KiteLife Forum

Taking the plunge...

RobB

Hey there...

I fly 2 line kites 99% of the time, and SLKs and quads the rest. I've been thinking lately of plunging into the Rev world for those days that the wind is over 15mph, and dual line flying isn't that much fun. I've been thinking about a Rev 1.5 SLE vent, as it will only be used in winds over 15mph. Wondering what line length/strength to look for, and which handles. This will be my first Rev, so any advice would be helpful...

Thanks,

~Rob.

When you ask a question like you've just asked, you usually get ten different answers from about eight posters. Everyone must be watching the football games.

Almost all of my line sets are 90#. Only two exceptions ... one 80 foot 50# line set for some four foot Rev-like kites and one 80 foot 150# line set for a six stack of five foot Rev-like kites. The one length that you'll definitely need if you fly with others is 120 foot. The extra length will slow the kite down a little in high winds and give you a much larger wind window.

The second length depends on what others in your area fly with for medium length lines. IKE used to use 80 foot lines, but since Kite Party requires 75 foot line sets we've gradually gravitated to the shorter length.

If you're a dual line pilot, you probably favor Shanti line. That's still a good choice if you're always going to be flying by yourself. But, if you fly with others, the Shanti line will cause some problems. It doesn't have a coating like Laser Pro and sometimes the weave will open up when wrapped sharply around the lines of other fliers.

Handles? The stock 13 inch Rev handles have worked for many years. The new 13 inch clipless handles are my favorites though. No snagging of the top lines on the bottom "D" ring. Much cleaner looks. Even JB had his stock handles modified with clipless inserts when Walt has doing that modification.

You might also consider ordering an additional set of leading edge rods ... 1/4 inch diameter 3-wrap configuration ... for those slightly lighter than 15 mph winds.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Rob,

I've only been flying Revs. for about a year and 3/4s...(but most every day)...and I have never flown an SLE, and probably won't because I haven't heard any great reviews on the SLE except form the sellers...... "except" that you can ram the hell out of it without breaking it...and that the LE is also good for holding up tomato plants...(That should bring out the SLE Lovers!!) heehee!

But, I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.

I have 4 Revs. (2 STD, 1 Mid vent & 1 full vent) The most enjoyable Rev. I have is the full vent!! It's really a great flying kite and reacts perfectly...(well, it reacts as good and sharp as my imputs)...that's when there is enough wind. Unfortunately, seldom do I get to fly it because the wind normally doesn't get that strong, but, I'm "really happy" when it does!! "15mph" and she's in the air! (Her name in "Windy"!!)

I would suggest a "JB PRO FULL VENT"...yeah, it's expensive...but, in my opinion--it's well worth it!! (I had to skip a night out to cover the extra cost, but that night is gone and the kite is still here with me!)

I fly with 13" handles. I have a set of 15" but I like the 13" better, probably because I'm just more used to flying with them. I fly with all 90# laser gold pro at lengths of 80", 100' & 120', depending on the space I'm flying in, but usually run with the 120' whenever I can.

Here is my Full Vent balancing on top of MrDenny's head!! (He was risking his life!!) heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

PS...I wrote this while watching the game!!

You might also consider ordering an additional set of leading edge rods ... 1/4 inch diameter 3-wrap configuration ... for those slightly lighter than 15 mph winds.

Ok Guru4tru, I felt a distinct jab there.............(just kidding) ! Gotta take up for the poor old SLE, now !!

Hey Rob >>>> What Jeepster said...........definately..........just because you have a SLE, with the 7/16" super leading edge (SLE), doesn't mean that you can't replace that 7/16" super leading edge, with a set of standard 1/4" 3-wrap rods, for those lighter wind days (an inexpensive fix). Don't loose site of that fact, which will really turn the 1.5 SLE, into a very different rev, adding a bit of versatility.

