KiteLife Forum

I Wimped out today!!

Guru4tru

YES!! The Temp. is 84'F and it's mostly sunny out and I'm sitting in here in front of this computer instead of flying. (This probably just happened because of all my bragging about how great things are here!! heehee!!)

This was the worse wind I ever flew in. My wind meter registered wind from about 6 to 27 mph...(usually between 20 and 27) with gust over 35 mph, lasting for 30 seconds or more. I had all my kites with me as usual (in my rocket launcher--heehee!!), but the only kite that would even have a chance in this wind was "Windy" my full-vent Rev.

I put her up with 3 wraps and immediately changed it to 4 wraps, which are like broom sticks in the sky, and even with that I had to adjust my handles so I could dump the wind as I headed for the edge to escape things; and then it would drop to 5 or 6 mph and I'd have to scramble to keep it in the air. After about 15 or 20 minutes I got concerned about Windy's sail getting smashed around so much and took her down..."Wimped-Out!!" (Things weren't much fun coming up on 30 mph anyway and I thought over 35 was possibly dangerous to the kite.)

SO!! To all you experienced Rev. flyers...

"At what wind speed do you personally hang it up?"

Keep It Up!

Duane

With a full vent REV, winds around 25 to 30mph become work. If I've traveled to a festival then I'll hang in there longer and put up with being jerked around ... or get out the Rev II. If flying solo in the neighborhood ... I'll go home at 20 to 25 mph.

I've attached a photo of an SLE full vent that was modified in England ... kite on the bottom. I had a chance to fly it in high winds and liked how it flew so much that I built the Rev-like kite in the top of the picture. Those two kites easily maintain the fun factor for an additional 10 mph.

With the introduction of the XTRA Vent REV kite one should be able to move up in wind speed and still feel comfortable ... and not have to modify or make their own. Maybe Kite Party will give me a chance to try one out.

Cheers,

Tom

post-3460-009577500 1297115644_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeepster,

"NICE JOB" on that kite!! That's a lot of venting, and a lot of work! I suppose if the wind gets strong enough I can just send the frame up with my lines attached! heehee!!

My experiences today sort of called the cut off point (for enjoying the flight) about where you called it for the full-vent.

So, now all I need is a "mega-vented Rev." & a "Zen"...well, luckily for me the wind doesn't normally get that high or that low around here. And besides that the price on my cigars went up again...what use to cost me $1 a cigar...now is $1.60...and the cigars haven't improved a bit!! heehee!! :dual:

Thanks,

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hey Duane,

Sounds like you need to give Mr Eliot Shook a call. I think that 50% vent, would take care of your problem............suggestion, hint, suggestion, hint, suggestion, hint !

It's only money, and you can't take it with you.............:)

post-4670-058610200 1297117593_thumb.jpg post-4670-020741900 1297117583_thumb.jpg

Ahhhhh...Yessss...."The Flying Lawn Chairs!" heehee!!

Actually, I think they are sort of cool, but what do you mean, I can't take "it" with me...of course I can't, because I don't have "IT" to start with...unless maybe I can get my wife a second job!! :dual: heehee!!

I probably shouldn't mention this, but I will, I accidently found a way of adding vents to a kite. I was flying Elvira (mid-vent)...you know the one that I tried to paint a yin-yang symbol on and it wound up being a big black dot because I screwed it up. Anyway I have this routine...I fold the kite up when I'm finished and stick it under my arm, then I wind the line up back to the stake where the handles are then I set the kite down and pull the stake out of the ground and stick it back in the ground away from the handles....well I wasn't paying attention and stuck it through Elvira...You should have heard us scream!! But, she's OK...just took a couple adheasive black circles to mend her up...and they sort of match the other big circle, too. I told her how great they look, but she hasn't forgiven me yet!! heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

I fold the kite up when I'm finished and stick it under my arm, then I wind the line up back to the stake where the handles are then I set the kite down and pull the stake out of the ground and stick it back in the ground away from the handles....well I wasn't paying attention and stuck it through

