KiteLife Forum

Anchor & Winder Set-Up

Guru4tru

This should be titled: “A Rainy Saturday Morning!”

Awhile back I decided I should have at least one good single line kite to fill my Kite Portfolio”. And by “luck” I bought a “GREAT” kite. I got a Gomberg Skyform60. It’s almost totally hassle free and truly beautiful in flight!

The only problem was setting up an anchor and winding system and this is what I came up with.

My Anchor & Winder Set-Up for My Gomberg SKYFORM60

(Note: I do not know if this set-up would be adequate for stronger pulling kites or lifters. So take caution and be sure to check out the strength of this, or any, anchor set-up that you might use against the pull of your kite before ever flying your kite. Failure to do so could result in property damage, personal harm, or death! Any information used here is at your own risk. Neither Kitelife, Gomberg Kites nor I will assume any responsibility for anything dealing with the construction or use of this anchor set-up. This is for informational purposes only---Duane's Show & Tell! (For information on how to anchor large kites see: http://www.gombergkites.com)

The Anchor:

At Lowes, in the concrete and sand section, they have these 11/16” dia. steel rods of different lengths with points already on them (use about a 3” piece of garden hose to cover each rod points when not in use). I got (1) 36” long and (2) 18” long rods. I drilled and force screwed a metal cross piece on the flat ends of the short rods about 3” from the end. And added a flared piece of metal the same way about 6” from the pointed ends of each rod. If you have a welding machine, that would be the best way to attach these items.

Then I got about a 38” galvanized pipe with a 3/4” ID (inside dia.) and forced a screw type fitting on the one end and drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the fitting for a set screw. And I got a 4”coupling and slid it down the other end so the top was about 9” from the end, and tightened it down on the pipe. I made up two hooks for tying the line to out of 1/4” steel rods, as shown in the picture, and covered them with polyurethane tubing and strapped them to the pipe with (2) heavy duty nylon ties on each and added safety chains, as shown, incase the ties malfunctioned.

I made up a metal cap out of pipe fittings to put over the ends on the rods for hammering them into the ground as to not cause the ends of the rods to flange out.

The Winder:

This winder holds 500’ of both 300# and 500# line. I cut (3) 6 1/2” dia. wooden circles out of 3/8” plywood and got a 10” piece of PVC pipe with about an inch plus ID (inside dia.), large enough to slide over the galv. pipe. Using the PVC pipe OD (outside dia.) as a template I marked the circle in the center of the wooden circles, and cut the center holes in them. I took a slightly larger PVC pipe, that would slip over the 10” pipe, and cut (2) pieces off, one 2 1/2” and the other 3 1/2” to use as spacers. Slide one wooden circle on the 10” PVC pipe, then the 2 1/2” spacer, then another wooden circle, then the 3 1/2” spacer, then the last wooden circle. Push them together about centered on the 10” PVC pipe and epoxy the whole thing together. After it dries, add a handle for winding on the end with the smallest spacer. The 300# line will go in the smaller space at the top of the winder.

Use about a 7’or 8’ nylon strap 1” wide with loops at both ends (can be bought from Gomberg Kites) and using a Larkshead knot, tie it to the center of the 4” coupling on the galvanized pipe.

I use a 4# sledge hammer and drive the 3’ steel rod into the ground at about a 30 to 40 degree angle, pointed toward the kite, until it is firmly seated in the ground.

Then I slide the galvanized pipe over it, with the line hooks facing toward the kite, until it touches the ground and tighten the set screw on the fitting.

Then take the nylon straps and put them around the 18” rods. Pull each rod tight behind the center pipe and off to the side at about 45 degrees. Hammer each rod into the ground at about a 30 degree angle pointing toward the center pipe and beyond the flare on the rod until they are both firmly set in the ground.

Now slide the winder on the top of the galvanized pipe and it will rest on top of the 4” coupling. I use (2) red wooden balls and a red pool play tube to mark the anchor brightly as to help to avoid tripping over it.

