KiteLife Forum

Prism JAZZ expectations

Chikokishi

I own a Prism JAZZ (obviously... lol). What kind of tricks can i expect it to perform, and what should i avoid because ill be unable to do them? I dont expect my kite can do many of the flips and such that i see, but id like to have an idea of what i can do so that im not getting frustrated doing tricks i cant perform!

Thanks!

The Prism Jazz is a small kite and very limited on what you can do with it, if you got the skills, the kite can do quite a bit more than you would expect. I watched Mark Reed do some pretty amazing things with it once...but then again he could axle a lawn chair if you hooked lines up to it.

It can perform the basics such as axles, 540's, half axles, cascades, coin toss, flick flacks but roll up tricks will be very difficult. Also, even though the kite "can" perform these tricks, they don't always look that great and it is very hard to get a good consistency with it, especially if you are in varying wind conditions. It really does come down to the pilots skill more than the kite when tricking this little guy.

If you are just learning then it will probably be much more difficult to learn to trick on this kite than it would be on some of the larger wings such as the Quantum, Hypnotist or other 7'+ sized kite.

Hope that helps.

I am sure the bigger kites would be much easier to learn on, I just dont have the money to get one! I managed to do a front flip with it earlier today, i am not sure how though. lol

If $$$ is an issue, you should look into some of the used kites for sale. Half of my kites were purchased used, and I have only gotten a junker once. The rest of the kites that I bought were next to new condition, and half price or less. Once you have the basics down on the Jazz, you need a full sized wing to learn tricks on...

~Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Today i had my first batch of near perfect wind. It was fairly consistent, and it was just over walking speed, so i am estimating about 4 - 6 mph. I have my kite trimmed as far forward as the bridle would allow to get max lift. I started getting better with precision controls, i would lower the kite into a perfect landing when the wind died and such.

This is the interesting thing though, a few of you said that flips would be very difficult with this kite, and doubted if it could do them. In fact, flips are about the only trick i CAN do! I can wind it up 2 and 3 times and float it down to about the ground and roll it out. My axels and such turn more into distressed flat spins towards the ground usually due to the string catching on the wingtip or the nose. the edges of my nose nylon are like hooks, any idea how to smooth these out?

Chikokishi

Nose snag points: Hit 'em (CAREFULLY) with a lighter and smooth them over, or use a hot knife and cut the protrusions off (again - very, very carefully).

The key is not to effect the kite itself, just the odd bits that are sticking out.

As for wing tips, not much to do except practice your moves until you don't catch the wing tips as often.

Have you seen these trick tutorials by Randy Greenway?

http://cid-268807a1b99b3f7c.profile.live.com/Lists/cns!268807A1B99B3F7C!103/

I having difficulty making my Jazz fly. The wind is strong enough to hold flags out straight, but no matter what i do my kite just falls to the ground. Ive trimmed it as far forward as i can, and it still has no lift to stay up. Do i just need stronger winds? Because if i get into stronger winds then my kite darts around like mad and hums and i cant run fast enough to stall it. 

In modorate wind it will fly, but i have very little control of it because if i try to turn itll start to fall.<br>What am i doing wrong?? =(

If you keep pulling the nose in, sure, it increases angular lift... But, it also reduces the actual pressure in the sail, making the kite feel really light (slight pull) and sluggish on the lines (wide spins and turns).

Assuming you have (flag supporting) wind - let the nose back out (downward adjustment on bridle) a very small amount, increasing until you feel pressure and drive again... If you can't launch or the kite doesn't move forward, you've gone too far.

There is a fine balance between nose in ("lift"/less responsive/float) and nose back (pressure/quicker response/stall) settings, just experiment, and be sure your settings are the same on both R/L sides.

From the A Wind of Change website:

Generally, if you find you have to constantly pump your kite to get it to raise in light wind and the kite acts like it wants to flip on it's back all the time, the kite is stalling to easily and the nose of the kite needs to be adjusted towards you.

If you find the kite has way too much pull in the higher winds, adjust the nose of the kite towards you to spill more air off of the bottom of the kite and lessen the strain on the sail and frame.

If you cannot stall the kite and no matter what you do the kite continues to fly forwards, adjust the nose of the kite away from you to allow it to stall easier.

If you find the kite is flying too fast and you cannot control the kite, adjust the nose of the kite away from to slow the kite down and spill some of the air over the top of the kite.

If the kite continues to fall forward and you lose all control because the kite is floating like a piece of paper, adjust the nose of the kite away from you to keep more wind in the sail and make the kite feel more solid.

Reference - http://www.awindofch.../lesson2-4.html

Hope that helps, keep us posted! :kid_smartass:

• Like 1

Thank you so much, maybe thats it. I have it adjusted so far forward that the wind is just going under it? Ill take it back to factory settings next time i fly. My biggest problem is still that i cant find consistant wind. Itll be Really strong for 5 minutes, then dead for 5 minutes. Still searching for a better area.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...