KiteLife Forum

Thanks!! Err, I think...

Tim P.

New subscriber here, just wanted to drop a note and thank John and all the others here at Kitelife, along with all of you contributors on the forums. Well, I THINK I want to thank you, although I know you're all going to cost me a lot of money. ;)

Back in the summer of 1986, I started working with Kitty Hawk Kites in Nag's Head, NC, where they trained me to be their resident kite flyer. Every morning I would set up a kite display over on Jockey's Ridge (back when they were allowed to do that) and then spend the rest of my day flying stunt kites on the dunes or helping others out who might need some pointers on how to fly their new purchase. I'd spend hours flying stacks of Peter Powell's with the long tube tails, Hawaiian's, or stacks of Flexi-foils', sand skiing along the dunes. The best job in the world, getting paid to fly kites all summer long! But finally the summer season ended and I was let go, I had to go back to a mundane existence once again. It would be years before I flew a kite again but I'd think back on those days every once in a while and wish I could have that same feeling of sun on my face and not a care in the world, just riding the wind.

Flash forward 20-some years, I found myself back in Kitty Hawk Kites again (along with my grown son) and we're checking out the stunt kites section... WOW, things have changed! Couldn't find a Peter Powell anywhere! Or a Hawaiian for that matter! Lots of kites shaped similar to a Hawaiian, but what are these "stand-offs"? And what the hell is that bowtie looking thing? FOUR lines to fly it?!!? Anyway, I say the heck with it and buy a kite, a French Kiss by New Tech Kites. Take it back to the beach and lo and behold, I still remember how to fly! I'm kinda rusty, but I can keep it in the air! After about a half an hour it's like I never stopped flying, I'm back to doing loops and powerdives and patterns like back in the old days. WOOHOO! Having a blast!

Flash forward a couple more years, to now. I don't remember now what it is I was looking for, but while stumbling around the internet I came across a video called "River Play" or some such, of this guy named John Barresi flying one of those strange bowtie shaped four line kites, flying along some shoreline. Oh. My. God. I don't know how the heck he's doing that, but I gotta learn it! I must have watched that video 3 or 4 times in a row, staring slack-jawed in amazement. And of course I started searching for more videos like that, which then lead me the Revolution site, and eventually to here. And here it seems the sun broke through the clouds and I heard the choir for the ages....look at all the stuff here THAT I DON'T KNOW!! Heck, I thought I knew a little something about dual line kites, but what the heck are these slack line tricks? Those things are twitching around like they're having a seizure! Sheesh, I'm so outta date, I got so much to learn!!

So, in the last few weeks, all of you folks have been like the dealers and I'm a junkie, I'm obsessed with trying to absorb all this "new" stuff. I'm spending hours now trying to track the meanings and how-to's of various tricks and kite lore, and can't wait for decent weather and some time off where I can get out there and try some of this stuff out. And although it intimidates this ol' 2 line flyer a bit, I'm going to go get me a Revolution kite in a few days, I've GOT to try one out!!

So THANKS!! You've all helped to contribute to what is obviously going to be an obsession, 24+ years in the making. I'll be sure when the wife hits the roof in another week or so after I've dropped a few hundred bucks on these "toys" to point her in this direction!