KiteLife Forum

Kichi Tako

Mitch

I have one of these interesting kites that I got on a whim. It flies OK outdoors, but it claims to be a zero wing indoor kite as well. Anybody know if you need to change bridle or configuration to work that. Have been having real fun with my Wala (nee Aerobe) but can't see this thing gliding. Am I missing something?

(As an aside, I just learned that I've been mispronouncing "Air-ohb" as "Air-obie". They renamed it the Wala last year and I don't know how to pronounce that either. But wouldn't it be funny if Flying Wings themselves renamed the kite as a misspelling/mispronunciation of Voila'. So nobody knows how to say it!)

I digress. Advice about flying the Kichi Tako as a zero wind kite?

I heard something about using small weights for better gliding, but I'm sorry to say I don't have specifics.

Thanks,

I'll give it a try. There are indoor one liners that have a built in pocket in the nose for weights (the Focus Designs -Skate).

I've revered to flying these gliders outside when the wind fails. Now I would rather try to fly my Zen in zero to minimal wind, but I'm not sure how to set it up. I'm flying outside with the same 0-2 mph you did your (Excellent) Zen dock vid in. I've tried flying on 50 ft lines and end up backing up most of the way from St. Louis to Kansas City, despite my best attempts at gaining ground with down field slow dives and long sweeps across the center of the wind window. So I've come to think of it as the equivalent of indoor flying. (Notwithstanding that you looked like you hardly took a step backward). You used 30' 50# lines in your vid. Were you using the standard handles? I've tried long ones but have more trouble in low wind with over control. Is it your advice that shorter lines might be easier in these minimal wind conditions? Handles? I love the Zen but admit that flying in low and variable wind has been exasperating. I'm looking for any little hint that will help get me going, here.

Thanks

Mitch

I was using standard handles, yes... The long handles aren't necessary, and can cause over-control.

Have you looked at the "Sail Loading" tutorial?

Between that and the Light Wind tutorial, that covers pretty much everything, except what you get from experience and application. :innocent:

The last trick is learning about the momentum and inertia of the kite, avoiding stalls, keeping it all moving, whether it's slow or fast.