly near to 15 mph?

What about the frame?

Anybody could flew it at that wind conditions?

Expecting for recommendations,

Thank you!

If it got that windy, I'd be looking to change kites!!! I have a 3-D, tough little bugger, but I don't think I'd want to fly it in that high a wind!! kid_devlish.gif

The kite can just barely handle 15 mph, but you will need to keep it on the very edge of the window and be very careful with it. I don't recommend putting it up in anything over 5-7 mph personally. If the winds are above 4-5, I will be flying something else. Flying the 4D in anything over 10 mph would put extreme stress on the frame and sail and could stretch it out which would hinder it's overall performance in the light winds.

Handling 15 mph just simply means it can fly in that without exploding. That could also mean that at 15.5 mph the kite could explode. Staying in the air, parked scared on the edge of the window in 15 mph is not the same as flying the kite back and forth and doing some tricks.

I've got several Prism kites, Ozone, Alien, and 3-D, and so far the wind ranges seem to be accurate! Myself, I feel a bit more comfortable with a kite that pulls a little less, more at the lower end of it's target range than the upper end!! But that's my opinion and what I like, you may have other ideas!!

PS: I've had a stroke that compromised my balance, so I stay away from "the pull"!!! smile.gif That's why I choose to go to another kite, if it just flies, it's good to go!!!wink.gif

I think it would be silly to try and fly the 4D in winds over 5mph. It starts to get too fast for any tricks at 3mph. As was mentioned above, the kite may not explode at 10mph, but it wouldn't be any fun.

~Rob.

I got a 4d and a nexus and with the westerly winds in Brisbane this time of year it gust for a minute than dies for five minute. The Nexus would fly great for the minute but than I would run out park trying to keep it up.

The 4D was a great buy. On these day I just park it at the edge during the gust and than have fun the rest of the time. I'm not good at tricks yet but I can see with a better pilot they would get it moving.

I have tried it once in doors and want more.

It so compact I keep both in the work van ready for when I have time for a fly.

Mick

• 3 years later...

Agreed! anything over 10mph I would definitely look at packing the 4D away and using a better suited standard kite for the wind conditions.

Kites are designed for various wind conditions for a reason. There is no one kite that can fly in all wind conditions. If you're serious about flying and want to be able to fly in any and all wind conditions, you will need at least 3 kites to cover you for that. (UL, Standard and Vented) That been said not all kites are created equal, so finding the 'right kites for you' and your budget will be the challenging part, especially if your budget is on the lower end.

Good Luck! :)