KiteLife Forum

Zen

badinfluence

I know the following post was from over a year ago when the Zen was just coming out. . Can anyone share thoughts on the Zen model now a year later? Is it still the best kite for light wind flying outdoors? 0 to 8 mph winds?? Not really concerned with how many tricks it can or cannot do. I am more interested on the ease and the aid of light wind flying and how this kite helps with that. Thanks??

I had the opportunity to fly a Zen along side of I-Quad at the Antelope Island festival a month or so ago. I-Quad was using their SUL's, I was on the Zen. The winds were exceptionally light, maybe 2-3ish. We were flying patterns, just follow the leader stuff, I was lucky enough to be the leader.

I just want to make sure that it is well known that my skills are nowhere near that of I-Quad and I am astonished and amazed every time I get to see them fly as a team and even more amazed watching them fly solo.

As said, follow the leader was going great and we were having a blast. The wind died off to maybe 1ish and the whole I-Quad team started backing up and somewhat laughing as the wind died. The Zen turned back up and headed to zenith as the rest of I-Quad turned upwards and then dropped to the ground. I was pleased to hear John B. mutter "You can't beat that Zen" and for once I felt as if I out-flew I-Quad. (Ok, it was the kite not the pilot but I will take this one as a victory for myself). LOL

We had a great time but (IMO) for light winds outdoors, the Zen is still king - even when compared to the awesome talent of the best pilots on the planet.

Hope this helps.

Wow, you cant have a much better opinion than that.

So you actually out flew the whole of iQuad. RESPECT :kid_devlish:

I hope to get a couple of Hours or so in tomorrow, just hope the winds are light enought to fly my Zen again. I used to sit miserably looking out of the window on light wind Days as my flying skills are not too good.

Now I look forward to light winds. The Zen is SO much fun. I have always liked flying on short-ish lines. For instance a Sedgwick on 50ft lines, however the Zen seems to fly best on longer lines (IMHO)

Just to clarify, I didn't out-fly I-Quad (other than in my mind). The ZEN out flew the 1.5 sul's that I-Quad was using. I was just happy they too weren't on Zen's or it would have been a totally different story for sure. lol

The Zen has incredible light wind performance and is everything it has been hyped up to be. It does take a small time to get use to the way it performs and it is bigger in size than the 1.5's so response is different as well but once you get the kite dialed in then you will absolutely love it. It turns days where you would normally be sitting and cussing the lightest of wind into days of fun and flight!

thanks again for all the great responses and a special thanks to J.B. for answering my post and for making all the great tutorial videos. I am buying a Zen as soon as I find any dealer with the best price or better yet if i can find a custom made limited editiion Zen floating around on the forums.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Havent chimed in in a while..Sorta got into the power kiting thing and the winter weather has been bad but I finally got to fly my new Zen for a few minutes. I was standing in the middle of a terrible swirly low wind field and simply struggled to get anything to fly for more than a few minutes but had to fly. Was getting muddy and frustrated, but having a great time. So I pulled out the new Zen and was amazed that this kite basically launches itself in the most horrible wind conditions and just wanted to fly itself. Absolutly the best purchase any Rev flyer can make if the are in rough wind or light to no wind situations. The launch is incredible with the flex of the rods and the construction is the absoulute best. Why didnt someone tell me about this earlier????????:blue-confused:

Havent chimed in in a while..Sorta got into the power kiting thing and the winter weather has been bad but I finally got to fly my new Zen for a few minutes. I was standing in the middle of a terrible swirly low wind field and simply struggled to get anything to fly for more than a few minutes but had to fly. Was getting muddy and frustrated, but having a great time. So I pulled out the new Zen and was amazed that this kite basically launches itself in the most horrible wind conditions and just wanted to fly itself. Absolutly the best purchase any Rev flyer can make if the are in rough wind or light to no wind situations. The launch is incredible with the flex of the rods and the construction is the absoulute best. Why didnt someone tell me about this earlier????????;)

Yeah...Yeah...Yeah...Someday I will have a Zen too!!!

Till then I'll just keep wishing!

(If the damn IRS would just give me some money back instead of taking it all the time!!)

Thanks for your post...it only confirms by desires! :blue-confused:

Keep It Up!

Duane