Then you are ready to go. I use a wide nylon strap with Velcro tabs on it to wrap around the line that is not going to be used, so it doesn’t unwind when working with the other line. I just decide which line poundage is desired and walk off the distance desired. Then I return and wrap the line around the top hook and tie it in place (the second hook is for assisting with and line length changes while flying). Then I walk back to the end of the line with my kite and tie it on the line per standard procedure and let it fly.

Important Note: Never fly the kite directly from the winder, always fly from the line hooks. The winder in not constructed to handle the pull of a kite and it is not connected to the anchor. The winder just rest on top of the anchor for easy line release and winding, which in both cases should be done without the kite connected to the line.

If anyone else has an anchor set-up...I’d like to hear about it! Thanks!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

I've also branched out into flying the big kites. Apprenticed myself off to a couple different big kite fliers at several different festivals ... trade my work for their info type of deal. Some are very fanatical about creating an anchor point that, if it fails, has a minimum of heavy stuff attached to the end of the line. If the anchor point fails, they claim that the lighter the load the quicker the kite will collapse and come down of it's own accord. They point out that if the anchor fails and the stake is still attached to the line it becomes a missile with the chance of doing bodily harm to someone as it goes across the kite field.

Most will drive two construction form stakes into the ground so that they are crossed just above the ground level. They then run a loop of nylon strapping between the ground and the two stakes, bring the loop up and forward over the stakes, and then, pull it tight. The line is then attached to the other end of the nylon loop with a carabiner. Sorry, I don't currently have any pictures to show you what I mean. Can get some later if you would like. That approach works quite well for the type of setup I saw you flying last weekend.

This is another type of stake that I've seen used ... just can't bring myself to pay $32 to $45 per stake.

On the really big kites where large line laundry is added, folks will add some metal to the end of the line for ease of adjustment. You might want to look at this build over on Kitebuilder.com. I've used that set-up and it is really slick for adjusting the line lengths.

I'm still trying to figure out what approach will work best for me, so thanks for the ideas. Right now I'm able to drive the Jeep out into the middle of my flying field and tie off to the receiver hitch. Festival organizers probably will frown on that approach.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information! You mentioned, "Sorry, I don't currently have any pictures to show you what I mean. Can get some later if you would like."

Yeah, if you run across those pictures I'd like to see them!

I was watching Barry's crew screwing those massive screws in the ground for their "BIG" kites with a power driving machine. One thing for sure---those weren't going to come loose!! heehee!

Thanks for your comments!

(The sun is coming out now....so, I'm out of here!!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 1 month later...

... Yeah, if you run across those pictures I'd like to see them! ...

One of my big kite mentors, Darryl Waters, finally posted this picture and writeup on another forum:

"Big Box hardware stores carry "contractor stakes" for $2-3 each. Half inch diameter in various lengths (I've seen 18, 24, 36 and 42 inches long). I use two to anchor my Peter Lynn giant show kites.

Here's how I do the straps on them. Cross them as close to the ground as possible. Take your strap, and go under the crossover, then loop over the top of the stakes. Holds securely, but if they ever pull out, you have your best chance that the straps will let go of the anchors (it's not actually tied to them, just looped around them) and drop them instead of dragging them through the field.

Darryl"

Darryl is one of the major "big kite" fliers in the mid-west. You'll find he has a neat collection of show kites, lifters and plain old big kites. He's very willing to share his knowledge and experiences.

Look him up at the Grand Haven kite festival. Oh yes, tell him you loved seeing his TV presentation on digging sand anchors into the beach. Seriously, one of the news reporters interviewed him one year at Grand Haven while he was digging in the sand ... wish I could find that news cast again ... it was a real hoot!!!

Cheers,

Tom

post-3460-0-40054800-1298735269_thumb.jp

Hi Jeepster!!