The SLE is a great kite to learn on, and even though you have a lot of two line experience, I can just about guarantee you, that you are going to experience some very hard landings, with the rev, during your initial learning process. And yes, Jeepster also mentioned that 100+ foot line set. Well, not only does that help slow the kite down, just a bit, and give you a larger wind window to work in, but (IMHO) all of that boils down to giving you a bit more reaction time, when that kite is heading south, at a high rate of speed. As Jeepster said, you are going to get a bunch of different opinions here, which are all worth exactly what you paid for them, or should I say, what you make of them, however, everyone has their own experiences to pull from. So personally, I think it makes good sense, to go through the learning curve, with a kite that's not going to cost you an arm and a leg (just a few toes), and then if you like that, move your way on up to a B-series, and if the notion stays with you, then go for that JB-Pro, or whatever. I doubt it seriously, but you just might hate revs, again, I really doubt that will be the case, but get out there and test the water. You'll never get that perfect set-up, that suits you to a tee, on the first try, so ease into this thing..........again (IMHO)

I do agree with Guru4tru, on the full-vent issue, though. I will have to say, that out of the 9 revs, that I currently own, my favorite (if I could only keep one), would definitely be the 1.5 B-series "full-vent". If I didn't fly on the coast, I'd probably pick the 1.5 B-series mid-vent. But call that SLE a pile of tomato stakes if you like, it's still a great kite, and I bet there are a lot of rev fliers out there, that began this wonderful journey, with an SLE on the ends of their lines. And yes, it's a tank, comparatively speaking, but it's a good tank, and it will serve you well..............and there's plenty of time to think about that next move, and should you continue to relegate your 15 mph+ days to the rev, then when it's time for that next move, definitely consider that full vent rev, whether it be another SLE, a B-series, or a B-Pro. But for now, don't overlook the SLE. As mentioned, in the very first paragraph, on the 1.5 SLE page, on the Revolution website: "The REV 1.5 SLE, continues to be the most dominant quadline sportwing on the market today, both with leisure fliers and competitors alike", and yes, as Guru4tru said, they are selling the SLE, but I'm not.........

Good Luck with your choices !

nick

Wow, glad to see the full vent gets a universal thumbs up. I have some quad line experience with a Spirit quad and some 4 line foils, and have hoped to find an Airbow before someone beat me to it... still not successful in that... I know Revs are the most popular, probably because they're the best at what they do... I've just had trouble up until now with the flying bowtie design, to me the only thing visually attractive thing about a Rev is the way they can be flown (in expert hands) and sometimes, I've seen nice looking custom sail prints.

I might have a chance to fly with others once or twice a year, so is the 120' line length still important ? I really only want to buy one set of lines & handles, because I plan on keeping this to a 1 kite simple diversion, and still spending the majority of my fly time on dual line. I have just gotten lazy as I get older, and don't want to run full speed down the beach to do some flic-flacs anymore... Just need something that's fun to fly without risking a twisted ankle or a faceplant in a pile of beach debris...

Thanks !

~Rob.

Hi Rob,

As Jeepster mentioned, "The one length that you'll definitely need if you fly with others is 120 foot." That's what they fly on in "group flys" normally. MrDenny and I fly together and before we fly we decide what length to fly on, because we have the whole range covered. So, if you are only going with one set...90#--120' would be the way to go.

When I read, "I plan on keeping this to a 1 kite simple diversion." I had to smile!!

I was flying dualies and wanted no part of the Rev. world...I just didn't like them. But, my wife was having some difficulty with flying the dual liners, so I bought her a Rev.

I tried flying it and it would just lift off the ground and smash back down, over and over again, which really confirmed that I wanted no part of them. But my wife, after a little while, coulds keep it in the air. So, we'd go out flying and I'd just try flying her Rev. once in awhile. Here's a picture of my 4th Rev., that I just received the other day.