I know you have got to be kidding here. :dual: You didn't do that.................. :) :)

I fold the kite up when I'm finished and stick it under my arm, then I wind the line up back to the stake where the handles are then I set the kite down and pull the stake out of the ground and stick it back in the ground away from the handles....well I wasn't paying attention and stuck it through

I know you have got to be kidding here. :) You didn't do that.................. :big_beer::argue:

Yeah....It's true.....I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it...now, I'll never hear the end of it from you or Elvira!! (It was really upsetting :) ) BUT...she looks great now with the extra dots!! Really!! And it helps to ballance off the weight of the paint on the big dot, because it's on the other side!! heehee!! :dual:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Those are the winds that I bought my vent for !

I would need a 25mph breeze to keep me cool in that heat... I really wouldn't mind skipping summer all together. If you need more vents, I saw that Rev has an extra vent kite now. Some of the pictures from KTAI showed it. Pretty nice looking kite...

Yeah....It's true.....I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it...now, I'll never hear the end of it from you or Elvira!!

You'll never hear another word from me :dual:

nick

I wish Elvira would say the same thing!

==

And Yeah...those extra vented Revs. do look pretty nice...so do those flying lawn chairs!! OK...That does it!!....I'll have to check out the want adds tomorrow for my wife!! heehee!!

:)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Now that I have the extra vent, I imagine my top (give up) wind range might be around 55-60mph.

John....

You've gotta be kidding!!! RIGHT?!?! 55-60????? No Way!

Are you serious? Hell...40 would be the top for me, before I'd leave the field & start putting up hurricane shutters!! heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

I flew a factory B full vent with double 4 wraps on 150# in 60-65 mph one year... MADNESS, simply nuts.

Now with the xtra vent, it wouldn't be 1/2 as bad.

Remember, iQuad are the "wild bunch" of Rev flying, you name the place, we'll be there to throw down, hell or high water. ;)

Remember, iQuad are the "wild bunch" of Rev flying, you name the place, we'll be there to throw down, hell or high water. :)

Well, how about Jockey's Ridge...........................;)

Nick...

You just wrote a post about how no one goes there...great place to fly, but MY field at least has some kids once in awhile playing on the swings!! heehee!!

How About!!! NEXT YEAR AT TISKC!! Florida is GREAT!! (And JYNX might be here too!! heehee!!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Remember, quad are the "wild bunch" of Rev flying, you name the place, we'll be there to throw down, hell or high water. :)
Well, how about Jockey's Ridge...........................:)

You just wrote a post about how no one goes there...great place to fly, but MY field at least has some kids once in awhile playing on the swings!! heehee!!

It's not that no one goes there, it's just that the times that I've been there, I've never seen but one other REV flier. The place has tons of kite fliers, but it's a big place, so it's easy to go up and not be near any other fliers. There are plenty kids with the diamonds & deltas, and late in the evening, as the sun is going down, the place is crawling with people, but still, plenty of room to fly. I mean, it's right across the street from a very large kite store, so it's to the cash register, and them right up the hill for many, with kites still in the bag. But still, not any rev fliers, and very little emphasis on Revs, over at the kite store (?). Beats me, but they just aren't there, but don't think that there is no one on the hill, and no kite fliers, because there are many, just not in the area where I am flying. They even hold the Rogallo Kite Festival there, every year, in early June, and they used to hold that October event, the "Outer Banks Stunt Kite Competition" there, years ago, but in recent years, that has been moved to the Wright Brothers Memorial Park. By the way, that event is Oct 8th & 9th, this year. http://www.kittyhawk...unity/obskc.cfm So don't think that Jockey's Ridge is deserted, by any means.................it happens to be one of the best places to fly, on the east coast.......;)

Looks like I might be attending the Rogallo Fest on a staff training trip for Kitty Hawk Kites, but no team.

That would be great. I'll check back with you, as the time draws closer................... ;)

ps..........couldn't you bring the team, if Duane sends you a handfull of tickets ?