KiteLife Forum

non synthetic kites

jamie11ms

Hello, I am new here, and very happy to see this website.

I am a homeschooling mother and seamstress. I have always thought about making a kite, and it seems now the time is ripe.

My hope is to find a way to make a kite the traditional way, before all the synthetic plastics came around.

I do have access to bamboo and was thinking of patchwork with silk that I find here and there. These are my first thoughts.

But, I have also been wondering about making a frame from Kudzu vine. I live in the southeast of the U.S. where it has taken over... and my side yard is covered in it.

I guess to be simple, 1. I am looking for a traditional design that would suit a beginner and 2. Has anyone heard of making the traditional frame from anything but bamboo? i.e.vines... and oh yea 3. Is it possible to use lightweight cotton instead of silk?

Thank you for any replies! Jamie

• 3 months later...
I am looking for a traditional design that would suit a beginner and 2. Has anyone heard of making the traditional frame from anything but bamboo? i.e.vines... and oh yea 3. Is it possible to use lightweight cotton instead of silk?

Gee, you asked this back in January, hope you're still around. :)

What you may want to do first is pick up a book on kites. Something like The Penguin Book of Kites by David Pelham, or something similar that shows kites of the world.

Many Asian countries still use bamboo and fabric for kites. Modern Western kitemakers are making Asian kites using modern materials such as carbon, fiberglass and nylon.

Many modern kitemakers use bed sheets and cotton broadcloth for kite sails. My inspiration for kitemaking, Lois Clark, made Hatas with cotton broadcloth and satin stitched applique. Good luck, if you see this. :)

I am looking for a traditional design that would suit a beginner and 2. Has anyone heard of making the traditional frame from anything but bamboo? i.e.vines... and oh yea 3. Is it possible to use lightweight cotton instead of silk?

Gee, you asked this back in January, hope you're still around. :)

What you may want to do first is pick up a book on kites. Something like The Penguin Book of Kites by David Pelham, or something similar that shows kites of the world.

Many Asian countries still use bamboo and fabric for kites. Modern Western kitemakers are making Asian kites using modern materials such as carbon, fiberglass and nylon.

Many modern kitemakers use bed sheets and cotton broadcloth for kite sails. My inspiration for kitemaking, Lois Clark, made Hatas with cotton broadcloth and satin stitched applique. Good luck, if you see this. :)

Boy, you get around easily enough for a guy who's been out of kiteing for 10 years :)

Actually, jamie11ms came over to kitebuilder and we had a grand time :)

Aloha

P.

Oh....okay. :):) Thanks. :)

Boy, you get around easily enough for a guy who's been out of kiteing for 10 years

Actually, jamie11ms came over to kitebuilder and we had a grand time

Like I said, I got that itch and I want to keep it going this time. :)

Yep, we've come a long way.

You're now, Da Man. :) I'm now a grumpy old fart. :)

Any chance we'll be seeing some of your work at nationals in Ocean City this year?

Well....ummmm............<sigh>.............nah. :)

There's a lot of ego in kitemaking and mine's took a smash the last time around. 10 years hiatus wasn't anywhere near long enough to forget all, but it has helped to ease most of the pain. My priorities are different this time. Just for me and the family. Maybe later, maybe. So long as I'm able to keep things in perspective. :)

That has the right sound to it... As a sport kite competitor of 15 years, the only way I've been ab;e to continue enjoying it and growing was to keep my own priorities and intent clear in mind.

If managed, the "arena" can what you make of it. :)