Since I got hooked into the Rev. world I've been neglecting my dual liners. I took my UL nirvana out the other day for the first time in maybe 6 months. I don't know why it was so hard for me to catch on to how to fly the revs. at first. Maybe it was because I was a dual line flyer, but my wife really surpassed me in the beginning and she's usually pretty klutzy with things. But, when that something "clicked on" in my brain...I was hooked!! So, good luck with your, "1 kite simple diversion". (You may have heard of "Rev. Clinics"...that's where they sent people that are really hooked...it's sort of like a drug rehab.) heehee!!

Got a forcast of 15 to 20mph wind today with gusts as high as 25...***YES*** Windy (fullvent) is going to get some AIR TIME!! (The full vent levels out the gusts really well too.)

Keep It Up!

Duane

PS One thing I like about this forum is that I fly kites...dual, quad & single liners...and it's all here!!

Looks like you're in good hands here Rob. :)

I'll just add in my 2 cents on lines...

90# x 120' is ideal for group flying, I like it for individual as well.

90# x 85' sort of the "stock" set sold by shops, just fine if you're not going to play with groups.

Same as with dual lines, the longer your lines, the more sky you have to cruise around in... Shorter lines give the feeling of quicker response, mostly due to the smaller wind window.

In higher winds (in which you might be favoring the Rev), 150# lines are lovely as they make the kite a little more docile and manageable.

Most of us here fly it all, dual and quad... You know me, I'm a sucker for both. ;)

Looks like you're in good hands here Rob. :)

I'll just add in my 2 cents on lines...

90# x 120' is ideal for group flying, I like it for individual as well.

90# x 85' sort of the "stock" set sold by shops, just fine if you're not going to play with groups.

Same as with dual lines, the longer your lines, the more sky you have to cruise around in... Shorter lines give the feeling of quicker response, mostly due to the smaller wind window.

In higher winds (in which you might be favoring the Rev), 150# lines are lovely as they make the kite a little more docile and manageable.

Most of us here fly it all, dual and quad... You know me, I'm a sucker for both. ;)

Well, I like to fly on long lines when I can, and I figure it will be different with a quad, being that they're more controllable, it won't matter that half my wind window will be over the water. I fly on a narrow beach most of the time, and tricking a dual line kite over the water caused me alot of time in the repair shop this fall. I think I broke half a dozen kites in two months from unexpected landings in the waves. 85' lines are long for my beach, and only at dead low moon tide can you fly on 100' lines without a considerable amount of the window being over the water.

It would be nice to be able to fly with people when I do make it to a festival or two per year. So, it sounds like the 120s are the way to go...

~Rob.

Hey Rob,

One of the great things with a Rev is that it will "fly" in the water!!! Maybe JB will be good enough to post a couple of links to some of his water flying.

The real secret is to not panic when the kite goes in the drink. Simply picture the water as "thick" air and literally fly it back out. The water is much heavier than air and the kite slows way down, so be patient and don't try to rush it by pulling hard. A hard pull is guaranteed to break rods. The only caution is to not try it when the waves are high ... "catch a wave" was written for surfing not kiting.

Cheer,

Tom

One of the Rev tutorials I have on my to do list is water flying, hopefully before too long. ;)

Hey Tom & John...

I land the two liners in the water purposely, submerge & take off again. It's just when a trick goes bad that the relaunch isn't possible sometimes. During the fall, Long Island Sound is particularly angry, and even though the waves are less than 5 feet, they are very violent. Crush, Crack, Smash !

My little experience with 4 lines gives me the impression that the unintentional landing is less common than with 2 lines.

I think I have a clip with my Elixir landing & taking off submarine style... I'll have to poke around...

~Rob.

To elaborate on a topic, I'm actually one of those originally responsible for propagating the "tomato stake" reference to SLE spars (not the kite)... Experience fliers are of 99% consensus that the SLE rods are way too stiff for performance flight, often joked about being used for "tomato stakes", flag poles or corporal punishment. :)

In all truth, the SLE kite (sail) is quite excellent, especially since it now comes with a 1/4" LE that folks can use instead of the SLE spars which are designed more to be bullet-proof than anything else.

