KiteLife Forum

Biplane Kite Problems

Ribcracker

• 12 years later...
On 8/26/2010 at 9:45 PM, Mitch said:

Bud,

I don't know about biplane kites specifically, but it sounds like a species of foil. In general, when you lift an airfoil off a flat surface by the main flight line, it should make about a 15degree angle up from the table. Then you fiddle by a few degrees at a time from there. You make it sound as though the flight line would be leading the kite by the nose, but I suspect you mean the nose line leads back to meet the two back lines in triange under the kite. Also, heavier kites need more of a lead, that is to say the triangle hangs farther from the lowest point of the kite. What many do when they are experimenting with this sort of thing is they use one line for the back two attachments that are tied into a loop. That back loop can be larks headed behind knots tied at intervals in the forward part of the bridle. So you try it. Not enough lift? Undo the larks head and tie it farther from the front of kite. Longer front bridle line so the kite hangs at a flatter angle from the horizontal. up in the sky with the line below it, the nose points up more. More lift. Hope I'm being clear.

Mitch

Hey Mitch,  i know this is a decade too late,  but the adjustable sliding knot you were looking for is called a Tautline.    the lark's head / prussik is used as a friction knot, true but it has two lines coming out the center.  its meant to grab in either direction on another rope ( climbing )  however the tautline is used to adjust the length of a guy line for tents.  which is exactly what u were looking for.   infinitely adjustable in trying different bridle lengths.  cheers.