Hey...You got a ""RED JEEP""!! That really livens-up your avatar!! heehee!!

======

Thanks for the picture!

Your kite staking certainly is simple...and the simpler things are--the better things usually are!

When it's this simple though, you don't get to post a lengthy instruction sheet with color pictures and diagrams!! heehee!

But, the 2 stake set-up doesn't have a winder holder and extra tie-down to help change line lengths.

I might try to set up some way of checking the strength of the 2 way against each other. My set-up has three stakes instead of 2 and the front stake is being pulled from the middle and at the perpendicular, which means it would have to plow forward without being able to plow backwards at the point.

I guess I need to tie the different methods to my truck with some kind of scale hooked in between the stakes and the truck...and find some fool to stand there and read the scale as I drive off pulling them out of the ground....if I only had a jeep!?!?

Hey!! That’s a great idea! You do it and tell me about it!! heehee!!

======

How do you tie the kite line to the straps?

Keep IT Up!

Duane

It does look as though there is a better chance of "dropping" the stakes than most methods of anchoring (with the exception of a loose loop around a single large stake).

================

@Guru4Tru: I expect a Sheet Bend would work well. It usually is about the most secure for bending one line to another of a larger size or irregular shape.

It would require passing the reel through the loop in the strap and using a Slipped Sheet Bend.

To avoid having to pass the reel through the loop, it might be possible to tie the Sheet Bend entirely "slipped" (tie the whole knot with a bight of the smaller flying line), but I have never seen any info on the security of such a method.

I use a large loop of 1" webbing like you see in Darryl's picture. The looped webbing is handy for hooking up to fence posts, the rear hitch on the Jeep, etc.. On the kite end of the webbing is a carabiner ... cheap $1 ones for small kites and rock climbing types for the larger kites. I use a cats paw to attach the line to the carabiner. Since the cats paw starts out as a larks head and progresses by adding extra twists, it can be tied with one hand ... just takes a little practice. To untie the knot simply open the carabiner latch and slide the knot off ... it's very easy on the line.

Some of the big kite guys use the homemade attachment in the Tie Down picture. It's basically the loop of 1" webbing with an aluminum bar added at the kite end for stiffness. Two cleats are added; one to hold the main line and one to hold the show kites that are attached to the main line. The dual cleat arrangement allows both kites to be adjusted independently. The ring at the top is added to keep everything in align with the kite. Some big kite guys are very conscientious about reducing the amount of metal on the lines, thus they tend to stay away from this arrangement.

As to extra metal on the line ... I am able to park the Jeep in the middle of my flying field and tie off to the hitch ... 4000# of anchor sure does the trick!!!!

I just bought one of these Giant Chalk Boxes from Amazon ... notice the Sharpie pen just above it in the picture. It currently has 150 feet of Gomberg's 500# line on it ... looks like it might hold 200 feet comfortably. Only time will tell if it's as functional as it first seems.

Cheers,

Tom

post-3460-0-83317400-1298905241_thumb.jp

post-3460-0-01923800-1298905840_thumb.jp

Hi Jeepster!!

Hey...You got a ""RED JEEP""!! That really livens-up your avatar!! heehee!! ...

Yep, you pushed me into it! Earl Scheib fixed the avatar up for only $79.95!!

A fancy form of red is my current Jeep color, so it's fitting.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Jeepster!!

Hey...You got a ""RED JEEP""!! That really livens-up your avatar!! heehee!! ...

Yep, you pushed me into it! Earl Scheib fixed the avatar up for only $79.95!!

A fancy form of red is my current Jeep color, so it's fitting.

Cheers,

Tom

WOW!!...Only $79.95...What a deal!! I wonder how much mine would have cost?!?!

=======

OK...I like all the methods I've heard, (and I will admit that I probably wouldn't go with my winder/line attachment "thing" if I was flying a "Real Lifter"...but Im not sure yet), but I think I came up with a simple way of checking the strength of these methods out.

