KiteLife Forum

I got to try out a Rev SLE 1.5

Ray

I got to try a Rev 1.5 SLE at Kites Unlimited (409)744-4121 in Galveston TX monday afternoon. It was the first I have seen in person and the first time I have seen one attempted to be flown! :)

The wind was too low to fly at first but as the afternoon progressed it started picking up a little. KU had one Rev in the store and they offered to let me try it out in the light winds which had picked up enough to allow the kite to fly a little. Gunther their employee, took it up first. He told me he could not fly the Rev and had never been able to learn. The wind might have been 5 or 6 mph and I watched the kite fall off left or right a few times and then he offered the handles to me. I was able to get it up in the air and fly it back down to a lower level in reverse and exact one right turn propeller spin and one reverse spin to straighten out the lines before the kite inexplicably fell forward on one side and kind of airplaned down to the ground. Further attempts took more time to reset the kite than flying time achieved and it seemed to just start rolling right or left without apparent input and recovery was not intuitive for me, so I gave the handles back to him and he took it up one more time and did a couple of quick propeller spins before the kite fell off the wind again. Neither of us will win any awards for Rev flying anytime soon but like he said, "If you have time to devote to learning to fly it, I can see where this would be a real cool kite." They offered it to me, ready to fly for $190.00 to make the sale but I realized that I was not quite ready for that kind of flying just yet. It seemed a good deal so I thought I would pass it on if anyone likes. He told me that they would give that deal + shipping costs if anyone wanted it. I think its Teal, White, and Black (can't remember really)and seems to fly fine when you have the handles in the right position! LOL

Maybe when I have some actual two line trick experience or some Rev training from someone who knows what they are doing I will look into the quad line again.

Ray

Got a growing collection of tutorials for Revs here, still adding some of the basics.

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=106

It really is easy, with a little applied knowledge. :)

Well, you make it look incredibly easy, some of your movements are more like some form of Kite martial arts than kite flying.

The winds were incredibly light when I tried it out and that may have made it a little more challenging as well. It is quite a bit to pay attention to when you do not have anyone that can correct your mistakes nearby and when the kite is doing things that you do not even understand the reason for! When are you guys doing another public demo in Texas? LOL

Ray

Hrm, I really need a kung fu emoticon. :)

Alas, we don't have another trip to Texas until our return to SPI next January... Sorry mate.

I will have to arrange a trip down to South Padre next January. I look forward to it. The videos were somewhat informative. I may go ask them for another shot at it. Even with your movements being descreibed, some sort of POV graphic showing the handle movements in real slo mo might help. Do you have any recovery tips when the Rev starts falling forward and planing?

Ray

Ray, do try again in a better wind.

I have found Revs are easy to fly. You get the hang of flying round the Sky pretty quickly.

However maybe they are not so easy to fly well!!

I have been flying both Rev and dualies for a while now. I can fly neither well, however will normaly go for a Rev over a dualie most of the time.

The Rev was a bit more frustrating at first as with dualies you "simply" pull one way or the other, however I now find a Rev easier to fly and recover into the air after a mistake.

The main thing is I have LOADS of fun!!

Do you have any recovery tips when the Rev starts falling forward and planing?

This is a tuning problem, the top lines need to be lengthened by way of a knotted extension on the top of the handles...

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/1205-b-series-handle-tuning/

I hope that helps, the Rev forum is chock-full of great info and friendly folks. :)