Y'all know this, just elaborating for posterity. ;)

To elaborate on a topic, I'm actually one of those originally responsible for propagating the "tomato stake" reference to SLE spars (not the kite)... Experience fliers are of 99% consensus that the SLE rods are way too stiff for performance flight, often joked about being used for "tomato stakes", flag poles or corporal punishment. :)

In all truth, the SLE kite (sail) is quite excellent, especially since it now comes with a 1/4" LE that folks can use instead of the SLE spars which are designed more to be bullet-proof than anything else.

Y'all know this, just elaborating for posterity. ;)

Well, I went with the B series vent. I'm sure to have a lot of questions once I start flying it... It's been over 5years since I've flown anything with more than 2lines, and never flew a Rev....

Well, I went with the B series vent. I'm sure to have a lot of questions once I start flying it... It's been over 5years since I've flown anything with more than 2lines, and never flew a Rev....

Rob, you made a good choice ...

I agonized over the SLE vs the B-series for my first REV. Ordered the SLE on a Sunday only to call up the kite store as soon as they opened on Monday to change the order to a B-series. Although I now have three SLE's (SUL configuration) in my kite bag, my first B-series kite is still a main stay.

Oh yes, want to see it? It's the purple full sail in the GWTW calendar for November. You'll notice that JB and TK are following my lead ... trying to learn/duplicate some of my more interesting moves. They both know that it's always a good idea to stay behind any pending disaster!!!

Welcome to the dark side. I'm betting you'll own at least a second REV before the end of the year.

Cheers,

Tom

Welcome to the dark side. I'm betting you'll own at least a second REV before the end of the year.

Hey Jeepster, Want to bet there's at least two additional REVS by year's end. It is only January, you know !;)

Y'all know this, just elaborating for posterity. :)

Hi Rob,

You made a good decision! For the wind you are talking about, there is no kite better then a B-series full vent. The B-series Pro or Pro Fade might be a little more glamorous, but as for function…you are buying the best!

I’m a true-blue “crash and burn” learner and I have smashed the hell out of my first Rev. and I haven’t broken a single rod yet. I flew dualies first and I broke probably every rod on my first dual liner, some more then once, so when I got a Rev. I ordered a whole bunch of extra rods...but I haven’t needed a single one yet. I figure “maybe” I’ve just been lucky, but like with the dual liners, if I had the chance before a crash I’d give slack. And with the Rev. the worst crash is coming down at an angle...crashing the LE horizontal (flat) on the ground is the way to go, if you have any time to respond to things.

Like I said, I bought a lot of spare rods, that I haven’t had need for, so if you break a rod contact me and I’ll send a couple out to you!

==============

And thanks John for your comments...it's said that sometime I have too much fun! heehee!!

;)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Well, I flew the B series vent... THANK YOU, Dan !

I need alot of work, as I haven't flown a quad line kite in over 5 year, and never flew a Rev. I would've helped if the fresh lineset wasn't tangled from the factory, that cost alot of time & frustration, but once I got the mess straightened out, the kite flew great. Now, if I could get the same control I used to have over the Spirit Quad...

I had a dual line kite out as a crutch to fall back on. Also, the Rev vent wasn't too happy with winds under 10mph.... maybe I should've tried the 3 wrap sticks. Crazy thought... does anyone put tape over the vents when the wind goes low ?

~Rob.

post-786-004545500 1297046735_thumb.jpg

Well, I flew the B series vent.. Also, the Rev vent wasn't too happy with winds under 10mph.... maybe I should've tried the 3 wrap sticks. Crazy thought... does anyone put tape over the vents when the wind goes low ?