I'm going to set up my winder/holder thing like normal, (and the other methods separately), and simply tie different pound test lines to it...run it through a 2000# cap. pulley attached to a BIG tree limb to get about the proper angle and tie it to the front (I want to watch) of my truck....then Ill put my truck in reverse and see if the line breaks before the method is pulled from the ground. When a line breaks, I will just UP the lines poundage test to the next level (or combine 2 strands) and do it again...until the line holds and the "method" is up-rooted!! Sounds GOOD to me!! (Of course this should probably be done with a RED JEEP!! heehee!!)

Next question: I know that knots can reduce the poundage of a line considerably....but, I dont know much about knots. What is the best knot to use for such an endeavor?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Next question: I know that knots can reduce the poundage of a line considerably....but, I don’t know much about knots. What is the best knot to use for such an endeavor?

As I said, a Sheet Bend is the best knot for connecting a thin line to a thick or irregular line.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS357&q=sheet+bend&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

and

http://bit.ly/hxTqJm

...for pages explaining the Sheet Bend and the Slipped Sheet Bend.

Next question: I know that knots can reduce the poundage of a line considerably....but, I don’t know much about knots. What is the best knot to use for such an endeavor?

As I said, a Sheet Bend is the best knot for connecting a thin line to a thick or irregular line.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS357&q=sheet+bend&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

and

Thanks Pete---Looks like a good knot! I'll run some heavier leader line off the truck and the kite tie down method and attach the test line between the two with that knot----then HIT REVERSE!! heehee!! :)

and

Thanks Pete---Looks like a good knot! I'll run some heavier leader line off the truck and the kite tie down method and attach the test line between the two with that knot----then HIT REVERSE!! heehee!! :)

Well...Yeah.....OK...So much for “PLAN A”! The knots held!! heehee!

“The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray!”

It isn’t that bad though...just a little dent---It missed my windshield, that’s good!! heehee! I’m not sure which was worse...my wife running around taking pictures with a smirk on her face...or...Elvira’s uncontrolled cackling!!

OK...on to “PLAN B”-----Let Jeepster do it! heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

What are the last 5 words a “red-neck” says before they take him to the emergency ward?

“Hey You All--Watch This!!”

I have to confess, I WAS wondering about pulling something towards where you were sitting. The description seemed to indicate more of a downward pull than straight at you, so I didn't say anything.

Glad that it caused no more damage than it did.

There are two schools of thought: One says, "It will heal." The other says, "It can be fixed." Frankly, I'm not sure which I belong to.

I once twisted in mid-air to catch a 200# fully machined flywheel casting on my chest (to protect it from damage) as I was falling. Maybe that put me in the "It will heal" camp. I survived with no serious injury, but it caused a momentary panic in the shop where I was working. I was a teen-ager then.

I think I may have moved more to the "It can be fixed" camp at age 67. I now visualize throwing delicate valuables, like glassware, away from me when descending stairs. (I have somewhat "trick" knees and ankles these days.)

At any rate, your point of view on the subject will determine how you approach experiments involving high-tension cords - like kite-lines. You DID say you wanted to watch, so I hope you enjoyed the mayhem.

Did you say there were pictures being taken? I hope you will share some more with us. Object lessons are always good. laugh.gif

Usually the sentence right before that is "Here hold my beer!"

Bummer ...

-Tom

That's funny!!

No...I was just kidding! I just "set it up" for the pictures and made sure to get a beer in the picture so it would be believable! :)

I was think about everything that could go wrong in testing the anchors and that was one of my thoughts!! heehee!! Although the dent in my hood was caused by a tree limb falling on it, but that was during the last hurricane. And that was the least of my concerns then...had to replace the roof on my house after that one!! heehee!

And Pete, at our age your: One says, "It will heal." The other says, "It can be fixed." There should be one more camp, "I can live without it!" (as pieces start falling off!) heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane