KiteLife Forum

first attempt !!!!

stefcad

GREAT Build! :wacko:

As JB stated... Would love to see some helpful specs!

For me, this would be a super no-wind-days project!

I always wanted to get into buggying and try my hand at a build! ...(Helped along by my brothers welding skills!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I used the X-Ray buggy plan as a base and modified a few things. The buggy is 58 inches wide by 62 inches long and is built like a tank, i went overboard on the materials, all stainless 316.

I have drawings of the mods if anyone is interested.

Right now I have pansh kites, until I can acquire better and safer kites, I would love to get a go with a revolution power blaster......

My next one will be made of aluminium with a torque flex suspension and possibly rear pivoting wheels !!!! for realy sharp turns.....

... i went overboard on the materials, all stainless 316....

Overboard? I don't think so. I used 316 SS and 316L for a lot of things when building my house, as well as lots of silicon bronze. Worth every penny. When you want to make it right, the lesser alloys just won't do. w00t.gif

Torque-flex? Won't you still have to provide shock mounts? Might as well keep using coil-over shocks in that case.

By overboard I ment the thickness of the material, front fork and rear axle are 2X2X1/8, a bit to heavy... torque flex is a rotary rubber suspension check it out http://www.lovejoy-inc.com/products/rubber-suspension/ I am preparing the buggy for ice, with skates, I guess it will zoom pretty fast on blue ice. I'll let you know if I survive....

Very cool devices those Torque Flex. Definitely bookmarked. I have a distributor only about 20 minutes away.

I was visualizing something like a torsion bar, like the VW bug suspension (front and back) which would require a lot more hardware.

I would really like to see pics when you get the T-F set up.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how things worked out on the ice - here in Ontario it wasn't very good ice conditions for buggies with blades this year. Not sure where you are located in Canada if you are looking for others to ride with I know people right across the country. The buggy looks good by the way, nice work. i would caution against adding rear steering though, the buggies as is will turn quite sharp and at speed you don't want them turning any sharper you'll end up either getting ejected. Depending on what you ride on (sand/grass/ice/pavement) etc also makes a difference in turning and sometimes you slide and other times a ton of grip when you need to push the side rails to slide out and slough off speed.

Let me know where you're located.

Mark

Hi, The ice buggying was horrible, I tried blades, skis and tried to combine both with no success. Next season my buddy and I will try to figure out the best way to do it. My next project is to kite kayak.....

I live on the south shore of montreal in Quebec. just clik on Member map

So do you buggy at Varennes most of the time? I'll be going there this summer (August) when Normand has the kite festival. Also going to make it to St Honoré this year. Have seen a lot of pictures but so long to drive there for a weekend (13 hrs). I'll bring some buggy gear with me and also kites for the single line festival.

Looking forward to seeing your buggy and hearing how it goes with a kite kayak.

• 4 years later...

Oh, I've got places to run a buggy, just don't have a welder & haven't used one in 25+ years. Of course, I'd want to build out of aluminum, that ups the complexity of the project a bit.