--Pete

Rainbow

11 posts in this topic

I really like my train of 13 Rainbow kites. I think these were my first dual-line kites. I first got a white one which I had a LOT of trouble flying. I added a three-pack (R-O-Y) and trained them with the white one and liked the flying characteristics so much that I got another 3-pack in G-B-V to add to the train. I met another Rainbow flier at Manistee in September of 1987 who had a 6-pack and we hooked both trains together and flew them all weekend. When I got home I ordered another 6-pack and trained them as V-B-G-Y-O-R-R-O-Y-G-B-V-W which is how they are today. As a 13-train they pull like crazy.

post-5920-0-55215600-1298173655_thumb.jp

post-5920-0-99673600-1298173696_thumb.jp

At some point I learned that the only way to land the train with any hope of a relaunch was to take them out to the edge of the wind and crash them on the leading edge just as they stalled. A hard pull on the top line would relaunch them with a quick sweep back into the wind.

I don't have a heavy frame for the lead kite, and I'm always pulling the train lines (200#) apart, so there is some work to be done before I can really say I have it tuned just right.

Create Custom T-Shirts

Great addition Pete!

A little more back story on these:

==

One, Rainbow kites generally had aluminum frames... I've heard from a lot of old fliers about tips and tricks for bending the frame back after a good crash, and that the original handles may have actually had a notch which fliers would use to apply leverage in straightening out the minor bends.

==

Two, these kites were actually created by Steve Edeiken, for whom the American Kiteflier's Association's highest lifetime acheivement award is named.

Info here - http://aka.kite.org/...s/annual-awards

Cited from that link...

The Kiteflier of the Year will be a person who, during their lifetime, will have shown friendly, loving, fair, and even-handed concern for:

1. People in general, but kitefliers in particular,

2. Kiteflying in general, but for craftsmanship and technical developments in particular, and

3. Communication in general, but for leading and participating in kite events in particular.

==

Three, we lost Steve in an unrelated kiting accident while he was working with a large parafoil. :D

==

Tremendous part of our kiting history, all around.

That's really interesting, Pete. I've always wondered how much pull was on one of those stacks! :D They're so pretty to watch.

Yes, the spars are aircraft-aluminum tubing. I've never bent a spine or leading edge spar, but I did crush the lead-kite spreader once in a gust. Hard to believe that there was enough compression to fold it in half. The problem is, is that the line attachment points are welded onto the spars.

Can I modify my original post to add info about the manufacturer (designer), frame, size and so forth? I didn't get this into the original post. I could go do some measuring and checking.

I made a wood box for this train. (Elsewhere I've pointed out that I always drove, never flew, to kite fests, so heavy, clumsy boxes were no problem.) I should get a picture of that included.

Looking for more info on these kites (hard to separate from rainbow-colored kites) I saw a suggestion that these may be among the first few of all 2-line kites.

BTW, the young lady in the landing picture is the wife/girlfriend of they guy who had the other train of Rainbows at Manistee. I can't remember either of their names - sorry. Still, isn't it a cool pic to catch the tails still in the air?

My recollection is that the original handles were designed so that you could adjust the line-length for the day's flying. Somehow I never ended up with lines of identical length, which made flying difficult. I eventually switched to home-made Kevlar ™ linesets, especially after increasing the train to 13 kites. The original lines were no-way strong enough.

Check my Gallery pics to see how I managed my linesets. Pretty funny compared to modern methods. I had some strange ideas about how things had to be done. You can check some of them out in the rec.kites archives wherever they are these days. My email has ALWAYS been pwmeek@something dot something.

I too got hooked on the Rainbow Stunt Kites. My story dates back to the late 70's, I was walking the beach in Lincoln City, OR and came across two guys

flying these colorful stack of 6 kites. I stopped to watch for a few minutes, and then they called me over and introduced themselves. Steve Lamb (the owner of the newly opened kite store Catch the Wind) and Steve Edeiken (the creator of the Rainbows). After much encouragement and a little instruction they had me flying and soon purchasing the first of many Rainbows.

I currently have a 10 and 9 stack, and many more new in the tubes

g1.jpg

g3b.jpg

g21.jpg

g4.jpg

I too got hooked on the Rainbow Stunt Kites. My story dates back to the late 70's, I was walking the beach in Lincoln City, OR and came across two guys

flying these colorful stack of 6 kites. I stopped to watch for a few minutes, and then they called me over and introduced themselves. Steve Lamb (the owner of the newly opened kite store Catch the Wind) and Steve Edeiken (the creator of the Rainbows). After much encouragement and a little instruction they had me flying and soon purchasing the first of many Rainbows.

I currently have a 10 and 9 stack, and many more new in the tubes

You have some serious kite history there. Those tubes look like they've never been opened. Keep them away from UV to protect the sail strength.

Nice pics. I never saw the alternate color 6-pack before.

According to my kite inventory, I got my Rainbows in 1990.

I actually keep the tubes in a large Rubbermaid tote, so they dont see much sun. I also purchased some large carry bags from Into the Wind that the stacks fit into nicely

More of my kite collection

Can I modify my original post to add info about the manufacturer (designer), frame, size and so forth? I didn't get this into the original post. I could go do some measuring and checking.

You should see an "edit" button at the bottom of your post, like this:

post-1-0-73230800-1298279258_thumb.png

Go for it. :D

FYI, Mike (kiteking) has one of the best classic kite collections I've ever seen, always love seeing your stuff at Kite Party buddy! :kid_devlish:

I'm happy to report that Rainbows are also what got me into kiting . . . 30+ years ago. After about 28 years off . . . . I came back to kiting a couple years ago. I still have the first Rainbow I bought, but the tube has long since disintegrated. When I bought my blue single rainbow sometime around 1980 or 1981, I was a teenager and my only income came from mowing lawns and caddying, so the (I think) $12 or $18 I spent on that first one was a lot of money for me back then. As a teenager, I always wanted a stack, but never had one. After starting up with kite flying again . . . I have a certain nostalgia for Rainbows. I picked up one more mint condition blue one early last year . . . . and then 35 or so at Kite Party this spring. I need to get that stack into the air this weekend (or maybe just a third of it)! Think 300 lb line will be enough?

300# line should be about right for 10-15 Rainbows in moderate wind (10-15 mph).

Remember that as the stack gets longer, you will have to be thinking about something to prevent crushing the frame of the lead kite. At one time someone made a "phantom" kite for this purpose: a very strong triangle with no sail that was rigged as the lead kite. I never got one, and haven't seen the specs to make one.If I had to guess, it would be a triangle with apexes matching the position of the train-lines.

I got ones of those with the auction win at Kite Party. Maybe I'll see if I can post up some pictures later.

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

• Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found