KiteLife Forum

Ballistic pheonix 2.2

veedubkid16

My dad got me this kite a few years back. After four or five years of sitting i got it out for the first time. After flying i came home and looked around on the internet to find the identical kit but i can only find the black ones. Does anyone know of a place to buy another blue one or is this some special limited thing. Any help is appreciated

39158_142934469062634_100000382451839_268638_3785986_n.jpg39158_142934455729302_100000382451839_268634_3065830_n.jpg

The Ballistic was produced by New Tech Kites and is a step up from their Thunderfoil series. It was available in quite a few different graphic configurations including the Burner (flames) eclipse (red/black sun thing) Portal (spinning fan graphic) Blue vortex and Red Vortex (both color pattern with black). The Ballistic was an ok foil for people wanting to get dragged around on the beach or park but it really lacked the high end performance of some of the other introductory model kites like the Ozone Flow, HQ Beamer and Peter Lynn Hornet. With the very low aspect ratio of the Ballistic, it had a ton of grunt when centered in the window which would jerk your arms off quite hard but it was very slow and lost most of its power once it got past the center of the window. Because of this it was very hard to use in a buggy or on a board because it would give tons of sideways pull but you couldn't get much acceleration from it. The Ballistic came in several sizes: 2.2 meter, 3.6 meter, 4.9 meter and 6.2 meter. I don't think that all color patterns were available in all sizes though.

I don't think the Ballistic is still in production but if you check around you can still find a couple shops that may carry the older stock. Personally I think you could get one of the other kites that I have listed for just a little bit more than the closeouts on the Ballistics and end up with a kite that flies better and has better performance.

The Ballistic series did have some very nice graphics though and is much more colorful than the other kites I have listed. If you are dead set on getting another one of these, do a google search for New Tech Ballistic kites and you should be able to find a couple shops that may have them.

Hope that helps.

The Ballistic was produced by New Tech Kites and is a step up from their Thunderfoil series. It was available in quite a few different graphic configurations including the Burner (flames) eclipse (red/black sun thing) Portal (spinning fan graphic) Blue vortex and Red Vortex (both color pattern with black). The Ballistic was an ok foil for people wanting to get dragged around on the beach or park but it really lacked the high end performance of some of the other introductory model kites like the Ozone Flow, HQ Beamer and Peter Lynn Hornet. With the very low aspect ratio of the Ballistic, it had a ton of grunt when centered in the window which would jerk your arms off quite hard but it was very slow and lost most of its power once it got past the center of the window. Because of this it was very hard to use in a buggy or on a board because it would give tons of sideways pull but you couldn't get much acceleration from it. The Ballistic came in several sizes: 2.2 meter, 3.6 meter, 4.9 meter and 6.2 meter. I don't think that all color patterns were available in all sizes though.

I don't think the Ballistic is still in production but if you check around you can still find a couple shops that may carry the older stock. Personally I think you could get one of the other kites that I have listed for just a little bit more than the closeouts on the Ballistics and end up with a kite that flies better and has better performance.

The Ballistic series did have some very nice graphics though and is much more colorful than the other kites I have listed. If you are dead set on getting another one of these, do a google search for New Tech Ballistic kites and you should be able to find a couple shops that may have them.

Hope that helps.

Im ordering a peter lynn hornet to get into land boarding. Im 170lbs what would be a good size hornet to get just for cruising down the beach and occasionally going quick. Im not sure like i said i just got back into flying but before i only flew deltas and small foils so i dont know what size would be a good puller to cruise but yet still have good pull.

Kite size depends so much on the wind conditions you will be flying in. In our area the 3.0 meter kites are the most commonly used but areas in the Midwest will generally go larger in the 5 or 6 meter sizes because the winds there aren't nearly as consistent or strong as what we normally have here.

For land boarding you may want to consider getting the Peter Lynn Twister II instead of the Hornet as the Twister II has a bit more lift and will get you going a little easier on the board. I would recommend starting out with the 3.0 meter if your winds are normally 10 to 20 mph when you fly. If the winds are much less say....5-12 mph then you would probably want to start out with the 4.1 meter or the 5.6 meter.

Also, flying on a control bar may be easier for you on the mountain board. The Hornet comes with control handles but the Twister II can be ordered with either handles or a control bar. Also, if you get the control bar you can add a harness later on should you choose to do so.

If your local shop doesn't carry the Twister II's then let me know. We have full stock on all Peter Lynn products.