Hey Rob, I hate to mention this, but in your picture, it appears that you have the vertical spars on the front side of the Rev. They definitely go on the back. Be glad that the wind didn't get up, too much. That could have surely spelled disaster, on your first day out. Don't fret though, you are not the first, and probably won't be the last...............:dual:

Now as for that tape question...........do you remember that earlier quote from Duane, in this forum, - "When I read, "I plan on keeping this to a 1 kite simple diversion." I had to smile!!" - Well, Duane wasn't the only one smiling.............That's why most of us eventually end up with a set, "Standard, Mid-Vent, & Full Vent". That bug will bite, sooner or later..........:)

Now as for the line problems, watch JB's tutorial on line management...........it sure got me straightened out

Just trying to help...........nick

Good eyes Reef Runner! :dual:

Yep...I started flying with the rods on the front of mine too...that just seemed to me like the right place to put them!! heehee!!

And I wrote a post asking if there was a way to open or close the vents, too, but no one had a good way of doing it, although many had given it some serious thought. But, if you come up with a way that doesn't add weight or catch in the wind or screw up the kites flight...tell us about it!

I suppose you could tape some saran wrap over the vents, on a very temporary basis, so you could maybe just get a feel of what a "standard" might feel like, but it wouldn't really be the same as a STD. or mid-vent...and I suppose it could harm the sail by stressing parts that normally wouldn't be stressed where the tape is, but you can try it.

If you try anything...report back on it so we can learn from your experiences!

----

Good looking dualie!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

OK, let me get this straight... the vertical spars don't go on the bridle side ? Sorry for a stupid newb question, but I've never even seen a Rev up close. I was impressed with how big it was, BTW.

Luckily, I watched John's line management tutorial before I headed out, but the lineset was wacked from the factory, and needed serious attention to sort it out. I finally got it right, and rolled them up using his sugggested method, although I think I'll disconnect the handles the next time, so everthing fits back in the case.

I was thinking of clear packaging tape over the vents, as it's pretty low tack and would come right off. most of my vented duallies have velcro to adjust or close the vents. Just a thought.

It was fun, but I can't see wanting to fly four lines in good 2 line tricking wind. I think it worked out perfect to have the four line vent sitting there, waiting for the wind to come up... when it did, I'd land the duallie, and fly the quad for a while, until the wind came back down, and then switch back. Now I won't be dreading March, at least...

~Rob.

OK, let me get this straight... the vertical spars don't go on the bridle side ? Sorry for a stupid newb question, but I've never even seen a Rev up close. I was impressed with how big it was, BTW.

Luckily, I watched John's line management tutorial before I headed out, but the lineset was wacked from the factory, and needed serious attention to sort it out.

To quote JB............."No question is stupid"

YES - you've got it straight, the vertical spars DO NOT go on the bridle side of the kite - they need to be behind the sail, where they can give the sail some support, against the force of the wind. With the spars in front of the sail, the sail simply balloons out behind them, and should you get a good gust, it's entirely possible to have one of the leading edge spars, to snap. With no support from the verticals, all of the force from the wind, is basically transferred to the center of the leading edge. I'm really glad you didn't get one of those 15 - 20 mph gust, yesterday. But now, just wait till your next flight. Man are you in for a surprise !

And yes, on the line management. After doing this several times, you will learn how easy it is to tangle, hence the detail in JB's video. You'll also learn just where NOT, to allow your winder to make a turn or twist. Just get yourself a system, form a habit, and stick to it. The proof will be in the unwind. Just out off curiosity, are you using a kite stake? If not, this makes it much easier when rewinding the lines, beginning at the kite, and working back towards the handles. Also, make sure that you are staked at the top of the handles, rather than the bottom. As for removing the handles, lots of people don't remove them. On a personal note, I always remove my lines from the handles, once I have wound everything, all the way back to the staked handles, being very careful not to introduce any unwanted turns of twist, at this point. On occasion, if I am going to be flying again, in a very short time, I may strap the line & winder to the handles, but rarely, if I am putting up for the day. I suppose if you have a set of handles, for every set of lines, it's ok, other than packing up, but every time I do this, I end up wanting to use a different set of lines, the next time out, and I end up having to switch lines.

I promise, you'll figure it out, and there's plenty of help here, on this forum..............good luck

nick :dual:

ps..........if it makes you feel any better, I think I read somewhere, where Mr "B" himself, may have made, the "vertical spar" mistake, way way back in the beginning of his Rev career. If I am wrong, I am sure he will correct me. That may not be right, but I thought I read that somewhere. Hey John, how about clear that up for us. I sure don't want to be starting any rumors !

"....the Rev vent wasn't too happy with winds under 10mph.... maybe I should've tried the 3 wrap sticks."

~Rob.

Hi Rob,

Yep...rods on the back, and "normally" the kite comes with a set of #2 & #3 wrap "rods". If you got yours with a #3 & #4 wrap rods, then what you said above is correct---the 3 wrap would have been better in light wind.

If you don't already know this...the rods run from lowest wraps number, being for the lightest winds, up to the 4 wrap for heaviest wind. The "racing rods" are considered to be about a stiffer 2 wrap and you can combine the 2 wrap and 3 wrap in the leading edge to come up with about a 5 wrap if things really get heavy, but I've never been there yet!

BTW--if anyone hasn't done something before, like fly a Rev., they have to have questions. There is nothing even related to Rev. flying in this world...except Rev. flying! heehee!!

I once ask, "How can you tell which rod is which wrap?" and some one told me that the number of feathers on the rod indicate the wrap size...2 feathers = #2 wrap, etc...(So, there are some stupid questions that , at least, "I" was able to come up with!! heehee!!)

I take my lines off the handles after each fly, because I'm a "keep it neat--freak" and I often change line lengths, too.

========

If you try taping the vents, tell me how it goes. I thought of velcro stripes, but the added weight and wind interfereance across the sail made me give that idea up.

Keep It Up!

Duane

...Yep...rods on the back, and "normally" the kite comes with a set of #2 & #3 wrap "rods". If you got yours with a #3 & #4 wrap rods, then what you said above is correct---the 3 wrap would have been better in light wind. ...

Duane is more knowledgeable than that, so he must have taken a mental vacation on this one. The full vent B-series comes with a set of 3- and 4-wrap rods.

If the winds are only about 10 to 15 mph, then the 3-wrap rod set is the best choice. After you've flown for awhile and are comfortable with the kite, the 3-wrap rods can be used up to about 20 mph. Let the kite tell you when to change ... when the leading edge starts to bow excessively, then switch to the 4-wraps. The 4-wraps will serve you well up to about 30 mph, when you'll have to start doubling up the leading edge rods or buy an SLE leading edge rod set. Actually, the fun factor falls off even with the full vent.

Cheers,

Tom

So, there are some stupid questions that , at least, "I" was able to come up with!! heehee

Hey Duane, I still say, "There are NO stupid questions". How in the heck are you going to find out something, if you don't ask? Not many of us are born with these little tid-bits of info, embedded in our brains. I think what would be stupid, is NOT to ask........and you're surely no dummy confused_1.gif

Just a bit more info on the spars.

As I understand it, the standard spars, for the B-series are as follows: (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

Standard Sail - comes with a complete 2-wrap & 3-wrap set.

Mid-Vent - comes with a complete 2-wrap & 3-wrap set.

Full-Vent - comes with a complete 3-wrap & 4-wrap set. (this is what Rob should have)

I think that this is the normal configurations, unless of course, you spec it out differently, at the time of purchase, which is entirely ok.......as most retailers are quite flexible, and will set you up, any way you please......

As for the Spars and identification of such, this might help (direct from the Rev website)

Just look at the silver (formerly gold) labels on each spar.

1/4" internal diameter:

2-wrap = Two feathers and/or "Professional Use Only"

3-wrap = Three feathers and/or "Ultra Light"

4-wrap = Four feathers and/or "Revolution Equipped" and/or "Strong"

Race Rod = Flames and "Race"

Other spars:

SLE = Super Leading Edge 7/16"

Indoor = Indoor Rev

Hope this helps you Rob........................:dual: nick